2019 3* SDE/DT Jamond Gordon decommits from AU

WFE12

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Maybe this will help get the ball rolling for other Mississippi guys ?

My guess is we get 2-3: Gordon, Jaren Handy, & maybe Derick Hall. Charles Moore would be nice too.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Great movie with great music

Might be my all time favorite. Probably know more lines in this move than Animal House or Caddyshack (I only watch high brow stuff}?

Anyway back to the regularly scheduled topic: Been looking forward to getting this guy since the first picture showed up of him holding the dog. :AUBig:

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

GraveJoyfulIriomotecat-size_restricted.g

You just flung a serious popcorn craving on me Ellitor!

From a good dude over at College & Mag...

Boom! 3-Star Defensive End Jamond Gordon Commits to Auburn!

Auburn snags their first prospect from the state of Mississippi this cycle.

Auburn has made the state of Mississippi a priority in the 2019 class. The state is loaded with talent, especially along the defensive line. Both Marcus Woodson and Rodney Garner have spent a lot of time in the Magnolia State in an effort to make some inroads. Well, it appears those efforts are paying off.

Today, on Twitter, former Ole Miss commit 3* DL Jamond Gordon committed to the Tigers.

Gordon has long been one of Rodney Garner’s top targets and the Tigers were a big reason why he backed off his initial commitment to the Rebels. Mississippi State was trying to make a push but it appears a recent visit for Big Cat Weekend helped seal the deal for Auburn. Gordon was on campus yesterday for an unofficial visit when the buzz started that Gordon might soon make his decision. He made us wait another 24 hours but in the end he will be a Tiger.

Highlights

Scouting Report

Relentless might be the best way to describe Gordon’s game. The 6’4” 274 DE plays with a high motor every single snap. He’s strong with great length and has the ability to play both in the interior and on the outside. My guess is he eventually grows into a defensive tackle but in Auburn’s defensive scheme these days Garner asks his guys to play pretty much everywhere along the line. Gordon has a chance to develop into a force in the interior over the next 3-4 years for the Tigers.

The Class

Landing Jamond Gordon proves Auburn can in fact successfully recruit some of the top talent out of their neighbor state. It ain’t easy getting top prospects out of Mississippi, so this is big news for the Tigers. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Meridian native won’t be the only Magnolia State DL the Tigers sign this class.

The Tigers now have ten commitments and chances are good that list will continue to grow this summer. I plan to dive more deeply into that subject next week but suffice it to say Auburn sits in a really good spot for a number of their top targets. Got a feeling things are only just getting started for Auburn’s recruiting efforts this summer.

So getting a 3* out of Mississippi is considered a coup? Am i missing something here?

This isn't a 5* or high 4* out of Mississippi that we stole...

On 5/28/2018 at 10:50 AM, AUBwins said:

q23y4.jpg

Gordon will be like this when he comes:

AUvS.gif

That is Gordon. He was placed in a Federal Witness Program after TatooGate. That is why he seems to be very "grown ass man-like". 

On 6/15/2018 at 3:18 PM, thaitopher said:

If there are 37 better WDE's than him then they are unreal players.  A few things about this guy that you don't see in every big man that will make him special.  This kid can move laterally as well as having straight line speed for a big man.  When he gets his hands on a player there are no slip aways for the runner.  This guy plays full speed without giving up on plays.  Also look how many times they have him drop into coverage on tape.  I don't care how many stars he ends up with, this kid will cause major issues for OT's on the next level.  Very versatile kid who can set the edge, play run defense, and rush the passer.  This kid is a huge get for Auburn in my opinion and you will see other teams come after him hard. 

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So getting a 3* out of Mississippi is considered a coup? Am i missing something here?

I think what is exciting about it is that a we got a really really talented DL commit.   The first for the 2019 class.   Despite ️ Ratings,.  This guy is the prototypical Gardner recruit.   I love star ratings personally... But I am a believer that Gordon is a better player than his rating and his offer list.    This is a really solid commit.  

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I hate to say it this way but yes. Apparently you feel recruiting site ratings mean more than CRG's evals. Given the # of DL we are in good shape with, taking JG this early says CRG has JG as high as on DL on his board.

54 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

If there are 37 better WDE's than him then they are unreal players.

Not a WDE. He's either a DT or SDE.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hate to say it this way but yes. Apparently you feel recruiting site ratings mean more than CRG's evals. Given the # of DL we are in good shape with, taking JG this early says CRG has JG as high as on DL on his board.

^^This^^

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

There are a ton of 3*s in the NFL. A lot of kids in states like Mississippi fall through the cracks in the rating system due to the high school they come from or not living on the camp circuit. He’s big, strong, fast, and tenacious. And Garner likes him. I’m excited about this one. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

A lot of kids in states l...fall through the cracks in the rating system due to the high school they come from or not living on the camp circuit.

And because there are over 7000 kids to get rated in each class. No where near an easy task.

Something just posted out to me...Per his stats on his 247 page he had 18.5 sacks last year. I know high school stats can be skewed but that's an eye popping number if true.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I have learned over time that there are situations where star rating has to take a back seat to real talent of which this is a prime example. We will get our share of 4 & 5 star players when it is all said and done. Trust CRG in that he knows what he is doing when it comes to evaluating talent... You are 110% correct Ellitor.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not a WDE. He's either a DT or SDE.

I was just going off of what they have him listed at, at the top of the page.  He has the mobility - quickness of a Senderick Marks to me so DT would be fine as well.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

IMO I see a potential Marlon Davidson 2.0 minus the star rating. What do you think @bigbird, @corchjay, & @Hunter48?

22 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I was just going off of what they have him listed at, at the top of the page.  He has the mobility - quickness of a Senderick Marks to me so DT would be fine as well.

Now y'all just hold on one got dang minute with these name drops. It's Father's Day and I'm trying to keep it nice and chill but y'all are gonna make me hop the silly train to clown town. 

Seriously, though, the 3*s in this class are some very exciting prospects. I tend to lean sunny in recruiting but this guy, Clark and Johnson look like studs to me.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Now y'all just hold on one got dang minute with these name drops. It's Father's Day and I'm trying to keep it nice and chill but y'all are gonna make me hop the silly train to clown town. 

Seriously, though, the 3*s in this class are some very exciting prospects. I tend to lean sunny in recruiting but this guy, Clark and Johnson look like studs to me.

I like them all as well.  Johnson will not be a 3 star when everything is said and done.  Kid looks really good to me.  Behind the backers and in front of the safeties this kid will cause trauma lol

52 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

FWIW I always put the positions the staff likes a recruit at in the thread titles.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Something just posted out to me...Per his stats on his 247 page he had 18.5 sacks last year. I know high school stats can be skewed but that's an eye popping number if true.

I saw that too. For sure they had to mean up to his junior season. 

On 5/26/2018 at 9:21 PM, corchjay said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a DL play with that kind of reckless abandon with his body and still be reading plays.  Also don’t think Ive ever seen a DL hit that damn hard.  Geez he was destroying folks.  

If there are 450 players better then him I’ll need a detailed list of why

@ellitor this is what my initial thoughts on Jamond when he came on the Auburn radar.  I still stand by those comments now that he’s committed.  

The only 3 star commits I don’t see rising drastically over the course of their senior season for AU are Flott and the 2 TEs and both of those are high 3s already.  Johnson and Clark will be the ones with big jumps.  

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

IMO I see a potential Marlon Davidson 2.0 minus the star rating. What do you think @bigbird, @corchjay, & @Hunter48?

Like @NorthGATiger said, he reminds me a lot of Senderick Marks.  I love his motor and effort.  That's one thing that reminds me of Marlon.  I see him as a solid 4* by the end.  

Archived