Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

15 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Hell to the yes! 

I found a “new” beer store here. Their prices are more in line with the market. Like, 120 Minute for 39.00. 

For a 4 pack?

Okay, so I may or may not get around to pics, but as y'all probably surmised, @Tiger Refuge and I did a trade. It'll probably be my only one for awhile, but he very graciously tipped me off to some GITM so we made something happen. He also threw in some others, and holy moly, they were all good. 

Ghost in the Machine- I don't have to tell y'all. I will say that it's even better than I remember. The slight sweetness from the malt reminds me of Bell's Two Hearted while the appearance and hop profile remind me of a NEIPA. Somehow the best of both worlds.

DDH Envie- So freaking good. A little bit of funk on the nose, and then whammo, fruity hops. 

Pure Tropics- Couldn't decide if there was actually fruit in there or if it was just the most tropical hop profile yet. There is fruit in there. Exactly how you want to use adjuncts to compliment the beer and not make it taste like something other than beer. Freaking spectacular. Will have to do a side by side with that and POG Basement.

Reve Coffee Stout- Possibly the star of the show for me, but I'm a sucker for a good coffee stout, especially one that isn't an imperial sugar/booze bomb. Very rich and roasty at 7.2, you can have just one or you could handle a few. Although the coffee might get ya bouncin. It's clear that they used very high quality coffee. But there's also a nice sweetness/booziness for balance. One of my favorite beers of this year, no question. 

^Those are all Parish beers.

From Great Raft, the Commotion Pale Ale was exactly what you want in a pale ale. Dry, clean, hop forward, great with spicy Asian food. Like SN Pale Ale or Bell's Two Hearted, just a perfectly balanced, refreshing, very crushable pale ale. I would very very happily have this as my fridge beer if available locally. 

The Flying Tiger Milk Stout was great. I don't do a ton of Milk Stouts but this one would stand up respectably with old favorites like Left Hand and Duck Rabbit. At a minimum, it was evidence that the gang at Flying Tiger know how to brew good beer and I would not hesitate to pay them a visit when in the area. In fact, I really hope I get to one day. Great label art, too. 

I can only hope TR enjoyed the ones I sent him half as much as I enjoyed these. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, so I may or may not get around to pics, but as y'all probably surmised, @Tiger Refuge and I did a trade. It'll probably be my only one for awhile, but he very graciously tipped me off to some GITM so we made something happen. He also threw in some others, and holy moly, they were all good. 

Ghost in the Machine- I don't have to tell y'all. I will say that it's even better than I remember. The slight sweetness from the malt reminds me of Bell's Two Hearted while the appearance and hop profile remind me of a NEIPA. Somehow the best of both worlds.

DDH Envie- So freaking good. A little bit of funk on the nose, and then whammo, fruity hops. 

Pure Tropics- Couldn't decide if there was actually fruit in there or if it was just the most tropical hop profile yet. There is fruit in there. Exactly how you want to use adjuncts to compliment the beer and not make it taste like something other than beer. Freaking spectacular. Will have to do a side by side with that and POG Basement.

Reve Coffee Stout- Possibly the star of the show for me, but I'm a sucker for a good coffee stout, especially one that isn't an imperial sugar/booze bomb. Very rich and roasty at 7.2, you can have just one or you could handle a few. Although the coffee might get ya bouncin. It's clear that they used very high quality coffee. But there's also a nice sweetness/booziness for balance. One of my favorite beers of this year, no question. 

From Great Raft, the Commotion Pale Ale was exactly what you want in a pale ale. Dry, clean, hop forward, great with spicy Asian food. Like SN Pale Ale or Bell's Two Hearted, just a perfectly balanced, refreshing, very crushable pale ale. I would very very happily have this as my fridge beer if available locally. 

The Flying Tiger Milk Stout was great. I don't do a ton of Milk Stouts but this one would stand up respectably with old favorites like Left Hand and Duck Rabbit. At a minimum, it was evidence that the gang at Flying Tiger know how to brew good beer and I would not hesitate to pay them a visit when in the area. In fact, I really hope I get to one day. Great label art, too. 

Hellova write up! I have GOT to step up my beer description game. Sometimes it’s difficult for me to “word it up right”.

Glad you enjoyed them!

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Hellova write up! I have GOT to step up my beer description game. Sometimes it’s difficult for me to “word it up right”.

Glad you enjoyed them!

:cheers:

Speaking of...

A8821DDB-CA19-4725-8A5C-3FA7BA27A861.gif

Image result for pcu gif

Not pictured in these gifs, but still Jon Favreau's greatest work IMHO. And Piven's. And David Spade's. A veritable ensemble of greatness.

That movie actually coined "Don't be that guy" unless somebody can prove otherwise. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

So glad Parrish distributes here. Pounding DDH Envie and GITM lately. 

Side note, had to have a root canal today. No pain at all. Got narcotics JIC. Helps that my dentist is effing hilarious. Every word out his mouth when he's in there grinding away is a pun. 

• Like 2

I have zero experience on anything other than alcohol. Like, I’ve never had surgery. So, no painkillers for TR.

I do them pretty rarely. Generally have a lot left over when a scrip is necessary. 

Pain from the root canal is actually pretty manageable. Nothing like the pain that chased me back to the dentist. I’d easily rank the pain from the abscessed tooth as the worst I’ve ever experienced.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I have zero experience on anything other than alcohol. Like, I’ve never had surgery. So, no painkillers for TR.

Nice! I'd be lying if I said I wish I could say the same, but I do more abstractly envy people whose bodies are relatively uncontaminated in this way. 

11 hours ago, AUDub said:

I do them pretty rarely. Generally have a lot left over when a scrip is necessary. 

Pain from the root canal is actually pretty manageable. Nothing like the pain that chased me back to the dentist. I’d easily rank the pain from the abscessed tooth as the worst I’ve ever experienced.

Dude. Dry socket, middle of the night, no help in sight. The WORST.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:51 PM, McLoofus said:

Nice. Playing off of @Tiger Refuge, I have got to step up my beer game in general. I love good beer but just, damn, y’all’s knowledge base is humbling me, lol

• Like 1

Just now, fredst said:

Nice. Playing off of @Tiger Refuge, I have got to step up my beer game in general. I love good beer but just, damn, y’all’s knowledge base is humbling me, lol

Hang out here more. This is the AUFamily lounge, and the knowledgeable among us will gladly ease you in. You’ll learn to love it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Hang out here more. This is the AUFamily lounge, and the knowledgeable among us will gladly ease you in. You’ll learn to love it. 

I troll through this thread pretty regularly. Reminds me how little I know about beer, lol.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

I troll through this thread pretty regularly. Reminds me how little I know about beer, lol.

That was me 4 years ago, and to some degree still. Some of these guys run rings around me on beer-ology  

Don’t be afraid to join the discussion. We’re very accommodating lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@AUDub, you got your flight booked yet? 3 Ten Fidy variants plus a couple other BA impy stouts.

Oskar Blues Presents Darkest Day Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout Event 12/21

https://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/12/oskar-blues-presents-darkest-day-barrel.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR1MbM57_LB0kPRQApaJBFefgSOGtgwW6Bf7A3_5Fl7_-UKc4YblLp--Vn4#.XA_g7A8rezo.facebook

• Love 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

@AUDub, you got your flight booked yet? 3 Ten Fidy variants plus a couple other BA impy stouts. 

Oskar Blues Presents Darkest Day Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout Event 12/21

https://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/12/oskar-blues-presents-darkest-day-barrel.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR1MbM57_LB0kPRQApaJBFefgSOGtgwW6Bf7A3_5Fl7_-UKc4YblLp--Vn4#.XA_g7A8rezo.facebook

Oooh!

That horchata BA sounds interesting as ****.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 3:03 PM, McLoofus said:

Been meaning to post but busy day. McJunior landed this morning! 7 lbs 10 oz of pure thunder. Mrs. Loof and baby doing great. Many thanks for checking in! Celebratory Westy 12 waiting at home. With some champagne. And scotch.

IMG_20181121_131207.jpg

I'm late to the party, but, CONGRATULATIONS!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Been meaning to post but busy day. McJunior landed this morning! 7 lbs 10 oz of pure thunder. Mrs. Loof and baby doing great. Many thanks for checking in! Celebratory Westy 12 waiting at home. With some champagne. And scotch.

IMG_20181121_131207.jpg

Echoing @Grumps: I knew there was a new Loof but had missed this post. Congratulations! I can get frustrated with them but I adore my 3 girls. I have many blessings but them and my wife are truly more than I deserve. Love them hard, they grow too fast (sent my first to college this year and it was HARD)!

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

...3 girls....

I have 4

Know my pain. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Echoing @Grumps: I knew there was a new Loof but had missed this post. Congratulations! I can get frustrated with them but I adore my 3 girls. I have many blessings but them and my wife are truly more than I deserve. Love them hard, they grow too fast (sent my first to college this year and it was HARD)!

Absolutely terrified of my daughter (just turned 4) leaving the house in a car without an adult for the first time. Can't imagine what you just went through and what it will be like for us.  

Thanks much, y'all!

• Like 1