Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

4 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I liked the White Thai, ginger and lemongrass work really well in a Belgian-style Wit. I’m not a big traditional wheat beer drinker, I prefer something tart/sour. 

Agree. I like a regular Belgian Wit but that lemongrass note is really nice in the White Thai.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I really like the turn this conversation has taken!

I've had a few Rauchbiers and have loved them all. Like the Islay scotch of beer. I want to be hit over the head with a smoke hammer. 

I haven't had any Rauchbier but I love me some Ardbeg/Lagavulin/Laphraoig, especially when the weather turns cold (Ardbeg Uigeadail=yum) so will have to try.

21 minutes ago, fredst said:

I haven't had any Rauchbier but I love me some Ardbeg/Lagavulin/Laphraoig, especially when the weather turns cold (Ardbeg Uigeadail=yum) so will have to try.

Aecht Schlenkerla that Shocks mentioned is the most commonly available in probably the standard-bearer for the style. 

And you just listed all my favorite whiskies in the world!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Aecht Schlenkerla that Shocks mentioned is the most commonly available in probably the standard-bearer for the style. 

And you just listed all my favorite whiskies in the world!

I can’t drink that smoke all of the time but....sitting by my outdoor fireplace when it’s about 45 with a pour of the Uigedail is hard to beat

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I need to revisit Laphroaig. It was the first Scotch I ever tried, and that was a mistake. 

Yikes. I made the mistake of serving Laphroaig 18 to a single malt novice......thought he was going to spit it out. It is definitely an acquired taste but is the quintessential Islay 

28 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yikes. I made the mistake of serving Laphroaig 18 to a single malt novice......thought he was going to spit it out. It is definitely an acquired taste but is the quintessential Islay 

Yeah, I had to dial back and go with Highland. I do enjoy Lagavulin quite a bit. Especially Ron Swanson style with a big ol steak with it. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

AA9190D2-49FE-4718-9C9B-56D991318E95.jpeg

Saturday night Loof for sure. Starting at Wrecking Bar at noon for a 5:00 PM United game was... naive. 

Monday Night Slap Fight was the best beer available near our seats. We had many.

Then saw old friend at Elliott Street Pub after the game. Jameson. Why?!?!

Shut it down at a bbq joint after that. Scofflaw Basement(s). 

Yesterday morning was... not perfect. 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Saturday night Loof for sure. Starting at Wrecking Bar at noon for a 5:00 PM United game was... naive. 

Monday Night Slap Fight was the best beer available near our seats. We had many.

Then saw old friend at Elliott Street Pub after the game. Jameson. Why?!?!

Shut it down at a bbq joint after that. Scofflaw Basement(s). 

Yesterday morning was... not perfect. 

The decisions. They always seem so easy on days like that. Yeah, then the next morning. I have finally learned to put my phone down on nights like that. Makes the next day a lot easier...

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The decisions. They always seem so easy on days like that. Yeah, then the next morning. I have finally learned to put my phone down on nights like that. Makes the next day a lot easier...

Oh, brother. I was so scared to look at my text messages. I got lucky... this time.

I *have* learned not to do social on those nights. 

FTR, it was totally worth it. United games are ******* amazing. Got to see my best friends, party all day with my best girl, the boys won 3-0, our South American POTY who has been heretofore a bust played like a man possessed (imagine Jeremy Johnson suddenly playing like what we thought Jeremy Johnson was going to play like), records were set, there was a beautiful military appreciation ceremony before the game, the weather was perfect... I could go on and on. Oh, sorry, I just did... :/

But seriously. Don't nobody put like my city does for United. This was the full house tifo during the national anthem. 

Image result for atlanta united vs la galaxy

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, brother. I was so scared to look at my text messages. I got lucky... this time.

I *have* learned not to do social on those nights. 

FTR, it was totally worth it. United games are ******* amazing. Got to see my best friends, party all day with my best girl, the boys won 3-0, our South American POTY who has been heretofore a bust played like a man possessed (imagine Jeremy Johnson suddenly playing like what we thought Jeremy Johnson was going to play like), records were set, there was a beautiful military appreciation ceremony before the game, the weather was perfect... I could go on and on. Oh, sorry, I just did... 😕

But seriously. Don't nobody put like my city does for United. This was the full house tifo during the national anthem. 

Image result for atlanta united vs la galaxy

Sooooo much fun waking up to see double digit notifications on multiple social media platforms.😂😬

Seriously though. That’s sounds like a freaking blast! Always good to let the hair down(or what I imagine it would feel like...) every now and then. I’ve never been to a professional match, but I’d imagine it would rock my world.

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Sooooo much fun waking up to see double digit notifications on multiple social media platforms.😂😬

Seriously though. That’s sounds like a freaking blast! Always good to let the hair down(or what I imagine it would feel like...) every now and then. I’ve never been to a professional match, but I’d imagine it would rock my world.

You would enjoy it for sure. Much different atmosphere than most SEC games. Really just a completely different thing. 

*Typed and deleted a long-winded description of the game experience. Let's just say that you don't often see 70k from every walk of life, and not just with token representation, cheering for the same thing.*

And yeah, my hair was metaphorically down. Very metaphorically. 

• Like 1

Love going to United games. Sadie and I have gone to several. Need to drag my wife to one. 

Sierra Nevada’s 2019 Oktoberfest has hit the shelves. You’ll get my review this afternoon.

Picked this up yesterday. I don’t get it. I mean, it’s pretty tasty, but nothing spectacular. It’s supposed to be Extra Brut IPA. Not particularly dry, IMO. Oh yeah, it’s 12%, so there’s that.

9ECE91BA-A931-42E1-919B-06C5969680FB.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'll back up and punt. I tried it again yesterday, and it is pretty dry. That said, this is my first exposure to this style of IPA. 

Even more of a head scratcher, lol. How do you make a dry 12% beer? ALCHEMY! WITCHCRAFT!

I did not have any interesting beers in Greensboro, NC this past weekend. I was rather surprised. Didn't go to any true beer bars but was still surprised I didn't accidentally find anything fun. Foothills Jade IPA everywhere. Which was fine. I do love this new world we live in where every bar and restaurant has something craft on tap. 

Been hammering away at goses and berliner weisses this summer. I think that makes me the basic white girl of craft beer bros?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Even more of a head scratcher, lol. How do you make a dry 12% beer? ALCHEMY! WITCHCRAFT!

I did not have any interesting beers in Greensboro, NC this past weekend. I was rather surprised. Didn't go to any true beer bars but was still surprised I didn't accidentally find anything fun. Foothills Jade IPA everywhere. Which was fine. I do love this new world we live in where every bar and restaurant has something craft on tap. 

Been hammering away at goses and berliner weisses this summer. I think that makes me the basic white girl of craft beer bros?

Voodoo...😬

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Voodoo...😬

Image result for facepalm gif

I really missed an opportunity there. But hopefully it was a net win for the group since you brought it home. I was Nick Marshall and you were Rico Louis...

• Haha 1