Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Loving the new j-o-b so far. In Norcross to do HR bull**** and training this week.  Yesterday and today I have been shadowing another tech, doing all of the custom electrical on one job (one of the major points of emphasis the guy I'm replacing had was that the new guy not be a complete moron with electricity), and it's great. I can do this work. Involves a lot of creativity custom routing water lines/diagnosing issues and what not.

The driving will take some getting used to though.

There will be some 60-80 hour weeks in my future, but damn if I won't be rolling in dough as a result.

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Loving the new j-o-b so far. In Norcross to do HR bull**** and training this week.  Yesterday and today I have been shadowing another tech, doing all of the custom electrical on one job (one of the major points of emphasis the guy I'm replacing had was that the new guy not be a complete moron with electricity), and it's great. I can do this work. Involves a lot of creativity custom routing water lines/diagnosing issues and what not.

The driving will take some getting used to though.

There will be some 60-80 hour weeks in my future, but damn if I won't be rolling in dough as a result.

Sounds like a nice mix of planning and hands on. Also, sound like you are happy. 

Cheers bud!

• Thanks 1

Basically Dub's job now. 

2Th3ju8.gif

Edited by AUDub
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

9kmSBBe.jpg

Guilty. 

Yep. Nailed it. 

I am not quite the beer aficionado a lot of you guys are but I like trying different stuff  and finding new likes. Had one this weekend that was a keeper I thought: Victory, Sour Monkey. A nice Tripel, a. bit tart and at 9.5% only a couple is all it takes but its not at all "heavy".  Not sure if anyone else has had this beer but I would recommend.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I am not quite the beer aficionado a lot of you guys are but I like trying different stuff  and finding new likes. Had one this weekend that was a keeper I thought: Victory, Sour Monkey. A nice Tripel, a. bit tart and at 9.5% only a couple is all it takes but its not at all "heavy".  Not sure if anyone else has had this beer but I would recommend.

You know what? This is a damned good rec. I haven't had this- I used to drink Golden Monkey, the regular tripel, from time to time back in the day- but a 9.5 soured tripel is exactly the kind of end-of-shift sipper I need in the fridge. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know what? This is a damned good rec. I haven't had this- I used to drink Golden Monkey, the regular tripel, from time to time back in the day- but a 9.5 soured tripel is exactly the kind of end-of-shift sipper I need in the fridge. Thanks!

Thinking about it, it may only be 9%, but don’t let that stop you, lol. It’s excellent.

17 minutes ago, fredst said:

Thinking about it, it may only be 9%, but don’t let that stop you, lol. It’s excellent.

Basically for me these days, anything 7.5 or over is "okay are we sure we want to open this right now" territory.

Once I get over 10, it's basically "I don't have to talk to people anymore today right?"

Been mostly doing goses and berliner weisses lately but if it actually does start cooling off then I'm ready to dig into some heavy hitters and Oktoberfests. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Basically for me these days, anything 7.5 or over is "okay are we sure we want to open this right now" territory.

Once I get over 10, it's basically "I don't have to talk to people anymore today right?"

Been mostly doing goses and berliner weisses lately but if it actually does start cooling off then I'm ready to dig into some heavy hitters and Oktoberfests. 

I really like the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger/VR Juicy Haze for a year-round beer I (my wife,lol) can easily find in the supermarket without having to make the trip to the specialty store. It comes in at 7.5 and, yeah, 1-2 of those is frankly all I need. Get me some cool weather and I'll start craving some of those imperial stouts that clock in at 9-10+.

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I really like the New Belgium Voodoo Ranger/VR Juicy Haze for a year-round beer I (my wife,lol) can easily find in the supermarket without having to make the trip to the specialty store. It comes in at 7.5 and, yeah, 1-2 of those is frankly all I need. Get me some cool weather and I'll start craving some of those imperial stouts that clock in at 9-10+.

Yes sir. Ready for some Narwhal!

I need to try the regular Voodoo Ranger again. And a lot of other IPAs, too. Got kind of burnt out on them after the spring but they always cycle back around. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fredst said:

A fairly decent intro to sours. Most sours run with a lot less ABV. Also don’t let this beer be indicative of a normal Tripel. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I wish you could shop at my store, you are the exact kind of customer I like to have. 

Speaking of the Voodoo Imperial...

Customer comes in 2-3 times a week. Always buys VD Imperial. I finally bring in a beer with comparable quality and ABV(Orpheus Transmigration of Souls). He’s told me in the past he only drinks the VD Imperial due to the ABV🙄.  Cool, I got this fairly decent substitute, right? I put the beer in his hand and he takes it. Then he sees the price tag...a whole 2 DOLLARS more than his beloved VD Imperial and puts it back. Spends $4 more on Tito’s airplane bottles...another overhyped trash vodka(imo).

I will never attempt help that man again. If you’re that type of person stuck in your ways, great. But craft beer is my passion, and if you’re drinking it for it’s ABV/price ratio, then I want nothing to do with you. Sorry. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

That said ^...

Imperial Stouts are my jam. And I’m probably contradicting myself a bit, but if a stout is under 8%, rarely do I even bother. 

IDGAF if it’s a pastry stout, BBA, or just a regular ol’ RIS. Hefty stouts are delicious. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yes sir. Ready for some Narwhal!

I need to try the regular Voodoo Ranger again. And a lot of other IPAs, too. Got kind of burnt out on them after the spring but they always cycle back around. 

It’s New Belgium though 😩😩😩

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

A fairly decent intro to sours. Most sours run with a lot less ABV. Also don’t let this beer be indicative of a normal Tripel. 

Give me some recs for both that I might find in my neck of the woods (Huntsville, AL). I’m ready to shamelessly mine this thread for my own benefit, lol....

I wish you could shop at my store, you are the exact kind of customer I like to have. 

I wish your store was close enough for me to shop in😜

• Haha 1

Sour Monkey's a wild ale, and yeah, if you go out to buy other tripels, you're in for a shock if you expect them to taste like Sour Monkey, Fred. 

• Thanks 1

Tripels are universally deceptively light feeling for their ABV like Sour Monkey, though. 

Victory's stock Tripel is Golden Monkey, and it's a pretty middling offering for the style. 

20 minutes ago, fredst said:

Give me some recs for both that I might find in my neck of the woods (Huntsville, AL). I’m ready to shamelessly mine this thread for my own benefit, lol....

Unfortunately, beer markets vary wildly, so I can’t accurately suggest things in Huntsville. 😕

• Sad 1