Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

On 10/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, fredst said:

Even in Death Valley, CA I have found the elixir of life (but haven’t tasted yet, lol)

6640D406-29D2-4198-80EB-48C44AB7D57E.jpeg

Add: Despite the excellent name, not my kind of beer. A fresh/wet hop IPA, high IBU that I just don’t care for.

Wet hop brews seem to be taking a backseat lately. I’m indifferent now. Used to seek them out, but pretty ‘meh’ on them currently. 

I would’ve 100% bought the bottle on name alone though. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is that Parish? I saw that they brought home some hardware. 

Yeah man. Pure Tropics. Mango, pineapple, and guava. It’s one of their best. Silky, nice hop bite on the back end.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Like a piña colada in a beer.

Sold. I've a newfound appreciation for vanilla and citrus/tropical fruit combinations.

Also, you making some salsa?

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sold. I've a newfound appreciation for vanilla and citrus/tropical fruit combinations.

Also, you making some salsa?

I really didn’t know what to expect to be honest. I’m not necessarily a piña colada fan. It’s definitely fruit forward.

Tomatillo sauce for shrimp tacos. Pregaming. Headed to Gulf Shores for a nice 4 day beach trip. Hammered in t-minus 14 hours.

10509DB0-559A-435F-BA50-778D6D7A0E0C.gif

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I really didn’t know what to expect to be honest. I’m not necessarily a piña colada fan. It’s definitely fruit forward.

Tomatillo sauce for shrimp tacos. Pregaming. Headed to Gulf Shores for a nice 4 day beach trip. Hammered in t-minus 14 hours.

10509DB0-559A-435F-BA50-778D6D7A0E0C.gif

Cheers, bon appetit and bon voyage!

• Love 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Tiki Tiki IPA by Natchez Brewing. Like a piña colada in a beer. Pineapple, mango and vanilla. I had this at the brewery and it was f’in delicious. Not bad in the bottle either.

49995564-951C-4917-BBFF-0ECEC572A240.jpeg

If you can find it, Destihl Pina Colada gose is solid. Heavy on the coconut. 

• Love 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:34 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Digging this. It’s lacking something that Xocoveza can deliver, maybe it’s the lack of coffee. Not nearly as good as Mexican Cake either. But yeah, the peppers definitely make themselves known. 

Yeah, I think I'd want that coffee bitterness and earthiness to balance out the rest. 

Carolina reapers, though. Sure. I'd give it a go. 

• Like 1

Finally went to Hilton Head Brewing Saturday. Crazy that it took me that long buuuut... sigh... reasons. Anyway, it was much better than I expected. None of their cool stuff gets out to the local restaurants which I find odd. Anyway, they make really good, true-to-style beers and they had a couple more adventurous ones (relatively speaking) that I actually liked quite a bit- the 3x IPA and a dry hopped imperial lager. Suuuuuper dry and bitter. They partner with a local BBQ dude. The ribs were solid. I really should have spent more Saturday afternoons there by now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bell’s Double 2 Hearted is an 11% malt bomb btw. 

I'm still trying to find it down here. I'm surprised that it's been so difficult. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm still trying to find it down here. I'm surprised that it's been so difficult. 

I think a lot of people are struggling to find it. Seems pretty allocated. I ordered 2 cases and only got 1. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think a lot of people are struggling to find it. Seems pretty allocated. I ordered 2 cases and only got 1. 

Oh, wow. I'm surprised it was that allocated. Although I guess I shouldn't be. Maybe I think of Bell's as being bigger than they are. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:19 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

College town bartenders at a chain restaurant...just...stop with your beer talk. I do applaud your enthusiasm, though. Keep trying, young blood.

“Let’s see...for IPAs we have Flat Tire, Modelo, Sam Adams, and Blue Moon” 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

“Let’s see...for IPAs we have Flat Tire, Modelo, Sam Adams, and Blue Moon” 

Pretty damn close. Also, the bourbon discussion he was having with a patron was equally entertaining.

Crosstown Brewing The Floor is Guava-Guava Milkshake IPA. Pretty tasty local glop. Literally the only brewery in the Memphis area that seems to have a decent grasp on the NEIPA style. 

Could stand to have a bit softer mouthfeel, but it’ll do. 

tzLh3X1.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Guess we picked a good weekend for a Nashville trip. 

Southern Grist

YV7oanK.jpg

"Blueberry Upside Down Pumpkin Pie IPA"

SMDH

Image result for angry old man gif

(The stouts sound awesome)

• Haha 1

You guys never disappoint! Thanks!

I have learned so much form you guys. I would never have understood the difference between a "good beer" and a "beer that I like" if it were not for you all.

A while back I did a taster test between Parish's GITM vs. Bloom. They were very similar to my palate at least. I thought the Bloom had a slightly fuller mouth feel (is that the NEIPA style) but was a little sharper at the finish than GITM. I actually like the GITM better, which is great since I can get it all year long.

I COMPLETELY agree about Pure Tropic! It is definitely a good beer that tastes good!

Keep up the great work guys! You are educating more people than you realize and spreading hoppy joy!

• Love 1