Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

Drinking a Rochefort 10 tonight. 

Almost forgot what an incredible beer it is.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

My first with this style. Delicious.

5FF11FF7-4C0A-48AB-9000-1269DD0FA9EB.jpeg

I actually prefer berliner weisse to gose, although I should follow Rogue's honorable lead and say "berliner weisse style". 

I hung out with a German chick at a brewpub in Atlanta (Wrecking Bar) and she was apoplectic that they claimed to be serving a "kolsch", because how could anyone outside of Cologne have the nerve to call their beer by that name? 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:09 PM, AUDub said:

Drinking a Rochefort 10 tonight. 

Almost forgot what an incredible beer it is.

The only other contender for the quad crown. St. Bernardus Abt 12 is amazing, but still a distant 3rd IMO. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I actually prefer berliner weisse to gose, although I should follow Rogue's honorable lead and say "berliner weisse style". 

I hung out with a German chick at a brewpub in Atlanta (Wrecking Bar) and she was apoplectic that they claimed to be serving a "kolsch", because how could anyone outside of Cologne have the nerve to call their beer by that name? 

I really really liked this beer. It didn’t punch me in the face like a lot of the goses(gese?) that I’ve had.

34 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I really really liked this beer. It didn’t punch me in the face like a lot of the goses(gese?) that I’ve had.

The thing I love about a good berliner weisse is that biscuity finish. That transition from dry and tart to soft and almost savory is just magical for me. 

• Love 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:56 AM, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

Where has this thread been hiding?!? The only reason I found it was from the derailment of the "Minnesota post game" thread that turned into beer talk. Thanks ShocksMyBrain! Favorite sours, go! 

Me personally, ever since I had New Belgiums Le Terroir it just seems like nothing else compares. It's super sour( which I love, I'm the kind of idiot that would burn my mouth out with war heads as a child) but very complex and balanced at the same time. It has one taste up front, and then a different secondary taste as it washes over the back of your tongue. Just beautiful. 

I think it is amazing that brewers are willing to have so much fun. Sour Monkey cracks me up. Golden Monkey is a good beer, then fill it with Sweet Tart flavor. Now you can pound a 9% ABV beer that tastes like candy! It can make me very happy! Ghost Train Pau Hana Punch is also fun to drink.

• Love 1

Orpheus The Ferryman(10%). Whole lot going on here. Ghost pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cocoa nibs. Poured like motor oil. Tasted very metallic-y straight out of the fridge, but really turned out very pleasant once it warmed up. 

xU8Ux2l.jpg

On 1/18/2020 at 10:43 PM, Grumps said:

I think it is amazing that brewers are willing to have so much fun. Sour Monkey cracks me up. Golden Monkey is a good beer, then fill it with Sweet Tart flavor. Now you can pound a 9% ABV beer that tastes like candy! It can make me very happy! Ghost Train Pau Hana Punch is also fun to drink.

Love the Sour Monkey. Sour Pash from Avondale brewery is good as well if you like a sour.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:45 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Tasted very metallic-y straight out of the fridge

I really wish this wasn't a thing, but it's big time a thing. 

Orpheus does a good job. Jason's one of those guys who doesn't give the first damn about style guidelines. He's very much into doing what he wants to do. He's like the Wes Anderson of Atlanta brewers. Equally detail-oriented and professional. Pretty much the opposite of whoever those guys are with the under-grav, flat slushies. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I really wish this wasn't a thing, but it's big time a thing. 

Orpheus does a good job. Jason's one of those guys who doesn't give the first damn about style guidelines. He's very much into doing what he wants to do. He's like the Wes Anderson of Atlanta brewers. Equally detail-oriented and professional. Pretty much the opposite of whoever those guys are with the under-grav, flat slushies. 

Apparently that batch of Ferryman is infected. My distributor rep called me yesterday morning and told me to throw it all in the garbage and he’d give me a credit. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Apparently that batch of Ferryman is infected. My distributor rep called me yesterday morning and told me to throw it all in the garbage and he’d give me a credit. 

Hahaha I jinxed the eff out of Orpheus, didn't I?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I’m sure the owner/brewmaster is having a meltdown if he’s as anal as you make it sound. 

I don't know him that well, but from my limited interaction with him, my experience with his beers, and just the whole vibe from the artwork, lofty names and mythological backgrounds on the cans, it just seems like he's a pretty calculating dude. And I don't meant that in a bad way at all. Very nice person. 

On 1/25/2020 at 9:26 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

@Tiger Refuge Ghost in the Machine at Billy Strings in Oxford, MS. This is gonna get dangerous. 

0ufgjVs.jpg

Shocks, to everyone around him while holding this world class beer and listening to this world class artist:

Image result for paul rudd look at us gif"

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2020 at 8:26 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

@Tiger Refuge Ghost in the Machine at Billy Strings in Oxford, MS. This is gonna get dangerous. 

0ufgjVs.jpg

Nice. Saw Billy in Huntsville last week with less good beer and a bunch of stoned-out-of-their-mind folk. My first time to see him so I’m assuming that’s just Billy’s crowd, lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

Nice. Saw Billy in Huntsville last week with less good beer and a bunch of stoned-out-of-their-mind folk. My first time to see him so I’m assuming that’s just Billy’s crowd, lol

Crowd in Oxford was terrible(again). Lots of talkers. He and his band tried doing an a capella song and the crowd couldn’t shut up. He was even like “guys..please”. He ended his show 30 minutes early without bitching. Dude is too nice. 

So I’m done seeing shows in Oxford. I love that it’s only an hour away, but good god the crowd at shows there is miserable. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Crowd in Oxford was terrible(again). Lots of talkers. He and his band tried doing an a capella song and the crowd couldn’t shut up. He was even like “guys..please”. He ended his show 30 minutes early without bitching. Dude is too nice. 

So I’m done seeing shows in Oxford. I love that it’s only an hour away, but good god the crowd at shows there is miserable. 

I don't get it. Why spend the money if you're not going to listen to the music? I'm sure there is no shortage of great bars in Oxford where you can do the same thing minus the ticket price. 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 11:17 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I found out, a day late, that he played at Duling Hall in Jackson the next night. Duling has some killer shows if your ever interested. It’s in the Fondren area of Jackson. Where the hip folks hang and eat. Also, it’s where middle aged guys(me) go to feel a little old and uncomfortable.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

Well, it’s Hopslam, that’s for sure. Canned little over a week ago. 

KwtWaUy.jpg

Wiseacre Roger the Shrubber blueberry lemonade milkshake IPA. I tried this at the brewery the day it was released and didn’t particularly care for it. However, I’m really digging it a month later out of the can. 

zSc1PxV.jpg

Note to self or anyone else: do not start the day with a Hopslam because my palate is absolutely warped. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1