Best (and worst) beers you’ve ever had - redux

AUDub

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tasting notes on the 4 Giants? Guessing boozy and malty?

I'd say robust and malty.  A big step away from those hazy IPA's that are so prevalent these days. Smooth for the relatively high ABV

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I'd say robust and malty.  A big step away from those hazy IPA's that are so prevalent these days. Smooth for the relatively high ABV

I'll whisper it since the other folks are tired of me saying it, but these are the IPAs I'm looking for these days. I was there for the beginning of NEIPA and I do not love what it turned into. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'll whisper it since the other folks are tired of me saying it, but these are the IPAs I'm looking for these days. I was there for the beginning of NEIPA and I do not love what it turned into. 

It feels like a lot of them have turned into a beer gumbo of sorts. Let’s just throw 3 different hop varieties in there and voila! NEIPA gumbo! I literally have zero clue what these different varieties are supposed to taste like. And screw looking it up. If my palette can’t distinguish it, I’m out.

A few of these recent ones I posted were pretty damn spectacular, especially the Spindletap. It really reminded one of the first time I tried GITM. Dank af.

That west coast I posted a while back? The GnR themed one? Yeah, clean. Piney. Slightly bitter. Moar.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It really reminded one of the first time I tried GITM. Dank af.

I'd give anything to get back to the Heady version of NEIPA, which GITM was closer to. Not the sugar bombs that the Trillium model evolved into and what most of what is called NEIPA is now. Just so many beers that have a great first sip and then are pretty much undrinkable beyond that to me. 

I will say that I have tried a few lately that have had a lot more balance from the bittering hops and are "NE" only in that they're hazy. Even Trillium had some like that when I went there this summer. So it might be turning a corner. Which would be a shame, because I love having something to be curmudgeonly about. 

On the flip side, I was NOT impressed with Sierra Nevada's Celebration this year. All malt. Boring. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I'd give anything to get back to the Heady version of NEIPA, which GITM was closer to. Not the sugar bombs that the Trillium model evolved into and what most of what is called NEIPA is now. Just so many beers that have a great first sip and then are pretty much undrinkable beyond that to me. 

I will say that I have tried a few lately that have had a lot more balance from the bittering hops and are "NE" only in that they're hazy. Even Trillium had some like that when I went there this summer. So it might be turning a corner. Which would be a shame, because I love having something to be curmudgeonly about. 

On the flip side, I was NOT impressed with Sierra Nevada's Celebration this year. All malt. Boring. 

We can have shared anger about pastry stouts….aka canned beetus.

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Damn, guns out for Loof and Refuge. Impressive...

If you look at our other arms, they're the opposite shape and the opposite colors. And dangling from those scrawny hands are pastry stouts with marshmallows on top. We contain multitudes. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If you look at our other arms, they're the opposite shape and the opposite colors. And dangling from those scrawny hands are pastry stouts with marshmallows on top. We contain multitudes. 

We can stout and we can pastry.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Bunch of grumpy old men dang. If beer tastes good, who gives a s*** if it’s not upheld by the reinheitsgebot?

2Umz4tf.jpg

cwyHaBl.jpg

Tell me about that sour. I tend to shy away from strawberry beers because of the artificial-ly taste that a lot of them seem to have.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Tell me about that sour. I tend to shy away from strawberry beers because of the artificial-ly taste that a lot of them seem to have.

It was good. Was expecting better flavors, however. 

• Like 1

**** me running, Arkansas CAN put out a decent beer. A customer dropped these off for me and they’re straight 🔥. @ old heads take notice: there’s no adjuncts in these badass barrel aged stouts. 😉

MNCrzR3.jpg
wEKGIJq.jpg

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Love 2