NFL - players will be fined for kneeling

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I agree that Trump should stop lying about it. He should admit that they just don't want to come and leave it at that. Everyone know that most pro athletes hate Trump so there's no point in him lying and coming up with excuses to "disinvite" teams.

I'd be okay if they just ended the practice of sports teams being honored at the White House altogether.  All it's become now is a way for players to make political statements by not going. If so many don't want to go then just don't do it anymore. They can go back to the White House when a Democrat is president again. That's really all they care about anyway is getting to meet their political idols like The Great One. 

If they don't want to go that's fine but the nonsense they spout about "we want a dialogue about issues" rings a little hollow to me when they turn down an invite to the White House. Instead of going face to face with Trump and letting him know how they feel by discussing the issues they care so passionately about but instead they get into a mud slinging contest with Trump and then act like they're all about discussing the issues. They should just admit they only want a one sided conversation. They obviously don't want to hear from opposing views, especially Trump.

What a huge crock of BS.   Discuss issues with Trump???  :lmao:

As if Trump were interested in discussing issues. :-\  Trump could give a s*** about the issues.  This is all about him and the message he wants to project to his pathetic base.

And Trump is the one who started with the insults. Trump is using them to appeal to his pathetic, racist supporters and they refuse to accomodate him. 

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I've never understood the complete unwillingness to even *consider* that they might have a point and instead of losing one's mind over it, seek to sit down and hear them out on what would make them want to kneel.  I'm just incomprehensible to me.

I mean, you can even listen to them, hear them out and still disagree.  But the difference is, your sincere willingness to take their concerns seriously could lead to some kind of middle ground where they'd be willing to alter their protest a bit to not offend you.  

Hell, Kaepernick changed the way he was protesting for this very reason.  Someone approached him about just sitting on the bench and looking disinterested.  I think it might have been a vet or a police officer.  And through that conversation, he decided that a better thing to do would be to kneel and have a more respectful disposition during it.  Not just slouching on the bench, but purposefully kneeling and paying attention.

Trump understands it. 

The only thing he is good at is in the ability to ferret out prejudice and resentment and feed it.   The resulting controversy is his manna - great ratings and he becomes the center of attention.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It was a vet and that's exactly how it happened according to everything I've seen.

And you make such an important point. I personally have been dismissive of numerous groups of people over the course of my life until I, you know, actually met some and talked to them. I even treat clients in my various jobs differently after I've actually met them, as they do me. 

It's all fear and ignorance until it's not. 

In these high profile police shootings, I side with the police more than not. I THINK the fear is magnified by the publicity it brings. I BELIEVE you can behave yourself and comply to police officers and be safe and have no reason to fear cops.( The vast, vast majority of the time) I also ACKNOWLEDGE I am white and lived in Limestone County my whole life. I COULD BE WRONG. Therefore I empathize with those who are concerned about this bias. I will not excuse riots, looting, jumping on police cars and promoting violence against cops. BUT I SEE NO PROBLEM with people of influence kneeling (as we discussed about Kaepernick compromising with the veteran who was a fan) respectfully to raise awareness to what many people truly see as a major inequality in basic human rights. 

It’s just that simple. You can disagree but listen and empathize. If not you have some FORM OF RACIAL BIAS OR PLAIN OLD HATRED GOING ON WHETHER YOU ADMIT IT OR NOT. The players have repeatedly said they have no problems or mean no disrespect to our soldiers and veterans. Like @TitanTiger said it’s incomprehensible to understand the resistance to a simple, peaceful show of concern for civil liberties. Even if you disagree with the concerns. Unless of course, those resisting have something else preventing them from listening and empathy. 

On 6/7/2018 at 8:52 PM, GiveEmElle said:

This is why they kneel. 

I lived in Chicago, guess what, if you are white, black, brown, or yellow................don't run from Chicago PD. Especially if you are in neighborhoods where multiple officers have been shot over the past year.

Unfortunately the gangs hook kids when they are young into doing drops and hand offs involving guns and drugs. A 10 - 12 year old on the South Side with a gun is not a rare thing whether people believe it or not. Did some volunteer work with some charities on the south side.

This is why they cuff suspects regardless of age:

The Chicago police say the boy in the video is 6 years old and is a suspect in an armed robbery in another Chicago neighborhood. Experts say youngsters at this age are often looking for role models, and in too many cases the only ones available are gang members and drug dealers.

http://clapsnews.com/2017/07/11/watch-3-kids-casually-walk-around-chicago-with-a-gun/

Multiple ATF agents in the Chicago area have been shot attempting to keep guns out of the hands of the BDs in the past month.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-atf-agent-shot-20180504-story.html

http://abc7chicago.com/1-dead-1-in-custody-after-shooting-that-critically-wounded-atf-agent/3574096/

More players should do what Malcolm Jenkins did of the Eagles, and that is go on a ride along in a dangerous neighborhood.

So let's not forget the dangers officers face in areas like the South Side.

38 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I lived in Chicago, guess what, if you are white, black, brown, or yellow................don't run from Chicago PD. Especially if you are in neighborhoods where multiple officers have been shot over the past year.

Unfortunately the gangs hook kids when they are young into doing drops and hand offs involving guns and drugs. A 10 - 12 year old on the South Side with a gun is not a rare thing whether people believe it or not. Did some volunteer work with some charities on the south side.

This is why they cuff suspects regardless of age:

http://clapsnews.com/2017/07/11/watch-3-kids-casually-walk-around-chicago-with-a-gun/

Multiple ATF agents in the Chicago area have been shot attempting to keep guns out of the hands of the BDs in the past month.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-atf-agent-shot-20180504-story.html

http://abc7chicago.com/1-dead-1-in-custody-after-shooting-that-critically-wounded-atf-agent/3574096/

More players should do what Malcolm Jenkins did of the Eagles, and that is go on a ride along in a dangerous neighborhood.

So let's not forget the dangers officers face in areas like the South Side.

But it's not just a Chicago is dangerous thing.  Take for example the Bucks player who was tased in Milwaukee over what should have been nothing more than a parking violation.  It's a systemic issue facing our country.

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

But it's not just a Chicago is dangerous thing.  Take for example the Bucks player who was tased in Milwaukee over what should have been nothing more than a parking violation.  It's a systemic issue facing our country.

Just curious Brad. Ever been an LEO?

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Just curious Brad. Ever been an LEO?

Nope.  I've also never been a football coach but know that running the ball up the middle on 17 straight first downs is a problem too.  (I'm still not over the LSU game).

20 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

But this video isn't from Milwaukee, it is from Chicago, so this instance is absolutely a Chicago thing. This also isn't cops abusing power or beating some kid. This video and the reaction to it is part of the problem also.

The report was African American juvenile age 12, wearing all blue, and with a gun. Unfortunately the kid met the description. The officers went to question the kid, he ran from them. He was apprehended without force, hand-cuffed to be detained and officer safety, questioned, and then released. No different than they would have a white kid or Hispanic kid.

Now go read the comments on that twitter. These officers are bullies, they just did this cause he is a black kid, the report was made up so they could do this, typical cops they bullied and beat him to make him pee his pants, kid is lucky to be alive, the officers should be hung by their balls, these officers should be fired, the are just doing this to traumatize black youth, white cops are all racist, and it goes on and on. Bashing of two officers that did their job correctly it appears.

So here you have Chicago PD doing their job properly and it gets titled as "this is why we kneel". Wanna kneel on something? Kneel on the fact that kids that age are used, introduced, and ganged up in many areas of the South Side already, with several participating in violent activities including shootings. Oh Kapernick will toss a few grand at a community organization, but you aren't going to find him in Englewood after dark trying to make a difference. Least Derek Rose will go down there, props to him.

Mean hell,

Chicago Kids Say They're Assigned To Gangs

https://www.npr.org/2013/02/21/172593743/chicago-kids-say-theyre-assigned-to-gangs

The majority of the complaints by people involves the age of the kid, which again in Chicago 10 year old plus with weapons isn't something you should be surprised by in the South Side.

So misrepresenting Chicago PD doesn't help anything. It in fact it does harm.

One problem you have in these neighborhoods is they are the most dangerous and they have the least experienced officers. Why? Cause the experienced officers get the hell out of there as soon as they can. So inexperience in an area that is very dangerous, where the community won't communicate with you...but expects you to clean the neighborhood up, but they hate you also, with superior pressure leaned on you cause they are catching it from higher ups, that are catching it from the country, to end the problem. The guy from the Eagles does a good job of pointing this out in Philadelphia, cause a shooting actually occurred while he was on a ride along.

Problem two for Chicago that this deters. The recruitment of African-American police officers. Think it was in 2016 that they really put a premium on recruiting and placing African-American officers in these areas to gain trust, since being a white cop was equating bad. They were (not sure if did or not) going to overlook past charges that were minor, wave the 60 college credit requirement, wave exam fees, credit checks etc. Majority unfortunately don't show or fail the written/physical portions.  Despite efforts the number of African- American cops went down. Can't remember if it was a article or the on the news in Chicago where I saw that "image" was starting to impact their ability to recruit minorities also. Now success was found in the push for Hispanics and they increased their numbers there.

Anyway. Taking videos of officers properly doing their job and making them into devils isn't going to help community relationships in Chicago neighborhoods or is it going to help the recruitment of minorities to work these areas. It isn't going to solve the issues that the people in those communities want resolved. It isn't going to resolve issues that the ENTIRE country is complaining about in that city.

Yes there are bad cops everywhere, just like there are bad people everywhere. No issues with those videos.

Know what the really really sad part is. They got this on video, but a stray bullet hits that kid and CPD goes looking, well noone will have a video of the car, or the plate, or the shooters, and CPD will be f-ing with the black man if they press the issue with any suspects.

On 6/10/2018 at 9:39 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

But this video isn't from Milwaukee, it is from Chicago, so this instance is absolutely a Chicago thing. This also isn't cops abusing power or beating some kid. This video and the reaction to it is part of the problem also.

The report was African American juvenile age 12, wearing all blue, and with a gun. Unfortunately the kid met the description. The officers went to question the kid, he ran from them. He was apprehended without force, hand-cuffed to be detained and officer safety, questioned, and then released. No different than they would have a white kid or Hispanic kid.

Now go read the comments on that twitter. These officers are bullies, they just did this cause he is a black kid, the report was made up so they could do this, typical cops they bullied and beat him to make him pee his pants, kid is lucky to be alive, the officers should be hung by their balls, these officers should be fired, the are just doing this to traumatize black youth, white cops are all racist, and it goes on and on. Bashing of two officers that did their job correctly it appears.

So here you have Chicago PD doing their job properly and it gets titled as "this is why we kneel". Wanna kneel on something? Kneel on the fact that kids that age are used, introduced, and ganged up in many areas of the South Side already, with several participating in violent activities including shootings. Oh Kapernick will toss a few grand at a community organization, but you aren't going to find him in Englewood after dark trying to make a difference. Least Derek Rose will go down there, props to him.

Mean hell,

https://www.npr.org/2013/02/21/172593743/chicago-kids-say-theyre-assigned-to-gangs

The majority of the complaints by people involves the age of the kid, which again in Chicago 10 year old plus with weapons isn't something you should be surprised by in the South Side.

So misrepresenting Chicago PD doesn't help anything. It in fact it does harm.

One problem you have in these neighborhoods is they are the most dangerous and they have the least experienced officers. Why? Cause the experienced officers get the hell out of there as soon as they can. So inexperience in an area that is very dangerous, where the community won't communicate with you...but expects you to clean the neighborhood up, but they hate you also, with superior pressure leaned on you cause they are catching it from higher ups, that are catching it from the country, to end the problem. The guy from the Eagles does a good job of pointing this out in Philadelphia, cause a shooting actually occurred while he was on a ride along.

Problem two for Chicago that this deters. The recruitment of African-American police officers. Think it was in 2016 that they really put a premium on recruiting and placing African-American officers in these areas to gain trust, since being a white cop was equating bad. They were (not sure if did or not) going to overlook past charges that were minor, wave the 60 college credit requirement, wave exam fees, credit checks etc. Majority unfortunately don't show or fail the written/physical portions.  Despite efforts the number of African- American cops went down. Can't remember if it was a article or the on the news in Chicago where I saw that "image" was starting to impact their ability to recruit minorities also. Now success was found in the push for Hispanics and they increased their numbers there.

Anyway. Taking videos of officers properly doing their job and making them into devils isn't going to help community relationships in Chicago neighborhoods or is it going to help the recruitment of minorities to work these areas. It isn't going to solve the issues that the people in those communities want resolved. It isn't going to resolve issues that the ENTIRE country is complaining about in that city.

Yes there are bad cops everywhere, just like there are bad people everywhere. No issues with those videos.

Know what the really really sad part is. They got this on video, but a stray bullet hits that kid and CPD goes looking, well noone will have a video of the car, or the plate, or the shooters, and CPD will be f-ing with the black man if they press the issue with any suspects.

You are using logic, reason, and facts to argue against a base that has abandoned those things for feelings and emotions. Shame on you. :)

21 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

You are using logic, reason, and facts to argue against a base that has abandoned those things for feelings and emotions. Shame on you. :)

Unfortunately that is becoming part of the problem. It has gotten to be more emotion than reason now when officers are involved and put on the net. I hate corrupt ahole cops as much as anyone and want that issue resolved, but we can't drag down all of them and keep building divisions if we want any of these issues solved.

18 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Unfortunately that is becoming part of the problem. It has gotten to be more emotion than reason now when officers are involved and put on the net. I hate corrupt ahole cops as much as anyone and want that issue resolved, but we can't drag down all of them and keep building divisions if we want any of these issues solved.

I see this often. Where I’m from, not so much but inner city it’s terrible. I would not want to do the job. I have complained about a**hole cops myself. They often find themselves in no win situations. If people could just judge each instance of conflict on its own instead of picking a side and defending it to death we’d be ok. 

I think the fact that a relatively small percentage of cops are "a**holes" - which I take to mean they are unabashedly racist - is certainly worthy of note, but on the other hand try to look at it from a "black perspective".

How many cops do you reckon are racists?  One of twenty (5%)?  One out of 40 (2.5%)?  One out of 75 (1.3%)

Obviously no one knows,  but such guesses don't seem far-fetched considering the power and authority of the job can be a strong attraction to psychopaths (for example).  And by definition, there are police departments that exceed the average whatever it is.

What percentage of the general population do you think are racist? 

Again, I don't know but there is no good reason to believe the percent of racists within the ranks of law enforcement at "working" level is less than that of the general population.  If anything, one might expect it to be higher, considering the risks combined with the relatively low pay and the "power aspects" mentioned.

I guess my point is that pointing out the large majority of LEO's are good, reasonable, non-biased people is not all that relevant in recognizing the problem.  It only takes a few bad actors to create such an image, and it's hard to refute that the behavior of these prejudiced LEO's happens on a fairly regular basis.

Furthermore, unless you are black, you will understandably have a different perspective to the problem.  This has been demonstrated with research:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/blacks-white-racism-united-states-polls/index.html

I think this disconnect between blacks and whites to the reality of racism is completely understandable.  I also think it's a valid concern regardless of what the ratio of good cops is to bad cops actually is.

I might as well volunteer a 'solution:  Increase the professionalism and training of the police (including more pay) while identifying and firing bad cops.  

How best to achieve that I don't know, but Session's redirection of the "COPS program" away from reform seems like a step backwards.

53 minutes ago, alexava said:

I see this often. Where I’m from, not so much but inner city it’s terrible. I would not want to do the job. I have complained about a**hole cops myself. They often find themselves in no win situations. If people could just judge each instance of conflict on its own instead of picking a side and defending it to death we’d be ok. 

Well put Alex.........I have worked with numerous law officers over the past 25 years.......Sit in rooms where they speak freely.......I have met some real D bags......thank goodness they are not the majority........I also realize I grew up in a good neighborhood, attended private school, and had good loving parents.......in other words I guess what I am saying is I was sheltered in a sense growing up, so its easy for me not to run, obey an officers comands, yes sir this etc.......I dont carry a weapon....never have.......with that said I honestly try to see the other side........I realize many kids werent as fortunate to have a stabile home are grow up in a decent neighborhood.

I honestly to the best of my ability try to see the complete picture.........your last sentence in the above quote could not be more TRUE.?

32 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I think the fact that a relatively small percentage of cops are "a**holes" - which I take to mean they are unabashedly racist - is certainly worthy of note, but on the other hand try to look at it from a "black perspective".

How many cops do you reckon are racists?  One of twenty (5%)?  One out of 40 (2.5%)?  One out of 75 (1.3%)

Obviously no one knows,  but such guesses don't seem far-fetched considering the power and authority of the job can be a strong attraction to psychopaths (for example).  And by definition, there are police departments that exceed the average whatever it is.

Again, I don't know but there is no good reason to believe the percent of racists within the ranks of law enforcement at "working" level is less than that of the general population.  If anything, one might expect it to be higher, considering the risks combined with the relatively low pay and the "power aspects" mentioned.

I guess my point is that pointing out the large majority of LEO's are good, reasonable, non-biased people is not all that relevant in recognizing the problem.  It only takes a few bad actors to create such an image, and it's hard to refute that the behavior of these prejudiced LEO's happens on a fairly regular basis.

Furthermore, unless you are black, you will understandably have a different perspective to the problem.  This has been demonstrated with research:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/16/politics/blacks-white-racism-united-states-polls/index.html

I think this disconnect between blacks and whites to the reality of racism is completely understandable.  I also think it's a valid concern regardless of what the ratio of good cops is to bad cops actually is.

Also, those "bad apples" often cause someone to die*, and we're talking about cops here, who are supposed to be the ones protecting and serving us. So the "bad apple" idea doesn't offer much comfort.

*Or go to jail/prison under false pretenses.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also, those "bad apples" often cause someone to die*, and we're talking about cops here, who are supposed to be the ones protecting and serving us. So the "bad apple" idea doesn't offer much comfort.

*Or go to jail/prison under false pretenses.

It certainly happens. But I’ll say 99% of the time that someone dies even when the shooting is not justified, the dead person did something to cause it. 

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Did you just copy paste that "if just one out of whatever Muslims are terrorists" argument and replace keywords with cops and black people?

Kudos if so

21 minutes ago, alexava said:

It certainly happens. But I’ll say 99% of the time that someone dies even when the shooting is not justified, the dead person did something to cause it. 

I read a story today about a gang dude who shot and killed 3 people for briefly preventing his car from making a left turn. I guess they did something to cause an unjustified shooting.

I'm not trying to say that a lot of cops, percentage wise, shoot people in error. I was saying that it's perceived differently when they do because 1) when they screw up it is often fatal and 2) their entire job is to do the exact opposite of using excessive force. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I read a story today about a gang dude who shot and killed 3 people for briefly preventing his car from making a left turn. I guess they did something to cause an unjustified shooting.

I'm not trying to say that a lot of cops, percentage wise, shoot people in error. I was saying that it's perceived differently when they do because 1) when they screw up it is often fatal and 2) their entire job is to do the exact opposite of using excessive force. 

I have no idea about your gang shooting. I am not excusing unjustified shootings. What I’m saying is black people don’t have to be walking/ driving around in fear they are going to be murdered by law enforcement. With exception of Tamir Rice I can’t think of one ( I’m sure someone else will) other shooting when the victim’s actions didn’t contribute somewhat the shooting. I think there are like 800k police contacts every day. All but a handful go without a hitch. The few that end up dead played a significant role in it themselves.  My point is you don’t get shot JUST because you’re black. You might get shot quicker.or pulled over more. (Not excusing that either) Just going on what I see if you act right you’ll be ok. You might be mad, feel mistreated, unfairly targeted or stopped. But not shot

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

I have no idea about your gang shooting. I am not excusing unjustified shootings. What I’m saying is black people don’t have to be walking/ driving around in fear they are going to be murdered by law enforcement. With exception of Tamir Rice I can’t think of one ( I’m sure someone else will) other shooting when the victim’s actions didn’t contribute somewhat the shooting. I think there are like 800k police contacts every day. All but a handful go without a hitch. The few that end up dead played a significant role in it themselves.  My point is you don’t get shot JUST because you’re black. You might get shot quicker.or pulled over more. (Not excusing that either) Just going on what I see if you act right you’ll be ok. You might be mad, feel mistreated, unfairly targeted or stopped. But not shot

I don't think anybody has argued that anyone has gotten shot only because they were black. What we are arguing is that they would not have gotten shot if they were not black. I think that is a bad enough circumstance to discuss. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think anybody has argued that anyone has gotten shot only because they were black. What we are arguing is that they would not have gotten shot if they were not black. I think that is a bad enough circumstance to discuss. 

What was it? 15% or 17%? There was a number put to it, I think Homer posted the original Washington post article that had done the research into the actual numbers, but that was like a year ago.....

Going off memory.

White people are killed the most overall. (cause there's so many of them)

Black people are killed 17% more per capita than whites. (some poster mentioned a "deaths per police interaction" study, but it was never posted, it would have been interesting).

Native Americans are killed the most per capita (but we don't talk about that)

Asian Americans are killed the least per capita (maybe they should be the measuring stick on this issue, I'm cool with whitey not being the norm we try to achieve just this once :) )

8 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Native Americans are killed the most per capita (but we don't talk about that)

I wonder if that would be different if some rich and famous ones participated in a controversial protest on national television.

23 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Did you just copy paste that "if just one out of whatever Muslims are terrorists" argument and replace keywords with cops and black people?

Kudos if so

No, it was original.  I am not familiar with the the other piece, but it sounds like a good analogy.

Certainly there are people who brand Muslims with a broad brush based on the actions of a few. It's the same psychology.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

Certainly there are people who brand Muslims with a broad brush based on the actions of a few. It's the same psychology.

People brand Muslims with a broad brush because the Quran is very open about its intentions towards infidels and its mission of global conquest.  Considering that I'm fairly certain that the police handbook doesn't state anything about killing or persecuting black people because they're black, I'm not exactly sure where you're going with this comparison.

Archived