NFL - players will be fined for kneeling

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

So AU players have kneeled during the anthem? 

I didn't say they knelt. They just made their protest by standing "at ease", hands behind back, heads down, no hand over heart during the playing of the National Anthem. They even did it at one game when AU was honoring an old vet in pre-game. I was embarrassed.

I agree that they should just stay in the dressing room while the National Anthem is being played. I don't think this behavior will happen next season.

5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

You were doing good until you you resorted to your dislike of Trump supporters.  Why do fines appease Trump supporters more than anyone else? I think this whole way of protesting makes vets angrier than anyone. What would be your reaction if you saw two Auburn basketball players doing it on court before a game?

Seriously?

Trump very deliberately threw gas on this "controversy".  Division is his stock in trade.

17 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Cmon Gandalf, you can do better than that

Being fined for not exhibiting "proper respect"?

If that's not enforced patriotism, what is?

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Trump won yet again and you and others dislike it. Let's be adults, admit it and move on shall we?

10 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Trump won yet again and you and others dislike it. Let's be adults, admit it and move on shall we?

Are you suggesting Trump is directly responsible for this NFL regulation?

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Are you suggesting Trump is directly responsible for this NFL regulation?

Are you denying it?

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Um, an employer’s employment policy?

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I didn't say they knelt. They just made their protest by standing "at ease", hands behind back, heads down, no hand over heart during the playing of the National Anthem. They even did it at one game when AU was honoring an old vet in pre-game. I was embarrassed.

I agree that they should just stay in the dressing room while the National Anthem is being played. I don't think this behavior will happen next season.

Couple of things here.

1)  I wish the NFL would adopt the college football model and have teams take the field after the anthem.  There's no reason for the players to be out there.

2) Standing "at ease" as you put it isn't uncommon in basketball at higher levels, going back to at least the 80s.   I can vividly remeber watching teams prior to NBA playoff games doing this when I was a kid.  Never thought twice about it honestly. 

Here's an example from the early 90s.  Excuse Carl Lewis' terrible singing, but the video shows my point as players are standing with hands behind their back, often heads down.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Maybe he should just sit down and have a conversation with them and get to understand their positions and issues they are protesting ...and he could explain why this is not the forum for doing that and I'm sure they would see that he actually can't do anything about their concerns...and that the protests are not generating any sympathy for their cause either.   That should end it.   Fans will continue to flock to see this bottom dwelling team and all will be right with the world. 

Fines will be transferred to the fans through increased ticket and concession/merchandise costs.

15 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

My point was, it shouldn't have even come to that.  Instead of most people bothering to sit down and have a real conversation with a player who kneeled (or a black person who supported that kneeling), they just got mad and fomented more anger on Facebook and amongst their buddies.  But if you engage a person with an open heart and mind, you can really try and understand why they felt this was the right form and forum for their protest.  And if you're a good listener to their side, then they are usually going to be willing to listen to your side of it - maybe that you feel like the powerful symbolism of our flag and the anthem for our military and their families makes choosing this venue hurtful for them.  Maybe you'll change your mind, maybe they'll change theirs, or maybe you'll both give a little while maintaining your same basic feeling on the matter.

That is how you handle something like this.  Or at least that's who emotionally mature people handle it.  But I suppose it's easier to burn jerseys, boycott advertisers and games, and rant about it on Facebook.

Well at least when they burn jerseys they are destroying THEIR personal property and not someone's buisness? 

9 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

You know what embarrasses me? That those boys’  black mothers had to tell their sons from an early age to be extremely careful around a law enforcement officer. It embarrasses me that those mothers had to live with fear of their sons not coming home because a police officer mistook their cell phone for a gun and shot them, or they were beaten to death because they were wearing a hoody, etc. Black mothers live with fears white mothers don’t live with. That should be what embarrasses us most, not that some black athlete chooses to kneel or bow his head during the anthem.

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, I don’t recall Kim Davis being fined for protesting at work. Wonder why? Oh yeah, she’s white. 

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

@Proud Tiger This is why I said Trump supporters were appeased. Already we have a Trump supporter claiming NFL fines as a Trump victory. 

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Couple of things here.

1)  I wish the NFL would adopt the college football model and have teams take the field after the anthem.  There's no reason for the players to be out there.

2) Standing "at ease" as you put it isn't uncommon in basketball at higher levels, going back to at least the 80s.   I can vividly remeber watching teams prior to NBA playoff games doing this when I was a kid.  Never thought twice about it honestly. 

Here's an example from the early 90s.  Excuse Carl Lewis' terrible singing, but the video shows my point as players are standing with hands behind their back, often heads down.

Couple things here:

1) I’ll be down around Albany for the next week, and I don’t mean the one one in Georgia 

2) I’m going to play the course

3) Maybe Tiger will be home

4) Then I’m going to hop around the islands

5) And maybe play more golf

6) I don’t know what I’m saying

7) Lastly, you already know about the Fox News anchor

23 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Couple things here:

1) I’ll be down around Albany for the next week, and I don’t mean the one one in Georgia 

That’s five more than a couple. Before I teach you to flirt, we can work on basic math. 

32 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Couple things here:

Enjoy yourself Nola?

14 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

That’s five more than a couple. Before I teach you to flirt, we can work on basic math. 

Nola + Elle = white-hot heat.

@AUFAN78 you better shut this down quick

10 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Are you denying it?

I never suggested it. 

But if so, is it a proper thing for the POTUS to do?  Encourage fines - or worse - for black people for making a valid protest?  

Such a uniter this president is. :-\

Just now, homersapien said:

Yes.  The employer is enforcing "proper respect".

The employer is allowing players to kneel subject to fine. Irrespective of the label, the employer hasn’t done anything outside of its power. 

Just now, homersapien said:

I never suggested it. 

But if so, is it a proper thing for the POTUS to do?  Fine black people for making a valid protest?  

Such a uniter this president is. :-\

As you know, That would be unconstitutional

Archived