NFL - players will be fined for kneeling

7 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

No worries. According to some I’m an unbecoming educator. And I’ve had google training. I can give him all the links he wants. ?

What time for dinner tonight?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

What time for dinner tonight?

I’ve got to get up early in the morning to catch a flight, so early works better. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

100% chance he has no idea who/what Deadpool is.

I didn't know so I googled it. It said.............deadpool------Elles' cranium.;D

14 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I didn't know so I googled it. It said.............deadpool------Elles' cranium.;D

Watching Deadpool can improve your jokes. 

15 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That attempt at a joke.

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

Watching Deadpool can improve your jokes. 

Deadpool will also improve sex appeal and give you magical insanity powers.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:54 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

Cmon Gandalf, you can do better than that

You don’t even know me...or do you Raptor?

7 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

I think that's what she calls "But Obama." It's OK though when it is perceived as something something "good"

You were the one who brought Obama into this. Not me. 

On 5/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, AU64 said:

I'm thinking it should depend on where the symbol is displayed.....someone with objectionable bumper sticker on their car in the employee lot or flag on their home should be nobody's business IMO.    

Wearing that same symbol on a shirt where customers are likely to see it  is another thing and companies should be able to have a dress code for workers who serve the customer.   As for the NFL....if players want to take a knee in the dressing room while the anthem is playing outside...have at it,  but once they are on the field in the presence of customers, the owner should be able to determine what is acceptable.  

I agree with you. Especially in a day an age to where even the "my kid beat up your honor student" or "my springer spaniel is smarter than your honor student" or my personal favorite "The Empire Doesn't Care About Your Stick Family" (show tie fighters killing stick people) can be offensive to someone.

My point was really to point out the current hypocrisy of some on this board in regards to this issue. When it was the Confederate Flag then anything was good to go in regards to punishment of employees by employers. Now all the sudden the rights of the employer in regards to impressions of consumers on their products doesn't matter.

Course also at that time the current US flag and it's origins were to be overlooked (argued by the same group of individuals) vs. the Confederate Flag and the US flag was deemed not to be oppressive due to its development. As we have seen in the past 2 years the US flag and it's origins are considered oppressive and offensive now. Thus putting it into the same category as the Confederate flag lol.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:33 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

I don’t think the two are analogous. If a person is fired becuase of a flag they choose to fly on their own property, be it a personal vehicle or house, I think that’s different becuase such a policy arguably would exceed their scope of employment and perhaps be invalidated on those grounds. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but it would raise entirely different issues.

Also, to my knowledge, nfl players aren’t being threatened with losing their jobs through this new policy.

Am I making sense?

You do. Like I said before, my main point is here on this board with some posters when it came to the Confederate Flag the employer had every right to do what they want.

And it has happened:

A former police sergeant, fired for flying a Confederate flag outside her Georgia home, is suing the police department.

Silvia Cotriss, a nearly 20-year veteran of the Roswell Police Department, was terminated over what the department called conduct unbecoming an officer: a confederate flag, raised above her front porch in the neighboring town of Woodstock.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/18/us/confederate-flag-officer-sues/index.html

This teacher was forced out because they actually taught factual history:

But the school district argued that it did not really matter how the flag was used during the Civil War; it should not be seen by students today. “We recognize that regardless of context, to many of our students, families, and staff, the Confederate flag is a racist symbol of hate. Although this matter is under investigation, it is important to reiterate: Any employee who is found to engage in behavior that creates an unsafe environment for students will face full consequences, including the possibility of initiating termination proceedings.”

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/25265-teacher-forced-out-for-using-confederate-flag-in-civil-war-history-lesson

Which is interesting to me now that athletes, schools, and community groups are now finding the current and past US flags offensive.

On 5/25/2018 at 6:41 AM, GiveEmElle said:

You do realize this is a smack talk forum, right?  I’m sure no one in this forum behaves at their jobs the way they do here. I’ve had people like you attack my job performance and even my diabetic child so you can spare me your remarks about how I can’t possibly be a good educator because I express my political views in a smack talk forum. But it is intersting to note that you are concerned with my character as an educator but not at all concerned about the character of the President of the United States. As a matter of fact, I never notice anyone attacking the way men do their jobs in here, so is it because I’m a woman with an opinion? Hypocrisy? 

Sucks that it is a smack talk forum, where all topics of political nature end up on this board. Way they choose to run it, I wish they were like another place I read where attack the post and not the poster is very heavily enforced. Not my call and if I don't like I can not participate.

You are right, people shouldn't attack you and they definitely should not attack your child. You are an educator though, and thus are responsible for the development of peoples children and unfortunately that puts you in the viewed differently category. Just like you stated that the girl athlete at GSU is viewed differently or that the cheerleaders social media accounts were monitored and viewed differently at school.

And yes, I have seen males attacked about how qualified or good they would be at their job on this very forum. I can name two that made statements about me in reference to careers and possible performance.

53 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Sucks that it is a smack talk forum, where all topics of political nature end up on this board. Way they choose to run it, I wish they were like another place I read where attack the post and not the poster is very heavily enforced. Not my call and if I don't like I can not participate.

You are right, people shouldn't attack you and they definitely should not attack your child. You are an educator though, and thus are responsible for the development of peoples children and unfortunately that puts you in the viewed differently category. Just like you stated that the girl athlete at GSU is viewed differently or that the cheerleaders social media accounts were monitored and viewed differently at school.

And yes, I have seen males attacked about how qualified or good they would be at their job on this very forum. I can name two that made statements about me in reference to careers and possible performance.

Listen, you or anyone else is welcome to come and observe me in the classroom to ease your mind about how I’m influencing young minds. I teach about the history of Native Americans so the only time politics come up is when we cover the government’s genocide of the indiginious people of America and the NA’s fight for civil rights. I am an adult and can easily maneuver between conversing with other adults on a message board to teaching elementary students in a classroom without crossing lines. Some of you just find the need to criticize my ability to perform my job based on views I express behind an anonymous handle in a political forum on a nesssge board. Tell me, does what you post dictate your job performance? 

17 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Listen, you or anyone else is welcome to come and observe me in the classroom to ease your mind about how I’m influencing young minds. I teach about the history of Native Americans so the only time politics come up is when we cover the government’s genocide of the ingenious people of America and the NA’s fight for civil rights. I am an adult and can easily maneuver between conversing with other adults on a message board to teaching elementary students in a classroom without crossing lines. Some of you just find the need to criticize my ability to perform my job based on views I express behind an anonymous handle in a political forum on a nesssge board. Tell me, does what you post dictate your job performance? 

I wish @homersapien would read that comment. Thanks to him I am a “would be lawyer.” I’m scarred for life.

2 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Listen, you or anyone else is welcome to come and observe me in the classroom to ease your mind about how I’m influencing young minds. I teach about the history of Native Americans so the only time politics come up is when we cover the government’s genocide of the ingenious people of America and the NA’s fight for civil rights. I am an adult and can easily maneuver between conversing with other adults on a message board to teaching elementary students in a classroom without crossing lines. Some of you just find the need to criticize my ability to perform my job based on views I express behind an anonymous handle in a political forum on a nesssge board. Tell me, does what you post dictate your job performance? 

I don't want to observe you, I'm sure you are capable. I even agreed you shouldn't be attacked and especially your child.

All I pointed out is that possibly the reason this happens is for the same reason/regulations you have put on others. Held to a different standard due to representation even outside of your job. That is what you said about the soccer girl at GSU, she's an athlete and is held to a higher standard (the only athlete held to that standard at GSU). Then informed me that cheerleaders at your school (or some school) have their social media accounts monitored.

Just like if you were a Police Officer right now you would catch crap for your political views for the smallest deviation from an individuals personal beliefs.

Awesome, you claim to specialize in NA civil rights. Then you will agree that Buffalo Soldier specialty plates in Texas should be removed due to their perceived oppression of the Comanche in the same way Sons of Confederate Veteran plates were oppressive.

Please show me where I criticized anything.

Yes, there are some topics here that revolve around my field and I display the same attitude in their adherence, support, and thoughts on change. They don't swing to the Trump side either if you want to know.

So.... Buffalo Soldier statues, memorabilia, honors...... strip em like the Confederacy? I answered your question.

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I don't want to observe you, I'm sure you are capable. I even agreed you shouldn't be attacked and especially your child.

All I pointed out is that possibly the reason this happens is for the same reason/regulations you have put on others. Held to a different standard due to representation even outside of your job. That is what you said about the soccer girl at GSU, she's an athlete and is held to a higher standard (the only athlete held to that standard at GSU). Then informed me that cheerleaders at your school (or some school) have their social media accounts monitored.

Just like if you were a Police Officer right now you would catch crap for your political views for the smallest deviation from an individuals personal beliefs.

Awesome, you claim to specialize in NA civil rights. Then you will agree that Buffalo Soldier specialty plates in Texas should be removed due to their perceived oppression of the Comanche in the same way Sons of Confederate Veteran plates were oppressive.

Please show me where I criticized anything.

Yes, there are some topics here that revolve around my field and I display the same attitude in their adherence, support, and thoughts on change. They don't swing to the Trump side either if you want to know.

So.... Buffalo Soldier statues, memorabilia, honors...... strip em like the Confederacy? I answered your question.

I just fail to see why people think that I can’t possibly do my job because of my political views expressed here. It’s ridiculous. But if you must know, no one here knows my name. No one I’m employed by is aware of my presence here. My FB is sanitary and my Twitter is locked. I’m aware that social media has consequences so I’m careful where I say what. I don’t understand why this is hard for you guys to understand. I’m extremely aware of moral turpitude of my profession and follow my employers rules. 

I don’t claim to specialize in NA civil rights, I merely said it was a subject I teach. We discuss the occupation of Alcatraz and how it brought attention to the issue of civil rights for indigenous. I’m not extremely knowledgeable about Comanche history, we tend  to focus on the Cherokee so I can’t answer your question. 

19 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

You do. Like I said before, my main point is here on this board with some posters when it came to the Confederate Flag the employer had every right to do what they want.

And it has happened:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/18/us/confederate-flag-officer-sues/index.html

This teacher was forced out because they actually taught factual history:

https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/25265-teacher-forced-out-for-using-confederate-flag-in-civil-war-history-lesson

Which is interesting to me now that athletes, schools, and community groups are now finding the current and past US flags offensive.

First, do you not really see the differences between the US flag  and the Confederate flag (beyond the fact they are both pieces of cloth)?

Secondly, the suggestion that "athletes, schools and community groups are finding the US flag offensive" is absurdly mistaken.  A figment of your imagination.

18 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I wish @homersapien would read that comment. Thanks to him I am a “would be lawyer.” I’m scarred for life.

Excuse me, but are you not a would be lawyer?  Are you not still working on a law degree?  :dunno:

If that's not correct, please let me know.  But if correct, why would it be an insult, much less scarring you for life?  That seems a little over-sensitive me.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Excuse me, but are you not a would be lawyer?  Are you not still working on a law degree?  :dunno:

If that's not correct, please let me know.  But if correct, why would it be an insult, much less scarring you for life?  That seems a little over-sensitive me.

Because anyone who refers to another as a “would-be” doesn’t mean to advance a negative connotation, do they?

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

First, do you not really see the differences between the US flag  and the Confederate flag (beyond the fact they are both pieces of cloth)?

Secondly, the suggestion that "athletes, schools and community groups are finding the US flag offensive" is absurdly mistaken.  A figment of your imagination.

Do we not have people taking knees on the flag saying that it represent oppression. Do we not have people relating 1776 to oppression, sorry the first flag version hit in 1777 which at time slavery and oppression still existed if you are going to get technical, but did originate from the movements of 1776.

Both are associated with oppression, both are flown prominently by hate groups, both have historical ties that are being considered oppressive by groups.

It's interesting how if I view the using of "party like 1776" as oppressive silly I'm bat s*** crazy as you said.

Yet if I go with my Comanche Heritage and look at the US Calvary reducing them from 50,000 plus to less than 5,000 in its expansion west under the same flag I'm not seeing the difference? Is there really a huge moral difference between slavery and genocide? Why can I not be offended by the US flag as an African American would the Confederate flag. Does rape, murder of women and children with butts of rifles and boot heels to save ammo mean nothing?

Funny how a simple google search will yield article after article about how the US flag is oppressive, drenched in blood by those that the country does not care for,

The American flag, drenched in the blood of American Indians and enslaved Africans, has been romanticized as a symbol of guardianship for all citizens of this nation

https://www.theroot.com/patriotism-is-for-white-people-1818724099

I am not sure why the national anthem and the so-called American flag are part of our nation’s sports pageantry. Before 2009, while the national anthem was played, sports gladiators were not required to suit up, stand up, and put their hands to their hearts; and why should they? The song that is sung is an insult to people of color. When I hear “the land of the free and the home of the brave,” I think, “the land of the thief and the home of the slave.

http://www.phillytrib.com/commentary/the-american-flag-is-soaked-in-black-blood/article_2a58e215-a938-57c3-9818-d69d2a1f66f4.html

One flag fought, well my ancestors that fought for the south didn't cause we have their journals (but who cares why they really fought), for a system of slavery.

One flag fought to erase a people and take their land for western expansion. Upon their final defeat to avoid extinction were then removed to the equivalent of concentration camps. Geez man, even freaking Hitler gave us credit as an influence for the way we handled the "Native American" problem:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/30/how-american-racism-influenced-hitler

Are you telling me the Comanche Wars were a figment of my imagination also? You do realize those additional stars on the US flag came from their blood and removal?

7 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Do we not have people taking knees on the flag saying that it represent oppression. Do we not have people relating 1776 to oppression, sorry the first flag version hit in 1777 which at time slavery and oppression still existed if you are going to get technical, but did originate from the movements of 1776.

Both are associated with oppression, both are flown prominently by hate groups, both have historical ties that are being considered oppressive by groups.

It's interesting how if I view the using of "party like 1776" as oppressive silly I'm bat s*** crazy as you said.

Yet if I go with my Comanche Heritage and look at the US Calvary reducing them from 50,000 plus to less than 5,000 in its expansion west under the same flag I'm not seeing the difference? Is there really a huge moral difference between slavery and genocide? Why can I not be offended by the US flag as an African American would the Confederate flag. Does rape, murder of women and children with butts of rifles and boot heels to save ammo mean nothing?

Funny how a simple google search will yield article after article about how the US flag is oppressive, drenched in blood by those that the country does not care for,

https://www.theroot.com/patriotism-is-for-white-people-1818724099

http://www.phillytrib.com/commentary/the-american-flag-is-soaked-in-black-blood/article_2a58e215-a938-57c3-9818-d69d2a1f66f4.html

One flag fought, well my ancestors that fought for the south didn't cause we have their journals (but who cares why they really fought), for a system of slavery.

One flag fought to erase a people and take their land for western expansion. Upon their final defeat to avoid extinction were then removed to the equivalent of concentration camps. Geez man, even freaking Hitler gave us credit as an influence for the way we handled the "Native American" problem:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/30/how-american-racism-influenced-hitler

Are you telling me the Comanche Wars were a figment of my imagination also? You do realize those additional stars on the US flag came from their blood and removal?

I am not "telling you" anything.  (Well except that the idea that "athletes, schools and community groups are finding the US flag offensive" is absurd.)

I am asking what all this has to do with NFL players protesting unequal treatment of black citizens?

Archived