Can Slayton be the all-around WR we need?

WFE12

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am still baffled as to why Rhett Lashlee thought JF3 was more coveted over the guy who went to V. Tech. I can understand taking NM as a risk due to the fact, he at the very least had a cannon of an arm. Accuracy is another issue, but I really don’t understand what they saw on game film that made them think he was a better get than the other prospect. 

I don't know that it was an either/or situation, as I've never seen any proof that the kid who went to V. Tech wanted to go to Auburn, but I think with JF3, they saw what everyone saw on the TV show and for some reason couldn't grasp that it was just one game that happened to be the best game of his career. Rhett and Gus both seemed to have a bit of "shiny new toy" syndrome, especially when they see someone who's REALLY fast.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Gotcha. Yeah, I think every coach has a love for speed. And a couple of them use it better. Urban Meyer is probably Exhibit A. 

UM, Chip Kelly, Art Briles, Gary Patterson. Granted these guys play in the Big 12 and Ten but the guys we are recruiting have that speed with SEC bodies. 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:17 AM, atl-tiger said:
On 5/31/2018 at 10:30 AM, Tiger said:

Does anyone have an actual reason as to why a coach would limit his offense in this manner? Isn't it common knowledge that if a WR is known to run multiple routes he becomes exponentially harder to defend? Isn't Gus a former WR? :dunno:

Million dollar question.

Because he spends all of their practice time teaching them to block.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
23 minutes ago, DAG said:

I will say this, even though JF3 was extremely limited from a passing standpoint, I thought the combination with him and Truitt worked very well. I wouldn’t advocate for that in most games but with how desperate we were in that UGA game , I thought that could at least moved the ball a little to set us up in scoring position. Ehh hindsight is 20/20

OMG. It was like the entire reason for JF3 existing at Auburn finally presented itself, and Gus just sat over there picking his nose and pretending that Sean White still had 2 good arms attached to his body. 

Unfortunately Franklin broke Gus rule #1 that almost no one recovers from... he put the ball on the ground. You have to be a superstar to recover from that one a Gus team.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

UM, Chip Kelly, Art Briles, Gary Patterson. Granted these guys play in the Big 12 and Ten but the guys we are recruiting have that speed with SEC bodies. 

Oh damn, we left out Lincoln Riley.

Anyway. I do believe that Gus is very normal among HCs in having a speed fetish, and I've been on board with every <=4.4 guy he's recruited. Even Franklin, because I assumed there was no way that they actually planned to let him play QB. But he does need to scheme and utilize all his talent better, as you said before. As much as people like to beat their chests about KJ's total yards and the 1,000 yard rusher streak, well yeah, that's going to happen when you pick a guy in week 4 and then don't let anyone else touch the ball all season. Maybe, just maybe if defenses had to honestly defend the other guys on the field... Oh dear. Here I go again. I'm sorry. 

Good conversation. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m not calling them a bust though. Those guys are athletes and you have to utilize them accordingly. I am just speaking on Gus’s love for speed.

Gotcha. Yeah, I think every coach has a love for speed. And a couple of them use it better. Urban Meyer is probably Exhibit A. 

Yea, not saying we had a bunch of busts, just saying Gus sees top level speed and he's immediately looking at the next Tyreek Hill/Bo Jackson/Nick Marshal (depending on position) when what he is really getting, more often than not, is a solid player who's name isn't going to grace many headlines. The issue is that it seems like, when presented with an already well rounded player and a player with potential who's lightning fast, Gus always picks fast. Like the a fore mentioned Al Davis, he's sold that he can win with fast over all else. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Coaching staff has to actually utilize the innate talent of the guys. It’s pretty simple. Quite frankly we have enough athletes to go 5 wide all dang game if we wanted to, but we know that won’t happen. We have too much talent on the offensive end to be so limited in how we move the ball. I am still ticked on how under utilized Stanton Truitt was with his time here on the plains.

CGM has massive trust issues - he likes his WR's used as blocking dummies (it helps the run game), he loves speed but he no longer takes risks and he abhors turning the ball over.  Some old coach once said, three things can happen when a QB passes the ball and 2 of 'em ain't good..........

So, CGM relies heavily on the safe, secure, and dependable run game.  A ground attack were speed, movement, and deception are the order of the day.  The problem with this concept is defenses catch up too quickly.  Gus has to let Chip take the reigns, bring in new looks, take some risks and utilize the horses they brought in to the stable.  We'll see in a few months if it's the same old same old stuff, or if a lesson has been learned by a stubborn HC.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

So, CGM relies heavily on the safe, secure, and dependable run game.  A ground attack were speed, movement, and deception are the order of the day.  The problem with this concept is defenses catch up too quickly.

The problem is that he's throttled back the speed significantly and the movement has nearly vanished. His offense is perpetuated on having players who can wear many hats, and execute complex assignments, so they can mix it up without slowing down and always keep the D guessing. Thanks to injuries and various aspects of coaching (whether it be recruiting the wrong types of players or just not getting those players properly prepared), we haven't had that since 2014.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus has to let Chip take the reigns, bring in new looks, take some risks and utilize the horses they brought in to the stable.  We'll see in a few months if it's the same old same old stuff, or if a lesson has been learned

It definitely time for Auburn 2.0. Maybe if we can get a versatile offense rolling under Chip's guidance, it will wake the mad genius and he will be able to get back to creating the wrinkles he used to be famous for.

51 minutes ago, keesler said:

CGM has massive trust issues - he likes his WR's used as blocking dummies (it helps the run game), he loves speed but he no longer takes risks and he abhors turning the ball over.  Some old coach once said, three things can happen when a QB passes the ball and 2 of 'em ain't good..........

So, CGM relies heavily on the safe, secure, and dependable run game.  A ground attack were speed, movement, and deception are the order of the day.  The problem with this concept is defenses catch up too quickly.  Gus has to let Chip take the reigns, bring in new looks, take some risks and utilize the horses they brought in to the stable.  We'll see in a few months if it's the same old same old stuff, or if a lesson has been learned by a stubborn HC.

That "old coach" was Darrel Royal of Texas FYI.

The entire (skill position) 2-deep is made up of dynamic quality & speed.  But like the "Barrett Newest Wildcard" thread, there's always the TRUE wildcard: Will the head coach allow the offensive coordinator to utilize all that talent?  

200.gif

17 hours ago, keesler said:

Or, as with the Clemson game in 2016, he just straight up doesn't think his team is as good as the other team and tries to avoid playing American football altogether. Or he doesn't trust his backups when the 1s go down. Or he doesn't trust Sean White in the red zone. Or he doesn't trust his offense to continue to score points in the 2nd half against LSU. 

I still don't know how much of this is him still being somewhat green as a big time football coach and how much, if any, is him having a fundamental lack of spine. But I am encouraged that we saw a complete and total badass walk the sidelines for some big games this past November and even for most of the first half in the SECCG. We might see a lot more of that Gus going forward. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

But I am encouraged that we saw a complete and total badass walk the sidelines for some big games this past November and even for most of the first half in the SECCG. We might see a lot more of that Gus going forward. 

Please?????

P06CcZg.gif

Archived