Open Club  ·  57 members

BBQ Boys

What's for Dinner?

Barnacle

12 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I have a friend goes by TheDutchOne on xbox1......been gaming together about 5yrs........makes me want to cry when he discusss cheese and some of their native dishes.

If you want to cry, just go anywhere in Europe and try cheese that hasn't been ruined by pasteurizing it... *wistful sigh*

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing about Dutch is when his girlfriend gets on to him, he immediately starts speaking in Dutch lmao.

Btw, cambozola is one of our current favorites. A mix of French triple cream and gorgonzola. Creamy, funky, salty, amazing. Great with some orange marmalade, pomegranate paste or other fancypants fruit spread. 

And I really need to find some good Tillamook varieties somewhere. They make some killer cheddars. Their smoked cheddar... lawd. 

Random thought: Anyone else remember the Burly Earl in Bham?

Went with some tried and true grilled chicken last night. You absolutely CANNOT screw up bone-in, skin-on thighs - I'm convinced of it. 

Season liberally with some white/black magic. 

IMG_20180604_120656.jpg

IMG_20180603_173742.jpg

Set the grill to about 300 degrees, using B&B Hickory Lump Charcoal 

IMG_20180603_173713.jpg

I usually let them sit for a while - never less than one hour, sometimes as much as two hours depending on the temp and the chicken. 

IMG_20180603_183358.jpg

I threw on a couple of burgers - nothing special there. This is probably around the 1.25 hour mark for the chicken. 

IMG_20180603_184212.jpg

Once I pulled the burgers, I went a head and flipped the chicken to get a sear on the skin side. At this point I opened up the lid and let the coals flame up. 

IMG_20180603_184420.jpg

Found at Kroger. It's not bad - has a good kick to it. I added a little bit to my sauce that I normally use (1 part Blues Hog BBQ Sauce, 1 part Tiger Sauce)

IMG_20180603_184829.jpg

Ready to pull them off. Probably just under an hour and a half cook time. 

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180603184932777_COVER.jpg

Time to grub. These make great leftovers too. 

IMG_20180603_184921.jpg

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Please tell me when you have your official food blog up and running. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not gonna read the articles. I'm gonna look at it for the pictures. 

Damn, son.

(I grilled boneless, skinless breasts last night for sandwiches. S&P and olive oil. Lettuce, tomato and mayo on a grocery store burger bun. Basic as basic gets- a BLT with chicken instead of bacon- but they were actually really satisfying.)

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Please tell me when you have your official food blog up and running. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not gonna read the articles. I'm gonna look at it for the pictures. 

Damn, son.

(I grilled boneless, skinless breasts last night for sandwiches. S&P and olive oil. Lettuce, tomato and mayo on a grocery store burger bun. Basic as basic gets- a BLT with chicken instead of bacon- but they were actually really satisfying.)

HA! Appreciate the kind words. I'll take credit for the food, but the pics...I'm telling you guys, it's the Pixel 2. 

Also - simple food is often the best food. Dap to the Chicken BLT. 

On 5/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, Brad_ATX said:

One of my favorite things to do is to slow smoke a prime rib roast instead of using the traditional cooking style.  Adds a great oak flavor to the cut.  Smoke at 250 until the internal reaches about 130 for medium rare.  Let it sit for 10-15 minutes after and enjoy.  Should be about 135-140 internal temp when you cut it open.  It's freaking delicious and pretty easy.  I use Montreal seasoning generously on the roast before putting it in the smoke.

33739.jpeg

IMG1875301981.jpg

This one has me feeling inspired, for sure. I'd like to try it using a coffee rub.

25 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

HA! Appreciate the kind words. I'll take credit for the food, but the pics...I'm telling you guys, it's the Pixel 2. 

Also - simple food is often the best food. Dap to the Chicken BLT. 

Yeah man, loving my Pixel for the... pics...  (Still on a learning curve coming over from iOS)

Going to Italy completely changed my thought processes on cooking. I couldn't believe how simple everything was. Quality over quantity for sure when it comes to ingredients. 

(Of course, had a fancy meal in Paris that changed my thought processes again, but that's a different story...)

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Went with some tried and true grilled chicken last night. You absolutely CANNOT screw up bone-in, skin-on thighs! - I'm convinced of it. 

Season liberally with some white/black magic. 

IMG_20180604_120656.jpg

IMG_20180603_173742.jpg

Set the grill to about 300 degrees, using B&B Hickory Lump Charcoal 

IMG_20180603_173713.jpg

I usually let them sit for a while - never less than one hour, sometimes as much as two hours depending on the temp and the chicken. 

IMG_20180603_183358.jpg

I threw on a couple of burgers - nothing special there. This is probably around the 1.25 hour mark for the chicken. 

IMG_20180603_184212.jpg

Once I pulled the burgers, I went a head and flipped the chicken to get a sear on the skin side. At this point I opened up the lid and let the coals flame up. 

IMG_20180603_184420.jpg

Found at Kroger. It's not bad - has a good kick to it. I added a little bit to my sauce that I normally use (1 part Blues Hog BBQ Sauce, 1 part Tiger Sauce)

IMG_20180603_184829.jpg

Ready to pull them off. Probably just under an hour and a half cook time. 

Time to grub. These make great leftovers too!. 

IMG_20180603_184921.jpg

"These make great leftovers too!." 

Well covered on all the essential points [that I can ID]. As to leftovers,

ever thrown these into an ersatz (i.e., squirrel-less), "Brunswick-esque" stew? Cornbread on the side.

The corn lady is back (actually, has been back in business for a few days, and her wares for this year have been test-driven)!

Local silver queen is in season, and fresh- (as in. today-) picked is available. Not sure how familiar all here are with the product, but I can usually tell if her husband picked an ear this morning vs their 2nd, p.m., daily picking; silver-queen sugar>>starch clock starts out pretty fast.

2 of those pre-smoked pork chops I stashed away Memorial Day, thawed for final pan browning (and my final test of the "reverse sear" method, to see how much interim freezing dries them).

1/2 doz. ears of corn

large pan (cast-iron chicken fryer) of fried apples.

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

The corn lady is back (actually, has been back in business for a few days, and her wares for this year have been test-driven)!

Local silver queen is in season, and fresh- (as in. today-) picked is available. Not sure how familiar all here are with the product, but I can usually tell if her husband picked an ear this morning vs their 2nd, p.m., daily picking; silver-queen sugar>>starch clock starts out pretty fast.

2 of those pre-smoked pork chops I stashed away Memorial Day, thawed for final pan browning (and my final test of the "reverse sear" method, to see how much interim freezing dries them).

1/2 doz. ears of corn

Corn, peaches and tomatoes. Rejoice. Rejoice!

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Corn, peaches and tomatoes. Rejoice. Rejoice!

'tis the season

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, McLoofus said:

Damn, son.

Like I said few days back.......photo skills top notch........and I second the food blog.........Put it this way.....I hate bone in chicken....always have.

Looking at those pictures made my mouth water.....not joking in the least?

17 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

1/2 doz. ears of corn

Final followup

Chops came out excellent. Smoke now, brown later is a viable method.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple stuff.

Alas, Silver Queen is done (Gawd, she was beautiful in her youth!), and I'm testing how out our remaining local sweet corns are this year. Still cogitatin' holiday plans (and, among my considerations is a big corn salad).

Split (through the breast) and folded back whole chicken. Sprinkled (in and out) w. / toasted sesame oil, roasted garlic, chipotle powder, and salt. "Smoke roasted" (roasting temp, indirect heat in a plain old Weber kettle, w./ smoke wood around edges of the fire side of the kettle, vented to draw across the bird), so  not BBQ?

Boiled "peaches and cream" (a bi-color) corn. It's become the favorite of local farmers 'cause, though not as sweet and tender as others upon picking, it holds quality relatively longer and also enjoys a (considerably) longer season. My dear wife considers (enough) corn both a vegetable and a starch, and our butter dish becomes a dredging trough this time of year.

18 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Simple stuff.

Alas, Silver Queen is done (Gawd, she was beautiful in her youth!), and I'm testing how out our remaining local sweet corns are this year. Still cogitatin' holiday plans (and, among my considerations is a big corn salad).

Split (through the breast) and folded back whole chicken. Sprinkled (in and out) w. / toasted sesame oil, roasted garlic, chipotle powder, and salt. "Smoke roasted" (roasting temp, indirect heat in a plain old Weber kettle, w./ smoke wood around edges of the fire side of the kettle, vented to draw across the bird), so  not BBQ?

Boiled "peaches and cream" (a bi-color) corn. It's become the favorite of local farmers 'cause, though not as sweet and tender as others upon picking, it holds quality relatively longer and also enjoys a (considerably) longer season. My dear wife considers (enough) corn both a vegetable and a starch, and our butter dish becomes a dredging trough this time of year.

Sesame oil and chipotle?!?!?! Together?!?! Those are two of my favorite flavors but I've never even considered them together. That must have smelled like heaven on a grate. Sesame oil is one of those elemental fragrances for me.

We need to find a corn guy. Really shouldn't be hard in this area.

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sesame oil and chipotle?!?!?! Together?!?! Those are two of my favorite flavors but I've never even considered them together. That must have smelled like heaven on a grate. Sesame oil is one of those elemental fragrances for me.

We need to find a corn guy. Really shouldn't be hard in this area.

Has worked for me many times. Sometimes I'll also rub on a little citrus. Note that (at least cigarette-sodden) I find little value in the regular sesame oil in this situation. The toasted (or, on some labels, roasted) oil has a bit more oomph (and more for nose than tongue). I've had some luck patting the sesame seeds to the top of the bird but, often, I just burn those to a char.

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Has worked for me many times. Sometimes I'll also rub on a little citrus. Note that (at least cigarette-sodden) I find little value in the regular sesame oil in this situation. The toasted (or, on some labels, roasted) oil has a bit more oomph (and more for nose than tongue). I've had some luck patting the sesame seeds to the top of the bird but, often, I just burn those to a char.

Lime is beautiful with both of those things, for sure. 

I think I'll try that the next time I drag the grill out. 

On 6/30/2018 at 7:30 PM, McLoofus said:

This turned into shrimp and grits. So glad we can get Conecuh here.

IMG_20180630_180444.jpg

Nice counter top but be careful putting that strainer with shrimp on top of it bare. That is if I'm seeing it correctly and nothing better then shrimp/grits

16 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Nice counter top but be careful putting that strainer with shrimp on top of it bare. That is if I'm seeing it correctly and nothing better then shrimp/grits

It was very brief and I'm super anal about wiping the counters immediately after any substance touches them. Learned the hard way after my wife left half a lemon sitting on our granite countertop cut side down. Yes, you read that right. Smdh.

Seriously, though, thanks for the lookout.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was very brief and I'm super anal about wiping the counters immediately after any substance touches them. Learned the hard way after my wife left half a lemon sitting on our granite countertop cut side down. Yes, you read that right. Smdh.

Seriously, though, thanks for the lookout.

Figured that:clap:..... my wife has had blood in her eyes when she USE to see me do that. Remember she's a Hatfield.................god am I trained

Archived