safety CJ Harris ineligible

AUDub

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Since people keep making this erroneous statement (not calling you out, Shocks, you aren't the first). 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monazhang/2018/04/05/no-cbd-is-not-legal-in-all-50-states

Waters are muddy. But it’s legal in my state, the one that the same sheriff was pumping himself up on(charges dropped, ass he made of himself).

https://www.potnetwork.com/news/tennessee-sheriffs-raid-23-shops-allegedly-selling-synthetic-drug-cbd

https://medium.com/cbd-origin/is-cbd-legal-legal-status-of-cbd-2018-d1b4a0ed42df

and is that ‘our’ Mamadou Ndiaye?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I'm no expert, but according to my wife the pharmacist, there are a lot of drugs on the market that treat epilepsy.

Your wife is a pharmacist.......humm I was in pharmaceutical wholesale for 31 years

7 hours ago, djg0017 said:

Sigh..and with schedule 1 drugs, it’s so much harder for researchers to buy them to test and run trials (non-human at least). I work with a drug and toxins research lab, and even within class 1 drugs..we can order as much heroin as we want without anybody batting and eyelash, but marijuana... Too many hoops to jump through for it to even be worth it most of the time. Pretty sad and bass ackwards.

Interesting because I was in pharma. wholesale for, see post above,. way back went you could purchase marijuana from us I actually have the licence from my distribution center proofing it cause no believes me. Of course its now a no no......

Source: Cannabis oil not related to AU rescinding roster spot

By Brandon Marcello

28m ago • 3 min read

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn did not clear safety C.J. Harris to play football and rescinded its offer for a preferred walk-on spot because of a pre-existing medical condition, a source tells Auburn Undercover.

Harris grabbed headlines this week when news spread Harris was ineligible to play because the NCAA does not allow players to ingest cannabis oil, even on a prescription basis. Harris has epilepsy and uses the oil every six hours for treatment. The Warner Robins, Georgia native claims he has been seizure-free since January 20, 2017 because of the oil.

Auburn’s team physician did not clear Harris due to the pre-existing medical conditions, a source close to the Auburn football program said. The Auburn medical staff was concerned about the epilepsy and wanted to protect his well being in a full-contact sport that could lead to head trauma, the source said.

Harris’ use of medicinal cannabis oil was not the issue at the time, the source said. The prescription was never discussed by Auburn’s medical staff because he was not cleared after reviewing his medical history.

Harris was alerted he could not play at Auburn by safeties coach Greg Brown in recent weeks, according to WXGA-TV.

"I broke down," Harris told WXGA-TV. "This is my dream. I saw everything lining up perfectly for me."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/source-cannabis-oil-not-related-to-au-rescinding-roster-spot/

Little more content to this updated article. Can’t copy and paste. Apparently CJ’s story was noticed by a Georgia law maker and pushed by the epilepsy foundation against the NCAA so they’d change their policies. It’s going to be bad if the NCAA had nothing to do with it.

Also didn’t realize that Tannon Snow was battling seizure episodes and took a whole year to find the right combination of meds before she could be cleared.

jeff from post above

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn did not clear safety C.J. Harris to play football and rescinded its offer for a preferred walk-on spot because of a pre-existing medical condition, a source tells Auburn Undercover.

Harris grabbed headlines this week when news spread Harris was ineligible to play because the NCAA does not allow players to ingest cannabis oil, even on a prescription basis. Harris has epilepsy and uses the oil every six hours for treatment. The Warner Robins, Georgia native claims he has been seizure-free since January 20, 2017 because of the oil.

Auburn’s team physician did not clear Harris due to the pre-existing medical conditions, a source close to the Auburn football program said. The Auburn medical staff was concerned about the epilepsy and wanted to protect his well being in a full-contact sport that could lead to head trauma, the source said.

Harris’ use of medicinal cannabis oil was not the issue at the time, the source said. The prescription was never discussed by Auburn’s medical staff because he was not cleared after reviewing his medical history.

Harris was alerted he could not play at Auburn by safeties coach Greg Brown in recent weeks, according to WXGA-TV.

"I broke down," Harris told WXGA-TV. "This is my dream. I saw everything lining up perfectly for me."

*** Subscribe: Try Auburn Undercover's VIP package FOR FREE and get the latest intel ***
*** Get free breaking news in the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

Harris is exploring junior colleges and NAIA schools to play football, and is also exploring alternative medicines so he could play football and pass a drug test, according to WXGA-TV.

"You're taking something away from a kid who's worked so hard in his life to get there," his father, Curtis Harris, said, according to WXGA-TV. "And you're just taking it away because he's taking a medication that's helping with his disability."

Harris played for Warner Robins (Georgia) High and the team won a state championship with him starting at safety. He announced Feb. 6 he was offered a preferred walkon spot at Auburn. Auburn has not offered an official statement on Davis' status.

Harris’ story prompted Georgia State Representative Heath Clark to push for the legalization of growing medical marijuana in the state to help people like Harris.

"(CJ's) dreams have been fulfilled. He has a future,” Clark said at the time, according to the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. “He's going to get a quality education at that school across the Georgia border. But I want to urge Congress to change the laws and change the scheduling of marijuana to allow for medical research and medical purposes. It's time for Congress to act.”

Clark continues to fight for Harris today.

The prescription cannabis oil was not allowed on the grounds of Warner Robins High, so CJ’s father drove to the school and provided him a dose during lunchtime every day off of campus at their home.

Harris appears to have talked to community colleges in Mississippi, according to a string of text messages between Brown and Harris' father that were shown on the WXGA-TV telecast.

The Epilepsy Foundation asked the NCAA in a statement Friday to make an exception to their rules and allow Harris to play college football. The cannabis oilcontains small doses of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which registers on drug tests and is not allowed by the NCAA.

"We urge the NCAA to review their existing guidelines on THC and explore possible exceptions to allow players under medical treatment, like C.J., the ability to fulfill their dreams of playing college football," said Phil Gattone, the Epilepsy Foundation president and CEO. "We hope the NCAA would reconsider their decision and assess C.J. on his character and talent as a football player."

Auburn softball player Tannon Snow sat out the entire 2017 season due to an epilepsy diagnosis. Nearly one year of finding the correct combination of medication to properly treat seizures led to Auburn clearing the player to play softball.

Clearance for a football player battling seizures at Auburn, however, would be much tougher because of the medical staff's concerns for head injuries in the tackle sport.

I'm at a loss. Why on Earth would this kid's family turn this into a cause célèbre against the NCAA's policy in CBD oil? 

It's not right for either the NCAA or Auburn to take CJ's life long dream away of playing football for the Tigers.

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

It's not right for either the NCAA or Auburn to take CJ's life long dream away of playing football for the Tigers.

The Auburn medical staff was concerned about the epilepsy and wanted to protect his well being in a full-contact sport that could lead to head trauma, the source said.

That's just it, we all could be in a car crash and suffer head trauma. We just never know when of if things like will happen. I hope CJ will find a team that will allow him to play.

Auburn goes above and beyond to allow players to play if possible within safety guidelines and  concerns! Look at the 3, at least 3, that we stuck with through their battles with cancer; one went pro, and 2 are on the team now I think. So I don’t think it’s fair if anyone has blamed Auburn University for this decision.

Gold star thread on why you wait to get all the facts before running with accusations 

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

The Auburn medical staff was concerned about the epilepsy and wanted to protect his well being in a full-contact sport that could lead to head trauma, the source said.

Truth or cover because of the backlash? @passthebiscuits

I can't imagine Auburn would do anything against Harris, but I can see the NCAA putting pressure on them to make the story go away. I can also see a high school kid mistaking what a was said during an emotional conversation.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:32 AM, lionheartkc said:

But not like California. They have over-taxed it and driven it right back into the black market.

Well, after all, it's just a weed.  

;D

So have five pages of discussion based on a false premise.   And  I'm curious how many schools anywhere have offered him a scholarship or even a preferred walk-on?   He should apply to schools in Colorado, Washington or California where this would not be a problem.    

And so now AU is being criticized for doing what it thought was wise and prudent to protect the health of a prospective student athlete and some make it sound like a kid has a "right" to play college football and he or someone should force the school to accept him as a "walk-on".:dunno:.  

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So have five pages of discussion based on a false premise.   And  I'm curious how many schools anywhere have offered him a scholarship or even a preferred walk-on?   He should apply to schools in Colorado, Washington or California where this would not be a problem.    

And so now AU is being criticized for doing what it thought was wise and prudent to protect the health of a prospective student athlete and some make it sound like a kid has a "right" to play college football and he or someone should force the school to accept him as a "walk-on".:dunno:.  

A walk on with a chance of getting even more brain damage or hurt while having an seizure! No school should take that chance just to make a point or appease certain groups! The kid might be able to play another sport under his current medical situation.

His seizure issue is not new. How did he get the walk on invite to start with? 

On 5/24/2018 at 9:11 PM, autigeremt said:

Here’s the ignorance of all this. Methadone and Oxycodone are prescribabale but canabis oil isn’t? Let that sink in!

The NCAA needs to be dismantled. It’s a joke of an organization. 

It's federally illegal! The is no rational reason for marijuana to be illegal. None...Period

With an idiot like our own Jeff Sessions as AG, we will have to wait longer and ruin more lives through opiate addiction and imprisonment. 

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

His seizure issue is not new. How did he get the walk on invite to start with? 

A reasonable question but perhaps some coach made the offer without checking with AU's medical folks?    

The whole story is based on what a Georgia TV station reported..... so who know what's real?  They missed the basic premise of this OP about why he was  not accepted....and could have just as easily been wrong or overstating the nature of any discussion that his family had with AU....especially since I didn't notice that a specific coach was identified as making the "offer"...Greg Brown mentioned but not that he made an offer.   

JMO but a TV station looking for something to gain attention.  :dunno:

My nephew was advised not to play baseball at 6-7 years old because of epilepsy. then had to wear a facemask(on defense) for a year to protect him. he had standing, silent seizures. 

On 5/26/2018 at 12:09 PM, auburn4ever said:

So many people have had their dreams snatched from them. Life sucks sometimes.

Auburn should not have offered CJ a preferred walk-on scholarship only to withdrawal it a short time later. Taking a young persons dream away is never ever the right thing to do.

48 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Auburn should not have offered CJ a preferred walk-on scholarship only to withdrawal it a short time later. Taking a young persons dream away is never ever the right thing to do.

Can't disagree with a word of that.

19 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:
1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Can't disagree with a word of that.

Unfortunately, the Auburn medical staff can't examine him if he's not connected to the team, so there is no way to see if he is fit to play without offering him. It's not their fault that they disagreed with whomever cleared him to play in high school. I'm glad they put the well-being of a kid before football.

Archived