SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

Malzahn Blasted

An anonymous SEC coach gave this scorching take on Gus Malzahn in national magazine
BY JORDAN D. HILL

jhill@ledger-enquirer.com

May 25, 2018 12:07 PM

Lindy’s Sports annual college magazine typically asks SEC football coaches about the other teams in the conference and prints their responses under the condition of anonymity. When the topic of Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn came up, one coach didn’t hold back.

"Auburn is paying Gus Malzahn $50 million [Malzahn’s seven-year contract pays him $49 million], and he underachieved again," the SEC coach told Lindy’s. "If Nick Saban had Auburn's talent, he'd have won national championships the last two years. Auburn had the best front seven in college ball last year, but the offense sometimes disappears.

"If Gus would leave (offensive coordinator) Chip Lindsey alone, Auburn would be more explosive. Instead, they lost to Central Florida (in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl) and got the crap kicked out of them by Georgia in the SEC championship game after beating Georgia a few weeks before. And they give him a new contract? For what? Mediocrity?"

The Tigers beat two No. 1 teams in the 2017 season and ended the regular season with 10 victories. Auburn then ended the year with two consecutive losses, falling in the SEC Championship Game to Georgia in Atlanta 28-7 then losing in the Peach Bowl to undefeated UCF 34-27.

Auburn will try to break its Atlanta losing streak on Sept. 1 when it opens the 2018 season against Washington in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

I bet $50 Million dollars it was coach Boom. Sounds like his sound bite.

POLL: Who do you think said it?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Malzahn Blasted

An anonymous SEC coach gave this scorching take on Gus Malzahn in national magazine
BY JORDAN D. HILL

jhill@ledger-enquirer.com

May 25, 2018 12:07 PM

Lindy’s Sports annual college magazine typically asks SEC football coaches about the other teams in the conference and prints their responses under the condition of anonymity. When the topic of Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn came up, one coach didn’t hold back.

"Auburn is paying Gus Malzahn $50 million [Malzahn’s seven-year contract pays him $49 million], and he underachieved again," the SEC coach told Lindy’s. "If Nick Saban had Auburn's talent, he'd have won national championships the last two years. Auburn had the best front seven in college ball last year, but the offense sometimes disappears.

"If Gus would leave (offensive coordinator) Chip Lindsey alone, Auburn would be more explosive. Instead, they lost to Central Florida (in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl) and got the crap kicked out of them by Georgia in the SEC championship game after beating Georgia a few weeks before. And they give him a new contract? For what? Mediocrity?"

The Tigers beat two No. 1 teams in the 2017 season and ended the regular season with 10 victories. Auburn then ended the year with two consecutive losses, falling in the SEC Championship Game to Georgia in Atlanta 28-7 then losing in the Peach Bowl to undefeated UCF 34-27.

Auburn will try to break its Atlanta losing streak on Sept. 1 when it opens the 2018 season against Washington in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game.

I bet $50 Million dollars it was coach Boom. Sounds like his sound bite.

POLL: Who do you think said it?

What I think? That is soft as hell. At least have the balls to put your name on the quote.  Some of these men act like my high school age girls that I work with smh.

. "If Nick Saban had Auburn's talent, he'd have won national championships the last two years."  He didn't win the NC with his own talent 2 years ago. Considering that and the fact that Auburn beat them last year, we are out of excuses. No guess as to who said it, could have been several. Don't know that Gus has that many friends in the conference. 

but to be fair, this could obviously be fake "sauces" if you get my drift.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

but to be fair, this could obviously be fake "sauces" if you get my drift.

Exactly.  This isn't from a coach.

These are direct quotes from posters on AUFamily.

:beer2:

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.  This isn't from a coach.

These are direct quotes from posters on AUFamily.

:beer2:

I honestly was thinking that. Several of these claims have been made from a variety of posters and quite frankly , they aren’t too irrational. But I digress. 

20 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

"If Gus would leave (offensive coordinator) Chip Lindsey alone, Auburn would be more explosive. Instead, they lost to Central Florida (in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl) and got the crap kicked out of them by US in the SEC championship game after beating US a few weeks before. And they give him a new contract? For what? Mediocrity?"

I already stated my honest opinion about "who said it" but for kicks & giggles, I'll play along.

Simply note my edits above....

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I already stated my honest opinion about "who said it" but for kicks & giggles, I'll play along.

Simply note my edits above....

Yea... sound like something BOOM might say... I'd pen it on Bielema if he was still around. It's right out of his playbook. I doubt Kirby would say it since got a similar contract after having 1 good year and one crappy year.

I just don't get why any coach in the SEC would say anything if they believe he's under performing. They should be grateful he's hanging around and keep their mouth shut. "Mediocrity" is straight off of this site.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... sound like something BOOM might say... I'd pen it on Bielema if he was still around. It's right out of his playbook. I doubt Kirby would say it since got a similar contract after having 1 good year and one crappy year.

I just don't get why any coach in the SEC would say anything if they believe he's under performing. They should be grateful he's hanging around and keep their mouth shut. "Mediocrity" is straight off of this site.

Very true.

I honestly (for real) don't believe it's legit.

Matter of fact, we may have just unmasked a4e. ?

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly , Chip Lindsey said it.

Now THAT I would believe!

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

What I think? That is soft as hell. At least have the balls to put your name on the quote.  Some of these men act like my high school age girls that I work with smh.

no, its the truth and why my enthusiasm for football has waned and why i enjoy basketball more now

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly , Chip Lindsey said it.

I love it wow.. hahahahahahahabhahahahahahahah

7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I love it wow.. hahahahahahahabhahahahahahahah

Classic inside job.

Skimmed from this message board is my guess. Nothing there that I haven't seen here multiple times.

No SEC coach would say that, with the risk that the inevitable leaks would happen sooner rather than later.

That's a made-up quote. Any sportswriter could come up with that. Gotta sell those magazines somehow. Seriously, who buys those glossy pre-season magazines anymore?

I would say the NFL coaches and scouts would disagree with this guy. Nick Satan had four guys drafted in the first round, Auburn had four players drafted period.

Alabama had 11 players drafted overall, again, Auburn had four players drafted. He thinks Gus had more talent than Satan? Allot less talent and Gus still beat Satan by double digets!

Obviously this coach is either delirious, or just doesn’t know what he’s talking about!

Good reason not to buy Lindy's .......think they have about the poorest pre-season predictions anyway....and publishing an anonymous hit piece is the sign that they are in the death throes and looking for the print version of "click bait".  And aside from the fact that nick had about three times as many top draft picks as AU did recently, ...and over the past few years.....how does  this reliable source explain the fact that AU beat Ga and bama back to back?    I don't think any SEC coach would make those kind of comments....not even Muschamp....JMO

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

I would say the NFL coaches and scouts would disagree with this guy. Nick Satan had four guys drafted in the first round, Auburn had four players drafted period.

Alabama had 11 players drafted overall, again, Auburn had four players drafted. He thinks Gus had more talent than Satan? Allot less talent and Gus still beat Satan by double digets!

Obviously this coach is either delirious, or just doesn’t know what he’s talking about!

Well said!

Just now, bigbird said:

Whomever said it, is 100% correct. 

Prime suspect #2 

Some of the people commenting on this even bother to read the article ? Lol 

SMH.

The author said NS could win with Auburn talent .  Never said anything about Auburn having more talent than Alabama.

Gracious.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't think any SEC coach would make those kind of comments....not even Muschamp....JMO

Bielema would have, but that's partially why he's no longer an SEC coach.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't think any SEC coach would make those kind of comments....

Mullen, Boom, Pruitt, Smart, Jimbo all would've said that under the guise of anonymity

Archived