SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Big time culture issues. 

I maintain that the biggest difference between Ellis Johnson and Will Muschamp was that CEJ was too old to put up with that **** and Muschamp carried enough weight to get assurances that it wouldn't be a problem before he took the job. And, thanks to Champ, Steele hasn't had to fight that fight. 

Anyway, I'm convinced that the 2014 IB was one giant middle finger from CEJ to the PTB. 

The handling of Whitehead was very concerning if what I’ve heard/read is true. I agree, Muschamp was instrumental in the culture change. I have been very impressed by our defenses progress over the last 3 years, and just like Muschamp, I really enjoy listening to Steele’s pressers and the few pre game clips he’s been in. 

Kinda off topic, but I also wonder if Muschamp also had a hand in our offensive “regression”. Not in the since of success, but our plays per game dropped by 15-20 plays compared to other Gus offenses. Coincidence most likely, but can’t help but wonder if it was a combined effort to help protect the team from its own weaknesses.

Interestingly enough I was looking at Auburn’s offensive stats going back to 1992 and noticed that Malzahns offenses have averaged around the same plays per game as Terry Bowden’s. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

The handling of Whitehead was very concerning if what I’ve heard/read is true. I agree, Muschamp was instrumental in the culture change. I have been very impressed by our defenses progress over the last 3 years, and just like Muschamp, I really enjoy listening to Steele’s pressers and the few pre game clips he’s been in. 

Kinda off topic, but I also wonder if Muschamp also had a hand in our offensive “regression”. Not in the since of success, but our plays per game dropped by 15-20 plays compared to other Gus offenses. Coincidence most likely, but can’t help but wonder if it was a combined effort to help protect the team from its own weaknesses.

Interestingly enough I was looking at Auburn’s offensive stats going back to 1992 and noticed that Malzahns offenses have averaged around the same plays per game as Terry Bowden’s. 

I remember some rumblings back in '13-'14 that the uber-fast paced practices (that were ALL about offense) might/could be detrimental to the abilities of the Defense to effectively practice.

I'm sure Boom said "BS to that".... assuming that were the case.  ... which it could be seeing as to how pace did slow down since.

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I remember some rumblings back in '13-'14 that the uber-fast paced practices (that were ALL about offense) might/could be detrimental to the abilities of the Defense to effectively practice.

I'm sure Boom said "BS to that".... assuming that were the case.  ... which it could be seeing as to how pace did slow down since.

I've heard that this was one of his contingencies in negotiations. No boom, no Boom. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

One player should not completely derail a whole unit. It can definitely affect a team, but to completely derail a whole unit is unacceptable, especially when you do have other talented players. This is a criticism of Muschamp, Gus and Jimbo Fisher. Unless, you are all world (E.G. Jadeveon Clowney, Cam Newton, Etc) I don't want to hear that.

While I get what you are saying, at the level we are playing at, I can totally see the lose of one skilled player at any position costing games against SEC opponents. Yes, I agree the next man up should be ready to play, which hasn't happened in all situations and needs to, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable, no matter how good a coach/staff is, to have a drop in production when the next man up steps into the game and that drop causing a unit to struggle. After all, they aren't the starter for a reason, and a lot of the key starters are NFL talent, while many of the #2s aren't... or at least aren't yet.

Most extremely successful SEC teams are built around a handful of players who play at an exceptionally high level. Take away a couple of those key players and they are still a good team who can take on most other teams in the nation, but they aren't going to excel in conference.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

While I get what you are saying, at the level we are playing at, I can totally see the lose of one skilled player at any position costing games against SEC opponents. Yes, I agree the next man up should be ready to play, which hasn't happened in all situations and needs to, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable, no matter how good a coach/staff is, to have a drop in production when the next man up steps into the game and that drop causing a unit to struggle. After all, they aren't the starter for a reason, and a lot of the key starters are NFL talent, while many of the #2s aren't... or at least aren't yet.

Most extremely successful SEC teams are built around a handful of players who play at an exceptionally high level. Take away a couple of those key players and they are still a good team who can take on most other teams in the nation, but they aren't going to excel in conference.

Take away a key player and you might lose.  Take away a key player and you should not lose by 21.  That game and game prep is on Gus.  

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Take away a key player and you might lose.  Take away a key player and you should not lose by 21.  That game and game prep is on Gus.  

We kinda lost more than one player though. KJ, Carlton Davis, Davidson (or Brown can’t remember), all left at some point in the game. I want to say Matthews even got banged up too.

Also, that game was a 1 score game heading into the 4th quarter. Blocked FG and redzone fumbles were absolute killers in that game considering how much of a struggle it was to move the ball. 

8 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

We kinda lost more than one player though. KJ, Carlton Davis, Davidson (or Brown can’t remember), all left at some point in the game. I want to say Matthews even got banged up too.

Also, that game was a 1 score game heading into the 4th quarter. Blocked FG and redzone fumbles were absolute killers in that game considering how much of a struggle it was to move the ball. 

That game (SECCG, I assume, right?) was a testament to the players and (especially) defense.  They busted their buttockses despite the lack of an offensive game plan.

4 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

No doubt the entire game turned on that Stidham fumble. We were already in Carlson's range and on our way to a route. Instead, it's a quick six the other way and just like that we were playing catch-up the rest of the night. Unfortunately, KJ's fumble- well after it had been established that he shouldn't have been out there- was the nail in the coffin. 

Just wish we would've given KMart a chance. I refuse to believe that a Stidham-led offense required an all-world blocker at running back for us to score points that night. 

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't disagree with the assertion of loss of production from a star player can affect the team. What I do disagree with is this assertion that we don't have enough talent, to the point where the loss of one player can completely dismantle a whole unit to the point that they are unrecognizable.  If you are Mississippi State or Arkansas, I get it. That may very well be the case, but if you are AU, FSU, etc, etc. There is no reason the loss of one player should cause your scheme, game planning, etc to be broken. You better recruit 3 Carl Lawson's if your success is predicated on a sole player that much.

anyone can sit around and take pot shots at anybody when their identity is hidden. if it is true i would suspect d craig. were there not some issue with him and gus and maybe coach garner? to me it seems like the d line being brought up in the statement  might be a knock on their coach as well as maybe gus could not get rodney to get the boys up to the correct level. it was not long ago how folks wanted garner gone to bring rocker in. it might be a stretch but it is a conversation thread.

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No doubt the entire game turned on that Stidham fumble. We were already in Carlson's range and on our way to a route. Instead, it's a quick six the other way and just like that we were playing catch-up the rest of the night. Unfortunately, KJ's fumble- well after it had been established that he shouldn't have been out there- was the nail in the coffin. 

Just wish we would've given KMart a chance. I refuse to believe that a Stidham-led offense required an all-world blocker at running back for us to score points that night. 

I had almost forgotten how painful that was to watch...I’ll go weep in the bathroom now.

I was under the impression that people hate Drake because he's an average rapper with a big mouth and a bandwagon sports fan. Right?

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I was under the impression that people hate Drake because he's an average rapper with a big mouth and a bandwagon sports fan. Right?

That’s a pretty dumb reason to hate someone so I am going to go with No. 

Really? Being average at the only thing that brought you fame is a dumb reason to “hate” someone? Seems like damn near the only acceptable reason to be a hater. 

7 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Really? Being average at the only thing that brought you fame is a dumb reason to “hate” someone? Seems like damn near the only acceptable reason to be a hater. 

For someone who is rather fond of picking nits, you should know that the scare quotes change your message quite a bit. 

Either way, severely mistreating women ways is a good reason that a lot of people hate- not "hate"- R. Kelly and Chris Brown. Victim shaming is a reason that a lot of people hate that douchebag from Eagles of Death Metal. Just generally giving the appearance of being an entitled, culture-appropriating little prick is why a lot of people hate Justin Bieber. 

As for Drake, Pusha T just got incredibly specific about hating him. :blink:

I "hate" Luke Bryan cuz he sounds like Kermit the Frog and looks like that stick figure guy beating the dead horse in another thread but chicks dig'em anyway.  Does that count?

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I "hate" Luke Bryan cuz he sounds like Kermit the Frog and looks like that stick figure guy beating the dead horse in another thread but chicks dig'em anyway.  Does that count?

Hah! Now we're really getting to the heart of the matter.

Been listening to a podcast about the history of country music. The guy who does it spends some time explaining his perspective, and how some of the things he says might come across as him offering his opinion on an artist when he's really not, but then other times he *is* giving his opinion. His example? "When I say something about Luke Bryan, it's because I really do think his music is trash."

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hah! Now we're really getting to the heart of the matter.

Been listening to a podcast about the history of country music. The guy who does it spends some time explaining his perspective, and how some of the things he says might come across as him offering his opinion on an artist when he's really not, but then other times he *is* giving his opinion. His example? "When I say something about Luke Bryan, it's because I really do think his music is trash."

HAHA! 

I'm sure he's a nice guy and it's nothing personal.....'cept maybe some envy....

And I'll admit, some of the tunes are catchy...but ALL I hear when he opens his mouth is:

e3cf29f2a8e33d169f2ba7b95b45cd06.jpg

...sorry, guess we're full derail now....

21 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

...sorry, guess we're full derail now....

It's okay. Mikey and 64 will be grateful for any gifs or graphics that deflect away from criticism of Gus and E doesn't hang out in the football forum. *chuckle*

Now, back to Kermit.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's okay. Mikey and 64 will be grateful for any gifs or graphics that deflect away from criticism of Gus and E doesn't hang out in the football forum. *chuckle*

Now, back to Kermit.

Y'know, I DID think of 64's post earlier when it became clear the train was wobbling on the tracks and figured he, at least, wouldn't mind.  

Mikey, on the other hand?  I'm wondering if he hasn't already tracked down the coach responsible for the quote and gone all Clint Eastwood on his arse.

E, actually has been throwing down some strong gif game of his own in the baseball threads...

On 5/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, lionheartkc said:

Yea... sound like something BOOM might say... I'd pen it on Bielema if he was still around. It's right out of his playbook. I doubt Kirby would say it since got a similar contract after having 1 good year and one crappy year.

I just don't get why any coach in the SEC would say anything if they believe he's under performing. They should be grateful he's hanging around and keep their mouth shut. "Mediocrity" is straight off of this site.

It's wan't Boom. He isn't that way at all. Get fired up on practice and during games but he isn't a scumbag. 

It was Mullen. 90% sure. 

After reading Smart's comment about Auburn scheduling back to back game games at Athens to make up for 2013, he moved to the top of my list....and I figure like lots of celebrities these days, he speaks in third person uses "we" when he means "I" .

JMO but sounds like he forgot the details of the game in Auburn where his #1 ranked team got hammered... and remembered (but not very well) the game where AU was playing with a hurt RB and yet still had them on the ropes until an untimely fumble by AU seemed to turn the game around. 

Expecting that 40 points is still eating at him....defensive genius that he is.    So my vote goes to Smart....

Think it was Mullen by process of elimination. It wasn't Saban, it mentions Ga. getting beat so I don't think it was Smart. I don't think this is Muschamps personality, Beliemma is gone, and one last possibility is Fisher but I don't think so.

Archived