SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

27 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

What  I wonder about with Mullen is how he handles UF and it’s PTB/Expectations

Personally, I'd have a hell of a time trying to run my own show with the Ole Ball Coach in the office down the hall.  Randomly walking by, peeping in offensive meetings and throwing out suggestions on game prep and play selection, offering help and advice.  

“Oh yeah, I did that every week or so,” Spurrier said, “just with Nussmeier and his staff and they look at it. He’s put some of them in. He’s put a few in. I’ll walk through there and give them a play every now then, one or two plays, say ‘What’d you think about this? This was good for us.’ Sometimes they actually use them, and sometimes it’s foreign to them.”

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's wan't Boom. He isn't that way at all. Get fired up on practice and during games but he isn't a scumbag. 

It was Mullen. 90% sure. 

Yep, Boom knows what it’s like to squander a great defense by putting out a poor O.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Smh. How could you hate drake? What's wrong with you people?

I think mcguf is the only one who hates him. Well, except Pusha T. 

FWIW, I don't think an SEC Head Coach made these statements.  Could it be an asst coach, possible former AU player and AU asst coach that saw first hand how Gus mirco-managed the offense?   Someone who knows Gus is stubborn and not receptive to suggestions to alter his scheme.  Someone who has AU blood running through his veins and wants AU to excel, someone who helped recruit some of the very players on this team and boosted the talent level while he was here.  Someone who recognizes that the talent level at AU is not commiserate with the W-L record for the last few years and also realized that the '17 squad had depth and talent across the board but still managed to chalk up 4 losses. 

There's an edge to the comments this person made with a tinge of frustration/irritation.

D. Craig?

The following post is not meant to stir the pot in any way.  I am a fan of a certain former SEC coach who did a great deal for AU.  He wants the best for our team.  The statements made in the article sound exactly like something Pat Dye would say.

Comments?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Really not sure what your point is. You mentioned his record earlier but now don't want to talk about it. 

Then you wanted to talk about recruiting. As of July 2017, Rivals had MSU as the 23rd best team in the country in terms of recruiting the prior 5 years. 

Now you're talking about crappy towns out in the middle of nowhere. Out of respect for some people on this forum that I like a lot, I will not call Starkville crappy. But have you ever been there? Washington State? Starkville ain't no Pullman.

As for not making excuses for Mullen based on where he's been coaching, it's far more valid than many of the ridiculous excuses that are constantly shoveled out for Gus's many failures the last few years. Many of which have gotten this thread closer to that 100 pages mark. Go team!

Sorry ...people excusing Mullen's record because it's hard to recruit to MSU....but why is it harder than anywhere else?....  And he plays in the SEC West....so other than bama he should be able to be competitive year in and year out...and you would think he could beat some ranked teams from time to time.

I'm glad he is at UF, hope he does well ...but won't be too surprised if he's middle of the road because....:it's the freaking SEC East and he has Georgia and Tennessee and LSU every year and of course FSU"      :)    But looking at their schedule for 2018 and he should win 10 pretty easily if he has someone who can take the snaps from center and not drop the ball.  http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/57/florida-gators

15 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

This thread is a perfect example of why football season can't get here fast enough... :brickwall:

Football season gets here and then you guys will be complaining about the responses to the results . It’s a lose-lose.

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry ...people excusing Mullen's record because it's hard to recruit to MSU....but why is it harder than anywhere else?....  And he plays in the SEC West....so other than bama he should be able to be competitive year in and year out...and you would think he could beat some ranked teams from time to time.

I'm glad he is at UF, hope he does well ...but won't be too surprised if he's middle of the road because....:it's the freaking SEC East and he has Georgia and Tennessee and LSU every year and of course FSU"      :)    But looking at their schedule for 2018 and he should win 10 pretty easily if he has someone who can take the snaps from center and not drop the ball.  http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/57/florida-gators

64 you just made the most hypocritical rebuttal in the world and you don’t even realize it.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

64 you just made the most hypocritical rebuttal in the world and you don’t even realize it.

OK.....  :dunno:   if you say so.  

Sometimes I outsmart myself...:-\

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Football season gets here and then you guys will be complaining about the responses to the results . It’s a lose-lose.

Shoot! Had it here a minute ago.

Shoot! Had it here a minute ago.

15 hours ago, DAG said:

I'm so glad you took this one, my friend. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm not sure what kind of coach DM is...spent 9 years at MSU....had a couple flashes when he had DAK and could have left any time to a better job which was his choice.  MSU is no worse than dozens of Power 5 schools as far as recruiting, location or whatever.   Good coaches have a way of bringing talent to some out of the way places or unremarkable schools.  Just look at the top 25 over the past 7 or 8 years and some schools on that list that make you wonder how the coaches did it.

I have a hard time excusing his record just because of where he was.     BUT...in some ways, Cam was his ticket out of town and AU (Gus?) ended up getting Cam and making his reputation on that perhaps....Mullen thought AU cheated and likely was the source of the complaint that brought the NCAA down on us.  I doubt that a clean report by the NCAA convinced him of anything.

Florida is the chance to prove himself and I hope he does well and gives Uga and UT some things to worry about. 

In the past 4 years Gus has won 18 SEC games at Auburn.  Mullen has won 17 SEC games at MSU.  Who is the better coach getting more out of his players

23 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

In the past 4 years Gus has won 18 SEC games at Auburn.  Mullen has won 17 SEC games at MSU.  Who is the better coach getting more out of his players

NTM, Gus is only 3-2 vs Mullen as a HC...

Is this Mr. Hinnen trying to turn the topic into a geezer vs whippersnapper schism?

"But after Auburn’s Peach Bowl defeat to Central Florida, there’s more than enough Internet anger out there to assume the satisfied majority isn’t as large as it has been after other 10-win seasons."

I may chew on that some over the weekend. As to the weekend - All, may your days be merry and bright. WDE!

2006 vs. 2017: Have Auburn football fans’ expectations changed since Tuberville era? https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-2006-2017-teams-expectations-tuberville-malzahn-sec-championship

Meanwhile (over the weekend) I found "Guerry Clegg:" fail to answer "Which SEC coach took the anonymous shot at Malzahn in preseason magazine?"

but the author did seem to feel that Lindy's source may be ID'd by the bulletin-board-material nature of the article.

"I don’t know who fired the verbal shot. But if Auburn is up by three touchdowns with one second to play and Malzahn goes for two, we might just have our answer. You know what they say about karma."

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Meanwhile (over the weekend) I found "Guerry Clegg:" fail to answer "Which SEC coach took the anonymous shot at Malzahn in preseason magazine?"

but the author did seem to feel that Lindy's source may be ID'd by the bulletin-board-material nature of the article.

"I don’t know who fired the verbal shot. But if Auburn is up by three touchdowns with one second to play and Malzahn goes for two, we might just have our answer. You know what they say about karma."

So... who's leading the pitchfork mob to the writer's house for this statement?

But LSU got back in the game on a 70-yard run to set up the first touchdown, a 37-yard pass to set up the second, and a 75-yard punt return for the third LSU score. So defense and special teams were more responsible for the collapse than offensive play-calling.

Also, can we get this framed next to a picture of Gus somewhere near the stadium?

the odd bird in hand is better than the unknown bird in the bush

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If he ever comes here to discuss, I'll be his huckleberry. Otherwise, he's a tree falling in uninhabited woods. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If he ever comes here to discuss, I'll be his huckleberry. Otherwise, he's a tree falling in uninhabited woods. 

I will now and forever imagine you as Val Kilmer in a cowboy costume.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Is this Mr. Hinnen trying to turn the topic into a geezer vs whippersnapper schism?

"But after Auburn’s Peach Bowl defeat to Central Florida, there’s more than enough Internet anger out there to assume the satisfied majority isn’t as large as it has been after other 10-win seasons."

I may chew on that some over the weekend. As to the weekend - All, may your days be merry and bright. WDE!

2006 vs. 2017: Have Auburn football fans’ expectations changed since Tuberville era? https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-2006-2017-teams-expectations-tuberville-malzahn-sec-championship

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I will now and forever imagine you as Val Kilmer in a cowboy costume.

I often have people tell me that I look like a balder, uglier, pasty, out of shape Val Kilmer. Or at least that's what they say when I ask them if they think I look like Val Kilmer. So yeah basically just call me Iceman Holliday BatMorrison, I guess.  

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I often have people tell me that I look like a balder, uglier, pasty, out of shape Val Kilmer. Or at least that's what they say when I ask them if they think I look like Val Kilmer. So yeah basically just call me Iceman Holliday BatMorrison, I guess.  

I've been told that I look JUST like Val Kilmer in Top Gun.  .....but only if he looked like John Goodman as Fred Flintstone.

27 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Well.... No pitchfork here but he DOES sorta ignore the fact that the offensive shut-down left the defense out to dry.

If the offense kept up the pressure, those positive LSU plays probably don't really matter....or perhaps don't happen at all.

27 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well.... No pitchfork here but he DOES sorta ignore the fact that the offensive shut-down left the defense out to dry.

If the offense kept up the pressure, those positive LSU plays probably don't really matter....or perhaps don't happen at all.

It really doesn’t matter because at the end of the day, the collapse falls at the feet of the head coach. The head coach gets the big salary when they win, he should also take responsibility when they lose, if that is the case. I don’t understand why Auburn folks have to spin stuff all the time.

Archived