SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

25 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Well.... No pitchfork here but he DOES sorta ignore the fact that the offensive shut-down left the defense out to dry.

If the offense kept up the pressure, those positive LSU plays probably don't really matter....or perhaps don't happen at all.

Even the guys in the broadcast booth were like, "Uh, what's up with these plays?"

It's a super duper silly thing he's suggesting. But I re-read the piece and it's actually way more pro-Auburn than anything I've read from our beat writers in years. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Even the guys in the broadcast booth were like, "Uh, what's up with these plays?"

It's a super duper silly thing he's suggesting. But I re-read the piece and it's actually way more pro-Auburn than anything I've read from our beat writers in years. 

I agree.  I actually thought it used a lot of the same sunshine pumper logic we've seen here.  Conveniently forgetting certain aspects of the game to "defend" another.  @DAG is right though...  At this point it don't matter.  There's one guy being paid $49M and the buck stops with him regardless.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

But LSU got back in the game on a 70-yard run to set up the first touchdown, a 37-yard pass to set up the second, and a 75-yard punt return for the third LSU score. So defense and special teams were more responsible for the collapse than offensive play-calling.

So, it was 2 plays on defense and 1 on ST that decided the game...not the 17 straight dives on first down...

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So, it was 2 plays on defense and 1 on ST that decided the game...not the 17 straight dives on first down...

giphy.gif

The 17 straight dives did contribute, but only because the players failed to execute them. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The 17 straight dives did contribute, but only because the players failed to execute them. 

The play calling was wholly terrible.

AUBURN FIRST-DOWN CALLS vs. LSU

PLAY TYPE PLAYER YARDAGE
Pass Jarrett Stidham to Sal Cannella 7
Pass Jarrett Stidham to Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 8
Run Kerryon Johnson 4, TD
Pass Jarrett Stidham to Eli Stove Incomplete
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson -1
Run Kamryn Pettway 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 9
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Eli Stove 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kamryn Pettway 3
Run Eli Stove 4
Run Kamryn Pettway -2
Run Kerryon Johnson 6
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson -1
Pass Jarrett Stidham to Devan Barrett 0
Scramble Jarrett Stidham 11
Pass Jarrett Stidham to Will Hastings Incomplete

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

PLAY TYPE PLAYER YARDAGE
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 8
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson -1
Run Kamryn Pettway 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 9
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Eli Stove 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kamryn Pettway 3
Run Eli Stove 4
Run Kamryn Pettway -2
Run Kerryon Johnson 6
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson -1

Is averaging just under 3 yards on first down for 17 straight series a good thing? 2nd and 7+ for the entire 2nd half is what you want to have? No?

2014 IB all over again. SMDH. Stupid Ellis Johnson. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

PLAY TYPE PLAYER YARDAGE
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 8
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson -1
Run Kamryn Pettway 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 9
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Eli Stove 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kamryn Pettway 3
Run Eli Stove 4
Run Kamryn Pettway -2
Run Kerryon Johnson 6
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson -1

Wooow

5 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Curious how many of these examples AUNerd has- outside of the 2nd half of the LSU game- that happened after Lindsey moved up to the box where he had always coached before and Gus's right Hand man was had to pretend to be the OL coach for the rest of the season. 

Regardless, it's really a shame that our players couldn't execute Gus's perfect game plan against Clemson. 

This breakdown football-infuriates me. More defenders than blockers? Consistently? 

This is Derek Zoolander level dumb. Seriously, how can anyone defend this? Something happened to Gus in 2013 and I don't like it one bit. What happened to the man who changed how teams operate their offenses today? He's devolved into some football caveman banging his head into a brick wall

Many of us brought up this point many times last year and we're told that it was just poor execution.

In this case it seems to be correct. To me, a couple things happen. James was slow coming off the double team and should've picked up the MLB and Cox gets stoned at the LoS. If James picks up the MLB and Cox gets any movement on the end, then Horton fills and kicks out the OLB. Leaving Pettway one on one with a single safety.  Because of the bad blocking Pettway doesn't hit the correct hole allowing the WLB to be in on the play.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Curious how many of these examples AUNerd has- outside of the 2nd half of the LSU game- that happened after Lindsey moved up to the box where he had always coached before and Gus's right Hand man was had to pretend to be the OL coach for the rest of the season. 

Regardless, it's really a shame that our players couldn't execute Gus's perfect game plan against Clemson. 

Bet he's got plenty. He said he will go over the whole season so there's plenty of material.

On 6/4/2018 at 2:44 PM, bigbird said:

PLAY TYPE PLAYER YARDAGE
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kerryon Johnson 8
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 1
Run Kerryon Johnson -1
Run Kamryn Pettway 1
Run Kerryon Johnson 9
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Eli Stove 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 7
Run Kamryn Pettway 3
Run Eli Stove 4
Run Kamryn Pettway -2
Run Kerryon Johnson 6
Run Kerryon Johnson 3
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson 4
Run Kerryon Johnson -1

That swamp rat coaching LSU literally stood on the sidelines in awe that we'd do something like this over and over and over again.  17 straight running plays producing 50 total yrds......AU gained 64 yrds in the 2nd half, 5 punts in a row followed by 2 turnovers on downs.  

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

That swamp rat coaching LSU literally stood on the sidelines in awe that we'd do something like this over and over and over again.  17 straight running plays producing 50 total yrds......AU gained 64 yrds in the 2nd half, 5 punts in a row followed by 2 turnovers on downs.  

Seriously inexplicable.

We are so far removed from that game at this point I'm seriously wondering if I will ever get over how dumb that was. I've watched countless Auburn games over 4 coaching regimes and Gus by himself is responsible for the 2 absolute worst game plans I have ever seen in my life. I can probably extend that out to all my football watching and not limit it to just AU games. A 7-QB gameplan and a run up the gut no matter what the hell happens even though it hasn't been working? Has any coach botched a gameplan so hard? 

Pete Carroll didn't give the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the goal line -- huge brain fart in a critical moment, right?. But imagine that level of brain fart except spread out over an entire game or an entire half.

Gus feeds his brain 7-Eleven bean burritos before games.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus feeds his brain burritos before games.

I'm like a 13 year old and just had to highlight this.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Pete Carroll didn't give the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the goal line -- huge brain fart in a critical moment, right?. But imagine that level of brain fart except spread out over an entire game or an entire half.

Gus feeds his brain 7-Eleven bean burritos before games.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha but seriously that point about extrapolating the Carroll decision over an entire half or game...

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm like a 13 year old and just had to highlight this.

LOL you caught me before my edit! 

Yes, I'm much better at winning an argument several hours after it's over when my brain can think of a snippy comeback. Why do you ask? ;D

The runs on first down weren't inexplicable at all... initially.  They were actually pretty common practice as they started when we were up 20-0 and like a lot of coaches, Gus went into "run the clock" mode, which seemed logical since, to that point, Kerryon was gashing them for and average 6+ yards per carry. What is inexplicable is that the first down runs continued after Kerryon's final 7 yard run. At that point, LSU had just moved within 9 points and we were obviously struggling to get penetration. The foot should have immediately moved back to the gas peddle, but it didn't. And not only did we continue to run on 1st down, but Stidham completed a total of 2 passes for 6 yards the rest of the game (he went 2 for 12). Basically, our whole offense went cold.

The inexplicable part was the absolute lack of adjustments after Aranda shut us down completely at the start of the 3rd.  It was literally the manifestation of the definition of insanity.

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The inexplicable part was the absolute lack of adjustments after Aranda shut us down completely at the start of the 3rd.  It was literally the manifestation of the definition of insanity.

Spot on Bird.  Gus did take the blame but I just hope we NEVER see that fiasco again and I just hope Gus learned from it. If he didn't and history repeats itself this board and the Auburn fan base will go ballistic. We will see.

WDE

1 hour ago, Slammer1 said:

Spot on Bird.  Gus did take the blame but I just hope we NEVER see that fiasco again and I just hope Gus learned from it. If he didn't and history repeats itself this board and the Auburn fan base will go ballistic. We will see.

WDE

That's the thing. History WILL repeat itself like it always has... Maybe not on the level of that game but it WILL happen in at least one game.(being generous)

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Many of us brought up this point many times last year and we're told that it was just poor execution.

In this case it seems to be correct. To me, a couple things happen. James was slow coming off the double team and should've picked up the MLB and Cox gets stoned at the LoS. If James picks up the MLB and Cox gets any movement on the end, then Horton fills and kicks out the OLB. Leaving Pettway one on one with a single safety.  Because of the bad blocking Pettway doesn't hit the correct hole allowing the WLB to be in on the play.

I agree with you on that particular play, but still don't think it should have been run. I know you coach in Texas, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of those offenses count players in the box?  And, if there are 7 or more, you pass and if there are 6 or less you run?  Basically a numbers game that gives you the highest percentage of success. I know that gives the QB a lot of responsibility, so yeah...

7 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I agree with you on that particular play, but still don't think it should have been run. I know you coach in Texas, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot of those offenses count players in the box?  And, if there are 7 or more, you pass and if there are 6 or less you run?  Basically a numbers game that gives you the highest percentage of success. I know that gives the QB a lot of responsibility, so yeah...

Only issue with that is you're not going to have ideal numbers like that all the time. So to make the scenario work you'd need Peyton out there calling his own game. Also, it's our job as a defense to disguise how many and from where our defenders will be.  In that play in particular, the WLB shouldn't have even been close to the play, essentially making it a 6 man box.  

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:59 PM, boisnumber1 said:

Could NS in his fifth year of being a HC do what hes doing now? Nope. The comparison between the two is stupid. Shorty has been a D1 HC since 95. He should be better.

But,  if weeman was coaching at AU with a very unlevel playing field AGAINST him, he would run away to another school as fast as he could. Theres a reason he went to bama, wins at bama, and stays at bama. Not saying he cant coach, but he has advantages unlike any other coach except the drunk bear. Just a fact, like it or not. 

Not to mention the media pushing "saban is god".......Not saying he is not a good coach, nor will I say I dislike the way he puts the media in their place. I will say he has alot of help from the media.

He would have no help from the media

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Not to mention the media pushing "saban is god".......Not saying he is not a good coach, nor will I say I dislike the way he puts the media in their place. I will say he has alot of help from the media.

He'd have no help from the media if he didn't consistently field championship contenders.  Not one journalist or reporter would stand around waiting for him to give a comment on every piddly little thing.  The biggest sports guys in the business from espn, etc. wouldn't waste their time traveling and spending the time they do on campus analyzing his program from every angle imaginable.  Tons of NFL scouts, head coaches, asst coaches, etc wouldn't waste a day of their time in his facilities watching his players, talking to his players, talking to the players academic staff and their S&C coaches.

He'd be just another run-of-the-mill coach fielding good to decent teams, losing a few games a year, getting his teams to decent bowls, occasionally making the SECCG. 

He's not a God.  He is however, the best in the college game today.  

Archived