SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

He would have no help from the media

He'd have no help from the media if he didn't consistently field championship contenders.  Not one journalist or reporter would stand around waiting for him to give a comment on every piddly little thing.  The biggest sports guys in the business from espn, etc. wouldn't waste their time traveling and spending the time they do on campus analyzing his program from every angle imaginable.  Tons of NFL scouts, head coaches, asst coaches, etc wouldn't waste a day of their time in his facilities watching his players, talking to his players, talking to the players academic staff and their S&C coaches.

He'd be just another run-of-the-mill coach fielding good to decent teams, losing a few games a year, getting his teams to decent bowls, occasionally making the SECCG. 

He's not a God.  He is however, the best in the college game today.  

I certainly agree keesler.......for some reason it seemed the worship started early......no proof, just from memory.....which could certainly be wrong.......I can't and wont take away his accomplishments .......Just wish it were happening somewhere else.......say the Maine Black Bears for examplee?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, keesler said:

He would have no help from the media

He'd have no help from the media if he didn't consistently field championship contenders.  Not one journalist or reporter would stand around waiting for him to give a comment on every piddly little thing.  The biggest sports guys in the business from espn, etc. wouldn't waste their time traveling and spending the time they do on campus analyzing his program from every angle imaginable.  Tons of NFL scouts, head coaches, asst coaches, etc wouldn't waste a day of their time in his facilities watching his players, talking to his players, talking to the players academic staff and their S&C coaches.

He'd be just another run-of-the-mill coach fielding good to decent teams, losing a few games a year, getting his teams to decent bowls, occasionally making the SECCG. 

He's not a God.  He is however, the best in the college game today.  

So, can I distill your point in this post down to 'If Saban didn't win championships, he'd just be another run-of-the-mill coach'?  I don't think that's what you're trying to say (which is, in essence, a tautology), but that's how it reads to me.  I think the question is how did he get to the point of winning championships consistently and sustaining such a high level of competitiveness? 

I do agree that his success has led to the media fawning over him to some extent. 

I think the "in-the-box" argument is a little over-simplified. As Bird was pointing out, run plays are designed to leverage one side of the field. Even if you walk a safety down into "the box," if he's on the weak side of the formation, he shouldn't have a major impact on a strong-side run unless it's a draw or read or something that allows time for him to run down the LOS. There are times when the only thing that matters is three defenders against three or four blockers. We did that a LOT in 2013. Option one defender, block the remaining guys on the play side, seal off the back, and go. Who cares if eight guys are near the LOS? They're not all involved in the play unless we screw something up.

I agree with the general premise that simple math often dictates the success or failure of a play. I just think the number of players in-the-box is actually too inclusive. It overstates the number of guys we are actually concerned with on a given play. Some guys (like a Myles Garrett) blow up your play designs because they can pursue faster down the line or a guy like Ray Lewis who diagnoses the play faster than expected. You have to make special allowances for those guys, but generally, I'm not trying to block every guy on the field. I'm trying to block at the point of attack and get to that point faster than other players can pursue from the other parts of the field.

3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I certainly agree keesler.......for some reason it seemed the worship started early......no proof, just from memory.....which could certainly be wrong.......I can't and wont take away his accomplishments .......Just wish it were happening somewhere else.......say the Maine Black Bears for examplee?

The worship started when bama agreed to pay him nearly 4 times what any other coach made out of the gate. That immediately put him on a pedestal, and the machine took over from there to keep him on it. 

2 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I do agree that his success has led to the media fawning over him to some extent. 

At the same time, if he had the same level of success at, let's say Boise State (you know, like between 2002 and 2012), he wouldn't be getting nearly the level of respect... partially because the exact same record wouldn't bear out a single national championship outside of the Power 5, and probably even the SEC. After all, he's only gone undefeated once, and one loss is usually enough to knock most teams out of the running. And partially because bama is among the programs that are considered elite and automatically treated with more respect than others.

5 hours ago, triangletiger said:

So, can I distill your point in this post down to 'If Saban didn't win championships, he'd just be another run-of-the-mill coach'?  I don't think that's what you're trying to say (which is, in essence, a tautology), but that's how it reads to me.  I think the question is how did he get to the point of winning championships consistently and sustaining such a high level of competitiveness? 

How does Bill Belichik do it? How does Greg Poppovich do it? Have you seen the personality of those guys and how they interact with the media? There is some consistency to the madness.

He found a blue print (which includes talent, there is not a single coach in America who canwin with some sort of great talent) and found a way that works for him. I know this blue print works seeing how coaches under his tree seem to find success at other places as well. He definitely isn’t going to share that blue print to the world just like any other coach wouldn’t do. However, he does credit Bill for teaching the methods of how to run a great program. 

You know another tidbit of Saban that makes him great? He is willing to go to others to grow as a coach believe it or not.

My guess is that the source would have to be one of Saban's minions. The two who come to mind immediately are Jimbo Fisher, former OC under Saban at LSU and now HC at TAM or Jeremy Pruitt former assistant coach at Hoover High School in Birmingham and them Assistant at Alabama, DC under Fisher at FSU, DC at GA and more recently DC at Alabama and now HC at TN. I guess it could also be Smart at GA, but I figure Smart is smarter and classier than to blast an SEC coach in this nameless, faceless manner. I think Fisher is old enough to know better so that leaves Jeremy Pruitt who is a hot head and is probabably feeling his oats as a new head coach. All he did was show his ignorance. Steve Spurrier said it best when he questioned whether Saban was a great coach when as the bammers like to say he wins the National Recruiting Championship every year with a number one class. So with the best players every year for the last ten years, why hasn't he won more NC titles if he is such a great coach? Pruitt will get his payback when he goes less than 500 at TN this year. JWShewmake

On 5/27/2018 at 6:14 PM, DAG said:

He went to Bama because they gave him the best deal to get out of the NFL. Prior to him going to Bama, they were trash. He gets there and now they are on an unprecedented run. Why couldn't anyone else get these "advantages?" What happens is he has created a blueprint for success that he has perfected and people don't like it because he is a winner. You can find this in every avenue of entertainment. Same reason why people hate Drake, same reason why people hate Lebron, etc, etc. The facts are he has been successful everywhere he has been at the collegiate level, including Michigan State.  

And Gus has been an HC since 2012, much longer than Scott Frost and Kirby Smart. What's his excuse?

Let me say I believe Nick is a great coach, he also has more experience than most of not all his predecessors in the league. His process is second to none IMO. 

But what about the Chargers, suits, gun cases being thrown out, red elephant club, etc....is that all a myth? Anyway Saban has the best three deep depth in the SEC. No one can match it. Now how he builds it vs others is subject to debate. What this quote said about Auburn could be said about any coach in the SEC. Saban has dominated the league, and has also had some favorable luck along the way. He got to play in two title games when he did not even win the conference. Saban can go 11-1 with that one loss to Auburn, rest his team up and off to the playoff. This years east team was legit. Not the sacrificial lambs Saban and Auburn have played in Mizzou and UF. That repeat game in the SEC title vs UGA was tough especially coming off the physical game against Alabama the week before. Nevertheless this article is pointless imo all SEC coaches make championship level money and Gus is the only one in the West who has challenged Saban since Miles left.

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The worship started when bama agreed to pay him nearly 4 times what any other coach made out of the gate. That immediately put him on a pedestal, and the machine took over from there to keep him on it. 

Agree.  They opened the bank vault, they bought in 100%, allowed him to run his own show, they put unlimited resources at his disposal and he effectively made those facilities 1st class,  the machine allowed their head football coach to completely take over the whole operation.  He then proceeded to re-write the damn history books over a 10 yr span to the point that their ROI can't be measured.

Now, if he hadn't been able to sustain unprecedented levels of success over such a long period of time, the media would've moved on to the next big hit, the next coach wonder.  They wouldn't have the energy or enthusiasm to follow his every move and hang on every word he speaks.  Thus far, he has gone through dozens of OC/DC's, asst coaches, position coaches, players, schemes, etc. and the man still finds a way to put a championship contender on the field.  

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Agree.  They opened the bank vault, they bought in 100%, allowed him to run his own show, they put unlimited resources at his disposal and he effectively made those facilities 1st class,  the machine allowed their head football coach to completely take over the whole operation.  He then proceeded to re-write the damn history books over a 10 yr span to the point that their ROI can't be measured.

Now, if he hadn't been able to sustain unprecedented levels of success over such a long period of time, the media would've moved on to the next big hit, the next coach wonder.  They wouldn't have the energy or enthusiasm to follow his every move and hang on every word he speaks.  Thus far, he has gone through dozens of OC/DC's, asst coaches, position coaches, players, schemes, etc. and the man still finds a way to put a championship contender on the field.  

Yes... right now he owns Urban's spotlight. While Clemson has had more overall success, they are Clemson, not Ohio State, so if it weren't for the bama machine, ol Urb would be basking in the glory of the sports media love-fest. 

57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes... right now he owns Urban's spotlight. While Clemson has had more overall success, they are Clemson, not Ohio State, so if it weren't for the bama machine, ol Urb would be basking in the glory of the sports media love-fest. 

And there's your silver lining.

HEY URBAN:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

And there's your silver lining.

HEY URBAN:

giphy.gif

Oh if I could like, love, and laugh at this all at the same time...

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The media and talking heads rode Urban like a jockey on Seabiscuit back in the day - he won 2 NC's and he had the great Tim Tebow.  :puke:

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's a really great gif. I can't stop watching.

I could watch JLaw gifs all day!

On 6/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, AUsince72 said:

I could watch JLaw gifs all day!

tumblr_mnzh6bxw5m1qft49to1_250.gif

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Thank the Lord.

We came out with boots/socks that had a good amount of orange on them against Louisville in 2015 too. 

I never played football, but when I played soccer, I hated playing games while breaking in cleats. I’m sure some of the footing issues we had that day weren’t helped by the stiff boots either. 

I'm no Gustav apologist these days, but that "anonymous take" sounds almost verbatim what Danny "The Vampire" Sheridan is pushing this summer about Gus.  Not that there aren't kernels of truth to the criticism, but I'm not buying that a credible SEC head coach dropped those lines.  Maybe that bitter Stoops at Kentucky LOL.

Archived