SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

22 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

The alternate question is, could Saban have beaten Bama's talent with Auburn's talent?  I'm not so sure about that. Granted, it has only happened twice during Malzahn's HC tenure, but who else has beaten them more often during that span?

Short answer? Yes. 

The better question would be could CGM win multiple championships with NS talent?

Hugh freeze and UM have both beaten Saban twice 

Les has beaten him 3x.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Short answer? Yes. 

The better question would be could CGM win multiple championships with NS talent?

Les has beaten him 3x.

Possible, but I doubt it.

No, Gus finds ways to lose games he shouldn't along the way. See LSU, UCF last year, UGA in 2016, etc...The list is long. Would other coaches win multiple NC's with NS talent? I bet they would. 

Les hasn't beaten Saban 3x during Malzahn's HC tenure.  Freeze did do it twice though during that same span.

2 hours ago, ausburn said:

My lotto guess is Jim Donnan.  Houston Nutt and Hugh Freeze possible.

Excellent point.

Article doesn't say "current" SEC coach and Nutt certainly would say those things about Gus.

Plus, he probably does peruse message boards for info....

Qhxc.gif

14 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Kevin Steele

Best answer yet

My guess is an assistant coach. I’ve yet to meet any head coach that begrudges another HCs salary. They all know a raise for one is a raise for all over time. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Short answer? Yes. 

Les has beaten him 3x.

Love him or hate him Nic Saban can coach.  The questions on whether he could do better with Gus' talent than what Gus has done are pretty laughable.  That's not a slap in the face to Gus.  If you take out his first season and the disaster Mike Shula left him then Nic has lost 14 games.  2008-2017 he has lost 14 games.  Here we are as fans talking about who has beat him twice or not.  Saban does not need a system or one player to ride to win football games.  All you have to do is look at the QB position at Bama since 2008 to realize that Gus is not winning with the same talent.  I am not trying to be a Saban worshiper but I do respect the man for what he has accomplished, the hires he makes, and how he runs his program.  The guy has covered the field just about in everything he does from recruiting, players drafted, Championships etc.  I am probably the lone ranger here with this next opinion but I think Dan Mullen would have done more with Auburn's talent.  Not knocking Gus or saying he is horrible but I think we have underachieved.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Love him or hate him Nic Saban can coach.  The questions on whether he could do better with Gus' talent than what Gus has done are pretty laughable.  That's not a slap in the face to Gus.  If you take out his first season and the disaster Mike Shula left him then Nic has lost 14 games.  2008-2017 he has lost 14 games.  Here we are as fans talking about who has beat him twice or not.  Saban does not need a system or one player to ride to win football games.  All you have to do is look at the QB position at Bama since 2008 to realize that Gus is not winning with the same talent.  I am not trying to be a Saban worshiper but I do respect the man for what he has accomplished, the hires he makes, and how he runs his program.  The guy has covered the field just about in everything he does from recruiting, players drafted, Championships etc.  I am probably the lone ranger here with this next opinion but I think Dan Mullen would have done more with Auburn's talent.  Not knocking Gus or saying he is horrible but I think we have underachieved.

Yes, he can. He is also a superior game manager, talent recognizer (and certainly acquirer), and CEO of a program than Gus.  The issue is, that he's had superior talent in 98% of the games he's coached in the last 10 years.  I'm saying he doesn't necessarily beat a team of Bama's talent level, if given the talent level Auburn had in those victories in both 2013 and last year. Granted, our DL wasn't far off from Bama's, last season. Now that doesn't mean he wouldn't, but it's not a slam dunk that he would.  What he doesn't do often, is lose to less talented teams. 

I'm no big fan of Saban either, but the one thing I'll give him kudos for over many other coaches, is his ability to adapt to the game, and the offense to the skill set/style of QB. IMO, we have done a poor job of that in recent years. 

I agree, even though I really dislike Mullen, I believe he may have fared better with Malzahn's talent level, as I think a few other coaches would have. 

34 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I'll leave the saban stuff aside as I've posted often my lack of being impressed by someone cheating at will with the warmth and protection of his NCAA cronies....

But with regards to Mullen, I agree.  I can't stand him as I think he played a large role in the Cam garbage, but what he did at MSU (to me) is far more impressive than anything saban has done at bammer.

Matter of fact, within the next couple seasons, I think the SEC East might finally have a titan again in Florida.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll leave the saban stuff aside as I've posted often my lack of being impressed by someone cheating at will with the warmth and protection of his NCAA cronies....

But with regards to Mullen, I agree.  I can't stand him as I think he played a large role in the Cam garbage, but what he did at MSU (to me) is far more impressive than anything saban has done at bammer.

Matter of fact, within the next couple seasons, I think the SEC East might finally have a titan again in Florida.

I wholeheartedly agree.  People are going to see what that troll can do with talent at UF.  I hope he has huge success against UGA while he is there.

4 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Possible, but I doubt it.

No, Gus finds ways to lose games he shouldn't along the way. See LSU, UCF last year, UGA in 2016, etc...The list is long. Would other coaches win multiple NC's with NS talent? I bet they would. 

Les hasn't beaten Saban 3x during Malzahn's HC tenure.  Freeze did do it twice though during that same span.

Sorry I misread your question . Nevertheless, I agree with your sentiments .

I'd say Jimbo if I had to guess.

Otherwise, made up by a reporter.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'd say Jimbo if I had to guess.

Otherwise, made up by a reporter.

I just don’t see why Jimbo would care what someone else is making when he just got an excessive contract after having a losing season. 

This seems to be the talking of someone who is envious and not getting what Gus got.

8 hours ago, ausburn said:

My lotto guess is Jim Donnan.  Houston Nutt and Hugh Freeze possible.

Freeze and Gus are friends. No way it’s him.

Actually, I think his (Freeze’s) daughter is enrolling at Auburn next semester. I guarantee Kristi will be taking care of her. 

1 hour ago, AidiAU said:

Freeze and Gus are friends. No way it’s him.

Actually, I think his (Freeze’s) daughter is enrolling at Auburn next semester. I guarantee Kristi will be taking care of her. 

https://twitter.com/freezemadison/status/913492176868343814

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I just don’t see why Jimbo would care what someone else is making when he just got an excessive contract after having a losing season. 

This seems to be the talking of someone who is envious and not getting what Gus got.

Yeah, I don't see Jimbo following AU enough the past couple years to really go there with the CCL comment.

Maybe a former defensive coordinator, now SEC East HC, who had his ass handed to him last season only to watch the same offense that did it look like garbage the next two games?  Sour grapes quote perhaps?

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Short answer? Yes. 

Les has beaten him 3x.

Could NS in his fifth year of being a HC do what hes doing now? Nope. The comparison between the two is stupid. Shorty has been a D1 HC since 95. He should be better.

But,  if weeman was coaching at AU with a very unlevel playing field AGAINST him, he would run away to another school as fast as he could. Theres a reason he went to bama, wins at bama, and stays at bama. Not saying he cant coach, but he has advantages unlike any other coach except the drunk bear. Just a fact, like it or not. 

27 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Could NS in his fifth year of being a HC do what hes doing now? Nope. The comparison between the two is stupid. Shorty has been a D1 HC since 95. He should be better.

But,  if weeman was coaching at AU with a very unlevel playing field AGAINST him, he would run away to another school as fast as he could. Theres a reason he went to bama, wins at bama, and stays at bama. Not saying he cant coach, but he has advantages unlike any other coach except the drunk bear. Just a fact, like it or not. 

He went to Bama because they gave him the best deal to get out of the NFL. Prior to him going to Bama, they were trash. He gets there and now they are on an unprecedented run. Why couldn't anyone else get these "advantages?" What happens is he has created a blueprint for success that he has perfected and people don't like it because he is a winner. You can find this in every avenue of entertainment. Same reason why people hate Drake, same reason why people hate Lebron, etc, etc. The facts are he has been successful everywhere he has been at the collegiate level, including Michigan State.  

And Gus has been an HC since 2012, much longer than Scott Frost and Kirby Smart. What's his excuse?

A simple butt hurt article with input from a butt hurt coach. Very low level amateurish journalism in my opinion. But the author is a Georgia grad i wouldn't expect anything  more than an article of this level.

With all due respect, he did only have the one good year at MSU, with several 6-7 win seasons, which is what they were achieving both prior to and after Saban.   He really didn't get to the next level until he had the talent level coming in at LSU and then Bama. He was mediocre with the Dolphins at best, when he was hampered by the salary cap.

Now, he has during his tenure become the undisputed CEO of college sports.  Part of that, and we can debate just how much, is the level of talent he is able to bring in.  I believe several coaches, if given that talent disparity year on year, would be incredibly successful and have won multiple NC's in the process. I don't necessarily believe they would have won as many, but I bet there would have been multiple.  In what era have we ever seen one institution pull in the top recruiting class almost every single year for a 10+ year span? The worst they've ever been is still in top 5 since his arrival.  In most years, it hasn't even been close.  Heck, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems that I remember for the last 5 or more years, they've gotten like at least twice the ESPN top 300 players of anyone else in the SEC (the next probably being LSU or UGA), 3x as many as Auburn, and more than 4-5+x as many as most everyone else.  I'd take those odds, wouldn't you?  

Regardless, you cannot deny he is winning at an unprecedented rate with that talent, and they rarely if ever really get blown out. They are always fundamentally sound, and believe it or not, actually prepared to play that first game of the season. Something, that for the life me,  seems to absolutely confound Malzahn. 

10 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Agree with what you said, but another thing to consider is Nick Saban had been a head coach at multiple places before he landed at Alabama.  So he had experience.  And if you look at the early stages of his head coaching career, he didn’t do that well.  It took time, just like we are seeing with Malzahn.  Gus is slowly making the changes we wanted to see.  I bet we might see Pruitt do the same.  

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

They are always fundamentally sound, and believe it or not, actually prepared to play that first game of the season. Something, that for the life me,  seems to absolutely confound Malzahn. 

This has been a concern of mine throughout his tenure at Auburn.  

But my opinion does not matter, as I don't pay his over-inflated salary.  No football coach is worth that kind of money.

I don't want to get another NS argument. I have addressed several points about him in other threads. What I will say is this.: 2014, 2015 and 2017 Top to bottom had more than enough talent top to bottom to run the table. All three of the teams lost games they had no business losing. Multiple games. I am really sick of hearing how many advantages other schools have and how much of a disadvantage we are in. It is such a loser's mentality in my eyes.

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't want to get another NS argument. I have addressed several points about him in other threads. What I will say is this.: 2014, 2015 and 2017 Top to bottom had more than enough talent top to bottom to run the table. All three of the teams lost games they had no business losing. Multiple games. I am really sick of hearing how many advantages other schools have and how much of a disadvantage we are in. It is such a loser's mentality in my eyes.

Preach

7 hours ago, DAG said:

I disagree with 2014 and 2015. Offensively we had the firepower in 2014, but our defense had issues. Especially in 2014. Hell even with 2017, we moved on from Hand who did nothing for our OL.

2017 was easily Auburn’s most complete team since Malzahns been here and it showed. 5 SEC wins of 21+ points and defeated both rivals by 2 plus scores. Personally I was more upset with the UCF loss than the SECCG loss. We were missing KJ and Pettway for the SECCG, hard to replace that kind of production. Now, I will say that it would’ve been nice if we could’ve sat KJ and used Martin more, but part of me wonders how UGA would’ve fared if they had to face a healthy Aub without Chubb and Michele as banged up as KJ was.

Either way, I think it is a moot point to even argue about Malzahn. For better or for worse, his current contract has increased expectations high enough that he will be fired for 8 win seasons in the next few years if that’s all we do. 

On 5/27/2018 at 7:34 AM, ausburn said:

Houston Nutt 

Best guess I’ve heard so far (if there is even any legitimacy to this at all)

Very, very few people on the planet are stupid enough to make the statement “If NS had GM’s talent.....” and most of them are AUFamily members.  

Archived