SEC Coach Blasts Malzahn

WDE_OxPx_2010

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Prior to him going to Bama, they were trash

Only during the period when they were hung up on the idea that their HC had to be one of the Bear's boys .....which took them a while to get over....yet they had some good years in between too.    It does surprise me how a coach with so many future NFL players manages to lose games to lesser talented teams like OM, AU and LSU. Nobody wins them all of course....but NS does not seem to get more out of his talent than other coaches.  JMO

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I disagree with 2014 and 2015. Offensively we had the firepower in 2014, but our defense had issues. Especially in 2014. Hell even with 2017, we moved on from Hand who did nothing for our OL.

2017 was easily Auburn’s most complete team since Malzahns been here and it showed. 5 SEC wins of 21+ points and defeated both rivals by 2 plus scores. Personally I was more upset with the UCF loss than the SECCG loss. We were missing KJ and Pettway for the SECCG, hard to replace that kind of production. Now, I will say that it would’ve been nice if we could’ve sat KJ and used Martin more, but part of me wonders how UGA would’ve fared if they had to face a healthy Aub without Chubb and Michele as banged up as KJ was.

Either way, I think it is a moot point to even argue about Malzahn. For better or for worse, his current contract has increased expectations high enough that he will be fired for 8 win seasons in the next few years if that’s all we do. 

Our defense had coaching issues not a talent issue. That’s the difference. Well that’s on the HC. What you are speaking about is coaching issues. The guys we recruited in 2014 and 2015 on both sides of the ball were very much talented. From top to bottom was Mississippi State better than us in 2014 and 2015? 2012 we had one of the worst statistically fielded teams and then 2013 comes and we win the SEC championship with arguably 90-95 percent of the same people. How does that happen? Auburn fans don’t want to acknowledge that , but the fact is CGM has recruited dang good enough to always be in it at the end every year. 

In 2014, we were ranked #3 going into ole miss. We beat them. We controlled our own destiny . Even after Mississippi State, the committee gave us the benefit of a doubt. Why? Because we had talent. Then we lose to Texas A&M and their freshman QB and the rest is history.

Or are we forgetting that in 2015 , the media and a lot of folks had us not only winning the SEC , but playing in the NC game. In 2015 and 2016 our offense had issues. That doesn’t mean we didn’t have talent on that side of the ball. 

Whoever this person in this article directly points to that. We have MORE than enough talent to run the table. You just said last years team was the most complete team we ever had and we ended up losing 4 games. That doesn’t make any sense.

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Only during the period when they were hung up on the idea that their HC had to be one of the Bear's boys .....which took them a while to get over....yet they had some good years in between too.    It does surprise me how a coach with so many future NFL players manages to lose games to lesser talented teams like OM, AU and LSU. Nobody wins them all of course....but NS does not seem to get more out of his talent than other coaches.  JMO

UCF, Arkansas , Wisconsin, Mississippi State. You aren’t going to win every game. That’s impossible , but you need to consistently field a competitive team if you are getting top ten talent. NS is not some Demi-God. He can be beat. LeBron James is the best player in basketball, but he can beat. He should’ve been beaten last night , but you got to come correct when you are playing them. The constant excuses need to stop because if we are basing this on talent alone then I have to ask why are we losing some of these games.

Honestly , to be real, since the Gene Chizik years we were recruiting in the top ten post Cam Newton. At the very least top 15.  Auburn has had more than enough talent. 

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly , to be real, since the Gene Chizik years we were recruiting in the top ten post Cam Newton. At the very least top 15.  Auburn has had more than enough talent. 

JMO but our talent and recruiting level is pretty consistent with our performance on the field...which is more than a few other top 10 recruiting schools like USC and ND can say.     We've typically been in the upper half of the SEC in recruiting if I recall correctly...typically forth or fifth usually behind bama, LSU, sometimes Tenn and Uga or  maybe TAMU .... never been above 3rd. ..so theoretically at least 3 or 4 SEC teams have more talent than AU every year if the rankings mean anything. :dunno:

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2017/sec/football

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but our talent and recruiting level is pretty consistent with our performance on the field...which is more than a few other top 10 recruiting schools like USC and ND can say.     We've typically been in the upper half of the SEC in recruiting if I recall correctly...typically forth or fifth usually behind bama, LSU, sometimes Tenn and Uga or  maybe TAMU .... never been above 3rd. ..so theoretically at least 3 or 4 SEC teams have more talent than AU every year if the rankings mean anything. :dunno:

Then that’s coaching. If you can’t win consistently against teams as equally talented as yourself then you have to look at the man in the mirror. Another thing is this too. If you are in spots let’s say 3-7 in recruiting. Typically , there isn’t a huge difference in talent. Like Clemson owns us and their really isn’t a huge difference in talent. One player might be all world , but as a whole, the talent isn’t a huge gap. The only teams you can say that for is tOSU and Alabama. They have fundamentally recruited incredibly throughout their coaches tenure. UGA last year had an incredibly class, but more times than not , there isn’t a huge gap between team number 7 and team number 9 or 10 in the recruiting rankings. That doesn’t work with me.

For example look at Tennessee. They are right behind us in your link but they have 7 more freaking recruits than we do. And most of them are 3 stars. You got to take things like that in account.

we are talking 3 tenths of a difference here man. That is not a huge gap. I recommend going all the way back to 2013 and look at some of those rankings.  We are higher in some years and others we aren’t but it’s not like we are Arkansas in the mix. 

16 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Could NS in his fifth year of being a HC do what hes doing now? Nope. The comparison between the two is stupid. Shorty has been a D1 HC since 95. He should be better.

But,  if weeman was coaching at AU with a very unlevel playing field AGAINST him, he would run away to another school as fast as he could. Theres a reason he went to bama, wins at bama, and stays at bama. Not saying he cant coach, but he has advantages unlike any other coach except the drunk bear. Just a fact, like it or not. 

We are not comparing what Nic did in year 5 at MSU to Gus at Auburn.  That is the equivalent of comparing what someone at Purdue did compared to Florida.  The statement was made that Saban would have won a title in the last two years with Auburn's talent. 

16 hours ago, DAG said:

He went to Bama because they gave him the best deal to get out of the NFL. Prior to him going to Bama, they were trash. He gets there and now they are on an unprecedented run. Why couldn't anyone else get these "advantages?" What happens is he has created a blueprint for success that he has perfected and people don't like it because he is a winner. You can find this in every avenue of entertainment. Same reason why people hate Drake, same reason why people hate Lebron, etc, etc. The facts are he has been successful everywhere he has been at the collegiate level, including Michigan State.  

And Gus has been an HC since 2012, much longer than Scott Frost and Kirby Smart. What's his excuse?

Exactly!  If Bama has all of these built in ways to cheat and hidden advantages then why could Mike Shula, one of their own, not take advantage of them.  Bama was horrible when Saban got there.  Yes, some of that may have been due to NCAA infractions still lingering some but they were basically an Ole Miss while he was there.  DAG is correct in the fact that he has a blueprint for success.  If you want proof then watch what Kirby does at UGAG.  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not only that, we play most of those teams every single year....Bama, LSU, UGA, A&M, etc...It's the years when we have better teams and still find ways to lose that bother me. 

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Not only that, we play most of those teams every single year....Bama, LSU, UGA, A&M, etc...It's the years when we have better teams and still find ways to lose that bother me. 

Or they have better talent and we find ways to beat them......might want to try and remember those too.  ...some of which occurred not that long ago...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Or they have better talent and we find ways to beat them......might want to try and remember those too.  ...some of which occurred not that long ago...

Yes that happens too. It's an odd thing they are coupled together.  We can lose to lesser teams and can occasionally beat better teams. It's a roller coaster ride.

Most of the posters on this board have a decent, if not really good to great, football IQ.

Nobody who's been critical of Gus the last couple+ seasons (not counting the ones who obviously just hate him or have some personal vendetta against him) are saying that Auburn should win every game.

Upsets, both good and bad, are part of football.  Sometimes the other team IS better.  Sometimes the other team just wants it more, for whatever reason.  Sometimes luck just ain't on your side.  We get it and are good with that.  Most of Auburn's losses the past 3 seasons have not been for these reasons. 

When Gus is on, he's as good as any coach in the business.  But 2, 3, 4 times per year, he's also the worst coach in the business.  If he can simply change "worst" to maybe just "not the best" then this team is capable of never losing more than 1-2 games per year.  When you have that type of consistency, you win championships.

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

When Gus is on, he's as good as any coach in the business.  But 2, 3, 4 times per year, he's also the worst coach in the business

Not sure that can be stated any clearer. Well said. 

21 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Not sure that can be stated any clearer. Well said. 

39 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Most of the posters on this board have a decent, if not really good to great, football IQ.

Nobody who's been critical of Gus the last couple+ seasons (not counting the ones who obviously just hate him or have some personal vendetta against him) are saying that Auburn should win every game.

Upsets, both good and bad, are part of football.  Sometimes the other team IS better.  Sometimes the other team just wants it more, for whatever reason.  Sometimes luck just ain't on your side.  We get it and are good with that.  Most of Auburn's losses the past 3 seasons have not been for these reasons. 

When Gus is on, he's as good as any coach in the business.  But 2, 3, 4 times per year, he's also the worst coach in the business.  If he can simply change "worst" to maybe just "not the best" then this team is capable of never losing more than 1-2 games per year.  When you have that type of consistency, you win championships.

You both have pretty much stated that as rational as possible. I am just on edge at the moment haha.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

You both have pretty much stated that as rational as possible. I am just on edge at the moment haha.

Don’t let go!  

D3CC57F1-5BCE-4395-A1FD-90EAA10BD53C.gif

7 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Exactly!  If Bama has all of these built in ways to cheat and hidden advantages then why could Mike Shula, one of their own, not take advantage of them.  Bama was horrible when Saban got there.  Yes, some of that may have been due to NCAA infractions still lingering some but they were basically an Ole Miss while he was there.  DAG is correct in the fact that he has a blueprint for success.  If you want proof then watch what Kirby does at UGAG.  

Bama has built-in advantages above any cheating that may be going on. The advantages they have are Crystal and silver plated trophies, gold rings whether mythical or earned and Day 1 NFL draft choices. Saban is a relentless, control freak and the combination of the two is a perfect storm. Mike Shula was naive and nice with no intimidation factor. Saban, like Bear did, prepares his team and intimidates them, the refs and the opponent in most cases. Losing doesn't cross their minds. I don't think Gus is the least bit intimidated by him though. The only thing that Gus has to fear is Gus himself. He outcoaches himself is those ridiculous losses we have seen. For the love of all things orange and blue I pray that he has turned the corner this season. 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Our defense had coaching issues not a talent issue. That’s the difference. Well that’s on the HC. What you are speaking about is coaching issues. The guys we recruited in 2014 and 2015 on both sides of the ball were very much talented. From top to bottom was Mississippi State better than us in 2014 and 2015? 2012 we had one of the worst statistically fielded teams and then 2013 comes and we win the SEC championship with arguably 90-95 percent of the same people. How does that happen? Auburn fans don’t want to acknowledge that , but the fact is CGM has recruited dang good enough to always be in it at the end every year. 

In 2014, we were ranked #3 going into ole miss. We beat them. We controlled our own destiny . Even after Mississippi State, the committee gave us the benefit of a doubt. Why? Because we had talent. Then we lose to Texas A&M and their freshman QB and the rest is history.

Or are we forgetting that in 2015 , the media and a lot of folks had us not only winning the SEC , but playing in the NC game. In 2015 and 2016 our offense had issues. That doesn’t mean we didn’t have talent on that side of the ball. 

Whoever this person in this article directly points to that. We have MORE than enough talent to run the table. You just said last years team was the most complete team we ever had and we ended up losing 4 games. That doesn’t make any sense.

"You just said last years team was the most complete team we ever had " Reread his post he did not say that. He said it is MALZAHN's most complete team.

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

"You just said last years team was the most complete team we ever had " Reread his post he did not say that. He said it is MALZAHN's most complete team.

And that changes the message HOW? If it is MALZAHN’s most complete team how the heck were they a four loss squad? 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

And that changes the message HOW? If it is MALZAHN’s most complete team how the heck were they a four loss squad? 

Not really wanting to jump into the debate as this has been discussed at length before and most likely will again in the future until Fall camp starts, but my two cents: LSU was a tough one to swallow, Clemson was tough but Stidham was still shaking off the rust and the O-Line was zero help.  The SEC Champsionahip just about every key player was injured against a fully healthy UGA team.  Our first two RB’s, QB, CB, LB, and safety were all injured.  The Chick-Fil-A bowl was also another tough one, and can be pointed to coaching but that happens to the best of coaches after the prior loss.  Since people have referenced Saban in this thread, his team did the same against Michigan State in their bowl game a few years back.

I think both sides make a good point, including yours.  I think things like this though are more grey than clear cut black/white when looking for an answer to these questions.  

I'd like to see us for the first time in recent memory, actually show up fully prepared for the big opener, at least offensively speaking.  Our D has been ready the last 2 years and played quite well. 

I know Peterson will have his squad ready to go. We'll just have to wait and watch how it unfolds. 

22 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but our talent and recruiting level is pretty consistent with our performance on the field...

20 point lead surrendered in Red Stick. 11 sacks given up and less than 120 yards of total offense against Clemson. Lost to UCF. Only scored 7 points in the SECCG. 

Our talent and recruiting level is consistent with our W-L record because of our schedule. It is absolutely not consistent with how we have gone about losing the last several years. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

20 point lead surrendered in Red Stick. 11 sacks given up and less than 120 yards of total offense against Clemson. Lost to UCF. Only scored 7 points in the SECCG. 

Our talent and recruiting level is consistent with our W-L record because of our schedule. It is absolutely not consistent with how we have gone about losing the last several years. 

Exactly my point previous.  It's not about losing a tough game.  It's about HOW they lose very winnable games.  In at least one case where simply staying the course (LSU) and they win by 30+.  But Gus decided to fix what wasn't broke.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

My money is on Pruitt or Jimbo.  That being said has anyone taken the time to read Lindey's?   All the coaches comments are pretty negative this year.   And yes, Gus under achieved.

50 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly my point previous.  It's not about losing a tough game.  It's about HOW they lose very winnable games.  In at least one case where simply staying the course (LSU) and they win by 30+.  But Gus decided to fix what wasn't broke.

Don't fix what ain't broken.

Yes.  I don't get worked up when we play and coach to our ability and we lose.  I'm good with that.  I get bent out of shape when we lose games we had no business losing and when we look like we have no idea of how to make adjustments during a game.  My biggest complaint is that there are too many times we go into a game where what we are doing is not working and we have no answer.   We just keep running the same thing over and over again until the defense has been abandoned with no air support.

And let me be clear.  This isn't a problem that starts with Gus.  We have gotten whipped and looked like we ate marshmallows all week before Gus came here.  It just happens too often now.  I still have the curb stomp arse whoopin' etched in my mind where Texas A&M and Jackie Sherrill took Pat Dye with Bo Jackson to the woodshed.  I think it was 36-16 and it did not look that close.  But those type of performances were not as common as they are now.

16 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yes.  I don't get worked up when we play and coach to our ability and we lose.  I'm good with that.  I get bent out of shape when we lose games we had no business losing and when we look like we have no idea of how to make adjustments during a game.  My biggest complaint is that there are too many times we go into a game where what we are doing is not working and we have no answer.   We just keep running the same thing over and over again until the defense has been abandoned with no air support.

And let me be clear.  This isn't a problem that starts with Gus.  We have gotten whipped and looked like we ate marshmallows all week before Gus came here.  It just happens too often now.  I still have the curb stomp arse whoopin' etched in my mind where Texas A&M and Jackie Sherrill took Pat Dye with Bo Jackson to the woodshed.  I think it was 36-16 and it did not look that close.  But those type of performances were not as common as they are now.

You've been warned, gang. If you see the #marshmallows hashtag, it's not a good fall Saturday.

Archived