Coach Adler is leaving the program.

GwillMac6

May 25, 2018

AUBURN, Ala. – Auburn assistant basketball coach Harris Adler is leaving the program to work in his family’s business as a licensed pharmacist. The Philadelphia, Pa. native has decided to return home and continue his career choice from 20 years ago.

“I appreciate the contributions that Harris has made to bring credibility and excellence to Auburn’s basketball program,” head coach Bruce Pearl said. “Harris has always cared about the student-athletes first and foremost. Together in 2009, we won a gold medal in Israel coaching the USA team and in 2018 we won the SEC Championship. I wish Harris and his family happiness and success.”

Adler spent the past four seasons with the Tigers and helped guide one of the most prolific rebuilds in the country. During that time, Adler was part of 70 wins, including 26 during Auburn’s run to its third conference crown in program history this past season. The Tigers reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2003.

“Twenty years ago, I left the pharmacy profession to pursue a career as a basketball coach,” Adler said. “For the last 20 years, I have spent countless hours and energy building and fostering relationships in the game of basketball. The game has taken me across the world and given me many memorable lifetime experiences. I am proud of the accomplishments I have made in reaching the NCAA Tournament four times with four different schools along with this past year helping Auburn win the SEC Championship and return to the NCAA Tournament.

“It has been a privilege and an honor to work for so many great head coaches and to be surrounded by other staff members who continually sacrifice their time and effort to ensure the success of all of the student-athletes that we mentored. Throughout this journey, I have built lasting relationships with many student-athletes and coaches that I will always cherish.

“Throughout life, my family has always been very important to me, and after much reflection, I have made the decision to return home to Philadelphia to be close to my mom as she continues her battle with Stage IV ovarian cancer and afford my sons the opportunity to grow up surrounded by our extended family. My wife, children and parents have made countless sacrifices for me over the years so that I could be a basketball coach, and now it’s time for me to go back to my Philadelphia roots, work in the family business as a pharmacist and be a mentor and coach at home.” 

Sounds like he made a good choice for the right reasons.  Hope all goes well for him......but it's likely to be a boring life after what it was like being part of our program for the past few years. 

Guess he kept his pharmacy licence current while at AU. I assume the family pharmacy business is independent. That can be very rough these days going against the chains. Best of luck to him

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Guess he kept his pharmacy licence current while at AU. I assume the family pharmacy business is independent. That can be very rough these days going against the chains. Best of luck to him

His family business may not be retail but a provider to long term care or assisted living markets.  It sounds like with his parents getting older and mother having cancer that his family business needs the help.  I am familiar with the fact that older parents are needing help.  It is the reason that I ended up where I am at.

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

His family business may not be retail but a provider to long term care or assisted living markets.  It sounds like with his parents getting older and mother having cancer that his family business needs the help.  I am familiar with the fact that older parents are needing help.  It is the reason that I ended up where I am at.

Completely understandable and worthy admire him for doing it. Says a lot about his/your character as well

Archived