UGA DB Tray Bishop arrested

AlaskanFAN

https://georgia.247sports.com/Article/Tray-Bishop-arrested-on-felony-charges-118532249

Tray Bishop arrested on felony charges

A promising Georgia football player has run into some legal problems. Redshirt freshman defensive back Tray Bishop was arrested earlier this week on charges of felony eavesdropping/surveillance.

Bishop, from Dawson, Ga., was booked into Athens-Clark County on Wednesday at 12:25 p.m. and released at 1:22 p.m. after $5,700 bond was posted for bail.

A female UGA student made a complaint on April 28, telling the police that Bishop recorded a sex act without her permission on Nov. 5, 2017, which was the day after Georgia hosted South Carolina for football. Georgia has been made aware of the incident, but no decision has been made on Bishop's future at Georgia.

According to the report, the alleged victim learned of the video via her roommate and who claimed that Bishop "was going around showing people" the tape.

“Certainly it’s disappointing when a player or any other young person under our charge is arrested, and we don’t condone any illegal or improper behavior,” Georgia coach Kirby Smartsaid Friday, via a team spokesperson. “That being said, university policies are being followed. We are investigating the matter and it’s important that we gather all information relevant to the situation before we determine what policies may come into play. Then we can take appropriate action if necessary.”

While Bishop did not see playing time last season, he was expected to be in the mix for snaps in the secondary this fall after making three tackles in the G-Day spring scrimmage in April. A former U.S. Army All-American, Bishop committed to Georgia after de-committing from Auburn in December 2016. A former high school quarterback for Dawson (Ga.) Terrell County, the 6-foot-3, 193-pound player was transitioning to full-time safety.

Georgia lost three starters in the secondary to graduation, Dominick SandersMalkom Parrish, and Aaron DavisDeandre Bakerreturns at cornerback, J.R. Reed returns at safety, with several players competing for the other three spots. Bishop was competing against Latavious Brini for snaps behind Richard LeCounte III at right safety, with true freshman Nadab Joseph expected to push all three upon his arrival next month.

Our depth at safety is a very serious concern," Smart said in March when discussing Bishop and Brini. "They are part of that depth. They’re not ready to play yet. I don’t necessarily think they should be ready to play but they should be on their way because where they were unique last year, you didn’t see them play but they took a ton of reps in practice. The growth hasn’t been what I want to see out of he and Brini. So I challenge them every day, ‘are you going to get where we can trust you to put you in the game? Because you are one play away,” and we’re not where we need to be there.”

104COMMENTS

"Bishop and Brini both, those are two guys I challenge every day," Smart said. "If you go ask them, I know y’all don’t talk to those guys, but they probably wouldn’t like me right now because I’m riding them."

The Bulldogs return 13 starters, eight on offense and five on defense, tied for sixth-most returning starters in the SEC, from a team that went 13-2 with an SEC Championship, win the Rose Bowl, and an appearance in the College Football Playoff National Championship. The Bulldogs will take on FCS opponent Austin Peay at home in Sanford Stadium in the season opener on Sept. 1.

• WarTiger changed the title to UGA DB Tray Bishop arrested

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Kirby sounds so.....sabanish. 

Surprised? At least this situation will be easy to prove thanks to video and multiple 3rd parties being involved, at least according to the complaint. Once the truth is established, we'll see how far the apple fell from the tree and how quickly he has built his version of the machine.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Surprised? At least this situation will be easy to prove thanks to video and multiple 3rd parties being involved, at least according to the complaint. Once the truth is established, we'll see how far the apple fell from the tree and how quickly he has built his version of the machine.

Not surprised at all. Just an observation.

10 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Glad he decommited from us! TBH,  I don't even remember him..

WOW. They just had to throw our name in there. Bless their hearts. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

WOW. They just had to throw our name in there. Bless their hearts. 

SEC sports "journalism" 101. It's not a story if there isn't some kind of back-handed implication that Auburn is crooked. 

SEC sports "journalism" 101. It's not a story if there isn't some kind of back-handed implication that Auburn is crooked. 

That's so infuriating....

Sorry, I don't see the implication.  The writer was simply stating the history of Bishop.  I do not like most SEC writers and admit that many do take every opportunity to degrade Auburn, but in this case I don't see that. 

11 hours ago, around4ever said:

Sorry, I don't see the implication.  The writer was simply stating the history of Bishop.  I do not like most SEC writers and admit that many do take every opportunity to degrade Auburn, but in this case I don't see that. 

The fact that he was ever committed to Auburn has absolutely no relevance to the story or the player's history as it pertains to his role and identity as a uga player. None. Maybe he was asked to hit a minimum word count for the piece? Only excuse.

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

The implication is attaching Auburn's name to a story about a kid getting busted. There was absolutely no value added to the story by bringing that up. If it was common to list the schools a kid didn't sign with, or even schools they flipped from when writing stories about them long after they signed elsewhere, it would be one thing, but it's not. It pretty much only happens when it give them the opportunity to bring up Auburn in a negative situation.

If he had helped 100 old ladies across the street and got publicity for that I guarantee they wouldn't have mentioned he had committed to AU.

47 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If he had helped 100 old ladies across the street and got publicity for that I guarantee they wouldn't have mentioned he had committed to AU.

That's an excellent way to say it.

Archived