NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

11 hours ago, eulessau said:

So the original regional pairing holds no matter what happens?  In other words, Raleigh regional against Gainesville regional?

Pairings for the super regionals are set prior and are now just like the basketball brackets where the national #1 seed host sight is paired against the #16 host sight, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14 and so on.  Before the regionals, teams are invited to submit bids to host the super regional if they were to advance.  In this case there are base level restrictions for hosting, primarily that the host sight stadium have a minimum seating capacity.  In last years' tournament Auburn's regional (Tallahassee) was paired with the Texas Tech regional from which Sam Houston State advanced.  If we had won one of those last two games with FSU it was a certainty that there would have been an Auburn super regional since SHSU had not submitted to potentially be a super regional host sight.

More information from the NCAA website  >  http://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-i-baseball

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I couldn't do it.  I wake up at 8:45, start work at 9.  My office is 25 feet from my bed.  I'm way too spoiled.

I like it actually. I'm done by 3:00 -4:00 most days. And on Friday we stop seeing patients by noon, and I'm usually home by 2.  I never get the worst of the traffic and I have my late afternoons free. Working at home would feel lonely for me.

I see that 4 national seeds lost, with fully half the regional hosts losing.  Does that speak to the difficulty of seeding baseball, or is this just an anomaly?  On the female side, all 16 regional hosts won through.

5 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I'm up at 5 mon-fri.  At work around 5:40 because we have so much to do.  Summer is usually our catch up time, but we are so slammed now, we may not even catch up until late July if then.   I couldn't stay up to watch that one last night and since it wasn't Auburn it was an easy decision to go to bed.

Pharmacist in a nuclear lab, at work every morning at 2am

13 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I see that 4 national seeds lost, with fully half the regional hosts losing.  Does that speak to the difficulty of seeding baseball, or is this just an anomaly?  On the female side, all 16 regional hosts won through.

Parity in NCAA baseball!

It’s great to have 4 sec teams here, but two will be put out of championship by another sec team. Captain Obvious here!

4 hours ago, im4aual said:

Pharmacist in a nuclear lab, at work every morning at 2am

I wondered what that green glow was from.  ?

How did the selection committee know?   There are six SEC teams in the 16 team Super Regionals.  It is very odd that it worked out so the six SEC teams play each other.  That means that the SEC is guaranteed to have 3 teams in Omaha.  

57 minutes ago, around4ever said:

How did the selection committee know?   There are six SEC teams in the 16 team Super Regionals.  It is very odd that it worked out so the six SEC teams play each other.  That means that the SEC is guaranteed to have 3 teams in Omaha.  

Or that there could be no more than 3......a few SEC teams let our chance to rule the world get away from them.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

I assume the committee set it up this way for fear of an SEC heavy CWS. The only teams that were not setup for a potential pairing with another SEC team in the supers were UGA and LSU. We could have had 6 max which would have been interesting if they all could have got there.

21 hours ago, toddc said:

It’s great to have 4 sec teams here, but two will be put out of championship by another sec team. Captain Obvious here!

The SEC usually beats up on itself....

JMO. But it worked pretty well for the SEC since a couple teams like AU and MSU were not expected to be in the Super round anyway....and Georgia and OM were supposed to be there....but lost out.

I am glad to see MSU go deep. Hoping they keep the coach they have and leave Butch to us ??

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I am glad to see MSU go deep. Hoping they keep the coach they have and leave Butch to us ??

Butch isn't going anywhere.  

23 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I've heard they may go after the Louisville coach

He's already turned them down.  As has the TCU and ECU coaches.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

He's already turned them down.  As has the TCU and ECU coaches.

Well there you go guess they pickings are getting slim

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Henderson is probably two wins away from getting that job.  Cohen is posturing that he wants a coach with CWS coaching experience and will go with somebody else.

8 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Henderson is probably two wins away from getting that job.  Cohen is posturing that he wants a coach with CWS coaching experience and will go with somebody else.

That would eliminate Butch too.....so who out there would qualify...and who might change jobs.  ?

Archived