NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Vandy had a big inning scoring two in the bottom of the 4th.  But MSU had a bigger inning by getting out of it with bases loaded and giving up only 2 runs.  3-2 Vandy after 4. 

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone up watching this cal state game?? I just checked it while watching the vandy game and cal state was down 3-1 going to the top of the ninth and scored three runs to go up 4-3. Washington still has three outs but crazy game. Good one between vandy and state too

11 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Both of these games are ridiculously good games.

There have been some great games this weekend. College baseball is the bomb!

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

There have been some great games this weekend. College baseball is the bomb!

Crazy good! Think most have gone to bed and missing some great games. I’m out west so still a reasonable hour here:)

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Crazy good! Think most have gone to bed and missing some great games. I’m out west so still a reasonable hour here:)

I work for a physician and she is out of town until Wednesday..... so I took tomorrow off......otherwise I'd be asleep also. Tomorrow night will be tough though. I have to  get up Tues.morning at 5:30. 

So Miss State in the CWS ...and they are looking for a new coach ?    :dunno:

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So Miss State in the CWS ...and they are looking for a new coach ?    :dunno:

My thoughts exactly. Living an hour from Starkville I work with several State fans. No one is making a case for Henderson to stay. Louisville coach is who I keep hearing they want but he's told them no. They may be trying to figure out if it's a real "no" or a "Saban no". The guy has done a great job and it's obvious the players respond to him. 

27 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My thoughts exactly. Living an hour from Starkville I work with several State fans. No one is making a case for Henderson to stay. Louisville coach is who I keep hearing they want but he's told them no. They may be trying to figure out if it's a real "no" or a "Saban no". The guy has done a great job and it's obvious the players respond to him. 

No way to explain some fans....if they like a coach they will defend him or her …..what a lousy team he inherited or that he's only had 4 years to get "his guys" or a key assistant left at the last minute.   And yet here is a coach who inherited the job after the season was underway and the team was in disarray when their HC got fired.....and now they are in the CWS....and I've not heard anyone on behalf of MSU say ….this is our guy....     

If ever a guy deserved the "Coach of the Year award for SEC or NCAA, it would seem to be Henderson....As for MSU....they deserve to be told "no" a few times and have to settle for someone about 4th on their list.  They are already finding out that their coaching job is not as "HOT" as many of their fans or administration think it is.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

They are already finding out that their coaching job is not as "HOT" as many of their fans or administration think it is.

It's a good gig. 

And I don't think there has been a lot of rancor regarding the next head coach.  Cohen is in uncharted waters, new AD who is the former baseball coach (which shows what the flagship athletic program at MSU is) and he's about to put that team in a $55 Million facility which is going to be crazy good.  All that after having to replace the most successful football coach they've ever had.  I think he owes it to everybody associated with Mississippi State to make as certain as possible he has the perfect guy.  Henderson isn't the sexiest choice, but they found out sexy baseball coaches sleep around on their pregnant wives.  I don't believe anybody blames him for what Canizzaro did, but the whole scenario was just bizarre.  Fool me once....

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It's a good gig. 

Not denying that but lots of good gigs.....and JMO but seems like what went on with both UTS and lots of other schools who thought coaches would be lining up to take the job.    No doubt Henderson is not flashy.....but flashy can be dangerous as a number of schools have learned to their dismay.  But I'm thinking that Henderson has not had to do much recruiting either.   That's a possible problem.

As for CBT....if he thinks Starkville is where he wants to be then he should take the job.....and not just use the availability to wring more money out of Auburn......BUT...is Jimmy Sexton his agent?       And despite his connection to MSU, I'm wondering if many MSU fans would consider stealing Butch away for a million dollar salary was a "home run" ?

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

One rumor is that Henderson doesn't want the job.  He just wants to finish his career as a pitching coach.  

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

One rumor is that Henderson doesn't want the job.  He just wants to finish his career as a pitching coach.  

I could see that. Hadn't heard that before. 

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

But I'm thinking that Henderson has not had to do much recruiting either.   That's a possible problem.

As for CBT....if he thinks Starkville is where he wants to be then he should take the job.....and not just use the availability to wring more money out of Auburn......BUT...is Jimmy Sexton his agent?       

You know the record 13 University of Kentucky players that were drafted last week?  Guess who recruited every single one of them?

I can tell you without reservation that Butch isn't intentionally leveraging the MSU opening for his financial gain with Auburn.  That just isn't the case, he has one thing on his mind right now and it has nothing to do with Starkville.

54 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You know the record 13 University of Kentucky players that were drafted last week?  Guess who recruited every single one of them?

I can tell you without reservation that Butch isn't intentionally leveraging the MSU opening for his financial gain with Auburn.  That just isn't the case, he has one thing on his mind right now and it has nothing to do with Starkville.

55 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I can tell you without reservation that Butch isn't intentionally leveraging the MSU opening for his financial gain with Auburn.

I don't doubt that.....reason I mentioned Sexton.....agents have no conscience or qualms about leveraging a school at a favorable moment on behalf of their clients.\

Painful loss...fluke play like that after such great game saving plays by Estes and Ward in earlier innings.   AU played a great game and DD has really come around and found his place in the rotation for next year I think.  Did a nice job of keeping his poise when everyone but the home plate ump knew that was strike three on that key pitch to India I think it was......turned out to be irrelevant.....but I was impressed how he handled it and came back firing. 

Should be a good CWS.....even without AU in there, I'm looking forward to watching as much as I can.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Painful loss...fluke play like that after such great game saving plays by Estes and Ward in earlier innings.   AU played a great game and DD has really come around and found his place in the rotation for next year I think.  Did a nice job of keeping his poise when everyone but the home plate ump knew that was strike three on that key pitch to India I think it was......turned out to be irrelevant.....but I was impressed how he handled it and came back firing. 

Should be a good CWS.....even without AU in there, I'm looking forward to watching as much as I can.

Do you have a favorite? I’m kind of “anyone but Florida and arky” right now

3 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Going for MSU....want to see how the handle their HC situation.  ... But if the last two weeks mean anything Oregon State looks like the class of the field to me.

I think should be a good World Series.  All 8 teams are very good offensively and have pretty deep pitching.  Oregon State, Florida, Arkansas and Texas should be favorites. 

8 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I'm pulling for the underdog.....Washington. 

And I hope Texas Tech takes the gators to the woodshed. 

I think Butch will stay at Auburn and will get a nice raise that he deserves no doubt. MSU will get their coach, but it will not be Butch. I think Greene wants to get this done asap. State should hire Henderson after the job he has done if he wants the gig.

I like the Tarheels for whatever reason that I cannot seem to put my finger on. I guess living in NC kind of makes me want to pull for them.  I hope Arky & UF bite the bullet early and often. MSU is an intriguing team no doubt. Realistically speaking though, OSU could walk through the competition with relative ease if they continue to play the way they have to date.

Got to be pulling for MSU. It's my wife's school so we have each other's back when not playing each other. Actually got to liking the team this season. 

If Florida blows through their opponents and wins the CWS, it will make Auburn look even better for taking them to 11 innings in Game 3.   Not that I want UF to do that, but it is something to consider. 

Archived