NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

4 hours ago, NCSURedskin said:

Another Pack fan dropping in! Hope you guys enjoy Raleigh, hoping we can pull it out, but I have never had any issues with Auburn, so if y'all do get the best of us this weekend, hope y'all go to Florida and beat them! Make sure you try Char Girll and if you like good italian go to Amedeo's on Western(it's not far at all from the stadium).  

Welcome to the board! Thanks for your participation. Hope you stick around and pull for AU during football season.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well here's a shocker. Northeastern is not starting their ace against us in game 1.

AU scored 7 earned against Brown in 5 innings earlier this season

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well here's a shocker. Northeastern is not starting their ace against us in game 1.

And their approach may be to accept an AU loss if it happens but make sure they have a solid pitcher for the losers bracket game and win it.... and hope to go from there when everyone has used their aces?  Might work for an underdog.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And their approach may be to accept an AU loss if it happens but make sure they have a solid pitcher for the losers bracket game and win it.... and hope to go from there when everyone has used their aces?  Might work for an underdog.

Well if they do that then they'd probably save Mellen for their game 3 & the AU- NC St loser. They would still need to beat the AU-NC St winner 2 times after that.

Just now, ellitor said:

Well if they do that then they'd probably save Mellen for game 3 & the AU- NC St loser. They would still need to beat the AU-NC St winner 2 times after that.

Could be.....but could figure that their pitching staff would match better once the top pitchers from opponents are gone....might not work but they probably need to do something unconventional......

And in the case of how to handle AU for example, once Burns and Mize are used up and neither is likely to go the distance....so someone from the bullpen will be involved in both games.   Anyway..... if I were any of the other teams in the regional,   I'd consider after AU's first two games  that I had a reasonable chance against the rest of the AU pitching staff ...especially with their spotty hitting of late. .   Just speculating.... :dunno:

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That guy alluded to this very decision being made yesterday. I asked him who he thought they'd start, and he posted it was 50/50 on Mellen then deleted the tweet and responded differently. Definitely an interesting decision. Given our splits against RHP and LHP, this seems like an advantage for our offense. We hit RHP better, we've seen this guy before, and we've had success against him.

Glavine is probably setting his pitching up the same way Butch did. If they find a way to beat us in game one, they will have Mellen to throw against NC State, who hasn't hit LHP well the last few games.

Well I hope we take advantage. 

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Well I hope we take advantage. 

That’s the key. We’ve seen him and should be confident. But there’s nothing that says we’re just going to tattoo him. We still have to go out, stay focused on the approach, and execute. 

Good luck to y'all today. I didn't sell my 2:00 tickets, so seeing as how I work about 15 minutes from the Doak, I might just slide on over there to check out your game.

SEC off to some early problems...Miss State and Florida both trailing in their opening games....

23 hours ago, AU64 said:

SEC off to some early problems...Miss State and Florida both trailing in their opening games....

SEC went 7-1 yesterday.  MSU scored 10 runs and still lost by 10...used 8 pitchers to give up 22 hits 10 walks, and 3 hit batters which led to 20 runs allowed.  

And teams from the state of Alabama:, Troy beat Duke 6-0;  Samford beat FSU 7-6;  Auburn beat Northeastern 13-4.

Updykes played with themselves....

Related image

Apparently the baseball expert in the crowd thinks they need to run the ball.  Must be related to Eli Gold.

23 hours ago, JaegerWolf said:

Good luck to y'all today. I didn't sell my 2:00 tickets, so seeing as how I work about 15 minutes from the Doak, I might just slide on over there to check out your game.

You guys ran into a buzz saw with that Army team.  They were fun to watch, but probably not for the Pack fans.  I'm hoping y'all got their best game and we can see y'all on Sunday.   Good luck!

Just now, around4ever said:

You guys ran into a buzz saw with that Army team.  They were fun to watch, but probably not for the Pack fans.  I'm hoping y'all got their best game and we can see y'all on Sunday.   Good luck!

...but don't take Sean Mellen lightly....

58 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Apparently the baseball expert in the crowd thinks thinks they need to run the ball.  Must be related to Eli Gold.

20-10….that's what happens when you get a TD and FG early in the game and try to sit on the ball.    Sounded like that game might get several lines in the CWS record book....almost 5 hours long and 14 pitchers overall......and over 400 pitches by the combined teams.    That pitch count monitor must have stripped its gears trying to keep up with the pitches yesterday. 

A reasonable number of upsets yesterday....but as noted, SEC did pretty well. …  ACC..let a few get away, all of which they were favored to win I think. 

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

SEC went 7-1 yesterday.  MSU scored 10 runs and still lost by 10...used 8 pitchers to give up 22 hits 10 walks, and 3 hit batters which led to 20 runs allowed.  

And teams from the state of Alabama:, Troy beat Duke 6-0;  Samford beat FSU 7-6;  Auburn beat Northeastern 13-4.

Updykes played with themselves....

Kudos, nice shot!

Miss State vs FSU.....so anyone have a favorite there?   game is 0-0 in top of 3rd....

Down 2-0 in the bottom of the 9th, 2 strike count, a 2 out 3-run HR by MSSTATE takes out FSU. Unreal. 

Mississippi State walks it off against Florida state 3-2.    An absolute BOMB to left field and there was no doubt it was going out.   3-2 and FSU is 2 and OUT in the tournament.   Absolutely fantastic finish and couldn't happen to a better team on the losing end.   I LOVE IT...

Just now, around4ever said:

Mississippi State with the three run walk off homerun to eliminate the host FSU!!!   

Walked off in their own regional. Pretty heartbreaking

:lol:   It hit that about the same place (maybe a little closer to center) David Ross hit his in 1997...  :lol:     I love seeing that and seeing fsu have their hearts broken yet AGAIN is a beautiful thing.   I absolutely LOVED IT..... WOW.. What a finish.

FSU brings their starter back out after 2.5 hour delay to pitch the 9th ... gives up his only 2 walks of the game in the 9th and with pitch count over 130 gives up the walk off homer ... ouch

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Walked off in their own regional. Pretty heartbreaking

Couldn’t happen to a better bunch. Mike Martin is the most overrated coach in the history of baseball. 

5 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

FSU brings their starter back out after 2.5 hour delay to pitch the 9th ... gives up his only 2 walks of the game in the 9th and with pitch count over 130 gives up the walk off homer ... ouch

Coach oughta’ get his ass whipped for that. Who hangs a kid out like that??  Not Butch. 

Archived