NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Coach oughta’ get his ass whipped for that. Who hangs a kid out like that??  Not Butch. 

I know this board has debated pitch count ... but this kid walked his first batter of the game on 5 pitches to start the bottom of the ninth ... a few weren’t close.  Heck some of his strikes were flails by the batters (admittedly that may be to his credit as he obviously pitched a jem of a game to that point)

a 2.5 hour delay ... I’m no baseball guy, but from a simple athletics standpoint that seems like not the thing to do.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I know this board has debated pitch count ... but this kid walked his first batter of the game on 5 pitches to start the bottom of the ninth ... a few weren’t close.  Heck some of his strikes were flails by the batters (admittedly that may be to his credit as he obviously pitched a jem of a game to that point)

a 2.5 hour delay ... I’m no baseball guy, but from a simple athletics standpoint that seems like not the thing to do.

Debating pitch counts and the number of off days needed is one thing. Bringing a pitcher back out after a long stint on the mound and then a 2 1/2 hour rain delay is a different situation. Bad, bad move by the manager. It's bad both for the pitcher's health and for his team's chance to win the game. That much down time after a long outing should, by any rational person's thinking, signal the end of the day for that pitcher.

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Travel ball coaches don’t even do stupid stuff like that anymore. I hope somebody holds Martin accountable for that. Worst case you go get the kid after the first walk. Even an idiot wouldn’t leave him out there after the second walk. It’s flat out inexcusable, there’s no justification for doing that to a kid. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Mississippi State walks it off against Florida state 3-2.    An absolute BOMB to left field and there was no doubt it was going out.   3-2 and FSU is 2 and OUT in the tournament.   Absolutely fantastic finish and couldn't happen to a better team on the losing end.   I LOVE IT...

Me at FSU right now...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Mississippi State with the three run walk off homerun to eliminate the host FSU!!!   

Poor Mike Martin will never win the World Series. One of the craziest things but my heart does not bleed

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Poor Mike Martin will never win the World Series. One of the craziest things but my heart does not bleed

Because they pad their wins in the ACC and step out of it and can't compete.  Martin is a JOKE of a coach and it couldn't happen to a better bunch.  They choke every single year.

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Because they pad their wins in the ACC and step out of it and can't compete.  Martin is a JOKE of a coach and it couldn't happen to a better bunch.  They choke every single year.

yep

7 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

The level of talent that has played in Tallahassee is unparalleled....70 All Americans and 5 (FIVE) national POY’s. 

Stll ZERO national championships. That, my friends, is hard to do. Damn near impossible, the way the NCAA had catered to that program. But by God Mike Martin has pulled it off for thirty-eight years. 

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

The level of talent that has played in Tallahassee is unparalleled....70 All Americans and 5 (FIVE) national POY’s. 

Stll ZERO national championships. That, my friends, is hard to do. Damn near impossible, the way the NCAA had catered to that program. But by God Mike Martin has pulled it off for thirty-eight years. 

All playing in the ACC = NOT IMPRESSED.   Once they get out of conference we find out the kind of team they have.  consistently AVERAGE

7 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

I'm very glad Auburn did not have to go to Corvallis. OSU is dismantling LSU. 

Yep...LSU could not get a bit when they needed it early....bad game for them.

15 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Coach oughta’ get his ass whipped for that. Who hangs a kid out like that??  Not Butch. 

The stupidest coaching move I have ever seen. I can't even comprehend it. If I were the AD, I would suggest retirement. Gotta be senile to do that. But, with that being said, loved seeing the criminoles cry.

Kinda embarrassing for the announcers too...spent a good part of the past couple games talking about the legend and baseball genius that was Coach Martin...which in many ways is true I guess....but that decision sure came around to bite him.....especially going that long with the that pitcher.  

Managers have a hard time knowing when to pull a pitcher but I love it when one of our guys gets in trouble and CBT or Smith goes out and gets the guy when there is an 1-0 or 2-0 count on a batter......guess they figure that enough is enough and no point letting him dig a deeper hole.   

16 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Unbelievable!!  So the kid threw some during the 2.5 hour delay to keep his arm loose.  Even worse since that probably put his pitch count close to 200.  Coach Martin is better than that.   He knows better than to do that to a kid.  I don't understand his thinking.  

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Unbelievable!!  So the kid threw some during the 2.5 hour delay to keep his arm loose.  Even worse since that probably put his pitch count close to 200.  Coach Martin is better than that.   He knows better than to do that to a kid.  I don't understand his thinking.  

Desperate times call for desperate measures.....MSU had not been able to touch him all game and expect he figured  another 10 or 15 pitches was OK....but turned out much worse than that......even if he started him following the delay (which was questionable of course)  , after one batter he should have known to pull him. 

It may be time for FSU admins to have the same "retirement" conversation with Coach Martin that they had with Coach Bowden. 

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

The stupidest coaching move I have ever seen. I can't even comprehend it. If I were the AD, I would suggest retirement. Gotta be senile to do that. But, with that being said, loved seeing the criminoles cry.

Martin is defending the decision, says it was the right thing to do and that given the opportunity he would do it the same way again.  He should not be given a pass....

That kid pitched waaaaaay to good to have had his coach put him in that position.  I’m sure the kid wanted to pitch the last 3 outs but surely they have a closer who could sling 10 pitches to close out the game?

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Martin is defending the decision, says it was the right thing to do and that given the opportunity he would do it the same way again.  He should not be given a pass....

Making the AD job easy if you ask me. If I was a player on that team, I'd be thinking wtf?

Man, Troy is going bomb for bomb with the leg humpers. 3-3- B3. Troy still batting with a runner on first with 1 out. 

Troy gets a double, then takes the lead on a wild pitch. I know I should pull SEC, but I will never not enjoy watching UGA lose. 

Archived