NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

37 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Good points.

Also, in those last 3 games Mize lost, he gave up 6, 4, and 4 runs. For a #2 or 3 starter thats pretty good, but for your Ace who was burning it up at the first to middle of the year, you hope he gives up no more than 1-3 runs around 7 innings. If he is locked in with another teams ace, then he is going to have to find that top pitching form he has shown for most of the year.

CM having trouble making it through a lineup a second time.   JMO but letting him call his own pitches might not be a good plan...would like to see CBT or Smith making the decisions.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be painfully honest and use an old baseball term, Mize "blew up" in the last two games of his that I watched. In his last start, he never got the splitter out of the dirt. Coach Thompson knows more about what's going on than I do, but just from what I've seen, I'm not sure which pitcher gives us the best chance to win a game. Daniel is rockin' that fastball at 96-97 mph and his control has been acceptable. We have options.

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Daniel is rockin' that fastball at 96-97 mph and his control has been acceptable

When he has come out of the bullpen. Unfortunately it hasn’t transferred much when he started.

On Sean Mellen, he’s strugggled a bit lately. He’s walked 21 in his last 5 appearances. He’s lost his last 3 appearances. In the CAA Tournament, he started against UNCW on Thursday and went 3.1 IP allowing 4 earned runs on 2 hits with 4 walks and 2 Ks. He threw 72 pitches, and they lost that game 9-2. On saturday, he came on in relief, throwing 45 pitches and allowing 3 earned runs on 3 hits with 3 walks. 

I would expect him to throw against us Friday, but he’s had a pretty decent work load spread out over a few days. 

21 minutes ago, boomstick said:

On Sean Mellen, he’s strugggled a bit lately. He’s walked 21 in his last 5 appearances. He’s lost his last 3 appearances. In the CAA Tournament, he started against UNCW on Thursday and went 3.1 IP allowing 4 earned runs on 2 hits with 4 walks and 2 Ks. He threw 72 pitches, and they lost that game 9-2. On saturday, he came on in relief, throwing 45 pitches and allowing 3 earned runs on 3 hits with 3 walks. 

I would expect him to throw against us Friday, but he’s had a pretty decent work load spread out over a few days. 

He's gonna have to work hard to walk any of our guys......they swing about anything coming in their direction....whether it's a strike or not....especially if it has some spin on it.   Hoping Gabe has most of the guys in a "take" mode until at least one strike in the count for a while. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Mellen is no joke. Don't be fooled. His ERA is in 2.28 & 2 runs better than their next best starter.

That is an interesting question now. We have lost 3 straight Casey starts now which I would have never believed. Tanner has outpitched him down the stretch. Also Mellen is the best starting pitcher on either Northeastern or NC State staff. NC State has 1 stud starter & you know they will probably save him for game 2.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Good points.

Also, in those last 3 games Mize lost, he gave up 6, 4, and 4 runs. For a #2 or 3 starter thats pretty good, but for your Ace who was burning it up at the first to middle of the year, you hope he gives up no more than 1-3 runs around 7 innings. If he is locked in with another teams ace, then he is going to have to find that top pitching form he has shown for most of the year.

Well this is not all on Mize. Auburn scored 2, 1, and 0 runs during the innings he pitched in those 3 games. Maddux would have trouble winning with that sorry run production. I get the vibe Auburn is not as focused when he is pitching as when the others are. Like the basketball team of four average players standing around for the star fifth player to win the game for them. When the stud is not in the game they all play harder.

19 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well this is not all on Mize. Auburn scored 2, 1, and 0 runs during the innings he pitched in those 3 games. Maddux would have trouble winning with that sorry run production. I get the vibe Auburn is not as focused when he is pitching as when the others are. Like the basketball team of four average players standing around for the star fifth player to win the game for them. When the stud is not in the game they all play harder.

Agree with this 100% Casey has had to try to win us the game multiple times due to the offense not holding their end. We’ve faces some good pitchers but the last two starts we’re more because of not seeing the breaking ball in the dirt and trying to golf swing. Give Casey a 2 run cushion and we cruise

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

In the CAA Tournament, he started against UNCW on Thursday and went 3.1 IP allowing 4 earned runs on 2 hits with 4 walks and 2 Ks. He threw 72 pitches, and they lost that game 9-2

In fairness to him, he was only going on 4days rest Instead of his normal 6 days. He had been their game three weekends starter through the entire season and then was pushed up in the conference tournament to Have him ready to be the game one regional site starter.

31 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well this is not all on Mize. Auburn scored 2, 1, and 0 runs during the innings he pitched in those 3 games. Maddux would have trouble winning with that sorry run production.

No but he shares just as much of the load. AU still wouldn't have won at least 2 of those games w/ descent run production. His ERA his last 3 appearances was 6.75.

13 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Give Casey a 2 run cushion and we cruise

Respectfully disagree. Casey's stuff hasn't been there lately & he will be the 1st one to say it. In fact he basically called his stuff garbage as of late when interviewed after the aTm game. He battled well in that game to keep us in it but his stuff still wasn't there.

FTR I'm not crapping on him at all. Just a reflection of how things have been lately. I want him to go Friday & put us in the winner's bracket. I don't see AU losing 4 in a row with him on the mound.

5 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

But how much of that was due to pressing since he had no run support?

It's never been an issue in his AU career before when he wasn't getting run support. One of the remarkable things about him was his consistently until recently.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No but he shares just as much of the load. AU still wouldn't have won at least 2 of those games w/ descent run production. His ERA his last 3 appearances was 6.75.

Pitcher has to pitch and not worry about how many runs his team has scored.....

In the case of CM, he was knocked out of games with several innings remaining.   AU batters had future opportunities to score so he could not get caught up in what they were doing in the third or fourth or fifth innings....   JMO but it there was any pressing, it was trying to strike out the opposition and in the process, he racked up a pretty high pitch count by 5th or 6th innings in most recent games. . 

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

I don''t see how you can state this as it relates to Mize. If Auburn has decent run production, as you say, in  the two Mize starts where he gave up 4 runs each, by that I mean 4 runs during the innings he is pitching, then that is not on Mize.

ERA is projected out to 9 innings my friend. Decent run production for a 9 inning game is considered 4 or 5 runs. Projecting it out we would have lost at least 2 & maybe all 3 the way he was pitching. Starters can't give up 6.75 runs an appearance & expect to win a lot, even if you had an offense like Ole Miss's.

7 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Absolutely E. We can say the we disagree or be a little critical of the play without being over the top or condescending. Appreciate your viewpoint 

Cool. Hope my presentation wasn't condascending.

14 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

But how much of that was due to pressing since he had no run support?

In my opinion, he is not pressing. I believe there is an overall lack of focus by the team when he is pitching. 

Just now, SumterAubie said:

I believe there is an overall lack of focus by the team when he is pitching. 

Maybe but we have been on some bad ends of hitting streaks when other pitchers have gone so with due respect i'm not really sure about that theory.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe but we have been on some bad ends of hitting streaks when other pitchers have gone so with due respect i'm not really sure about that theory.

Okay Ellitor. You win.

6 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Okay Ellitor. You win.

Not a win or lose between us my friend.

To put it in the parameters you were using, in the actual time Casey was pitching decent run production during those 6 innings he threw on average is 2 to 3 runs so we would still be losing those games with decent run production.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

In fairness to him, he was only going on 4days rest Instead of his normal 6 days. He had been their game three weekends starter through the entire season and then was pushed up in the conference tournament to Have him ready to be the game one regional site starter.

He was pitching on 8 days rest in that first CAAT game. He started on 5/13 in his last regular season appearance and didn’t throw again until Thursday, 5/24, at the CAAT against UNCW. The game he likely would’ve started that would’ve put him in 4 days rest was against Delaware, but it was canceled. 

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

He's gonna have to work hard to walk any of our guys......they swing about anything coming in their direction....whether it's a strike or not....especially if it has some spin on it.   Hoping Gabe has most of the guys in a "take" mode until at least one strike in the count for a while. 

Not exactly. We led the SEC in walks this year (5th in the SEC in conference games). I believe we’re 22nd in the nation in walks. Our issue comes when a pitcher establishes the ability to throw multiple pitches for strikes and stays ahead in counts. We draw our fair share of walks,  but the pitchers who have given us trouble lately have located both the fastball and the breaking ball for strikes early in counts and then expand the zone. If Mellen doesn’t establish the command early, we will be ok. 

Casey is getting ready to get rich maybe that's on his mind. Even though Detroit will try and low ball him to save money. For a kid his age that would be on my mind just saying

24 minutes ago, boomstick said:

He was pitching on 8 days rest in that first CAAT game. He started on 5/13 in his last regular season appearance and didn’t throw again until Thursday, 5/24, at the CAAT against UNCW. The game he likely would’ve started that would’ve put him in 4 days rest was against Delaware, but it was canceled. 

Oops. Yeah you are right. I remember now thinking interesting they gave him the last regular season week off to put him # 1 in the rotation for the postseason but forgot I thought that. Lol

You were off on 1 thing though. You said he lost his last 3 appearances. His 3rd to last appearance was that game on the 13th where he gave up no runs. He got a no decision with Northeastern winning.  They were up 3-0 but their bullpen let the other team tie it. He was gritty although not pretty: 9 baserunners allowed on 1 hit, 6 walks, & 2 hit by pitch.

He has struggled lately but most of his last 6 starts before their conference tourney he was filthy. 3 earned runs in his last 6 starts prior to that point. Even with his recent struggles he is a very legit concern for us.

Read the piece in al.com that compared NCSU and AU and no way that the pack should have been seeded higher.....AU stronger in RP I and SOS and better record against top opponents .

Hope Ellitor accepts that baseball is like basketball and wheeling and dealing determined the seeds and opponents.

Archived