NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good rally by state in the ninth but that 5 run inning was the killer.

up to the piggies for SEC fans.....fresh pitching staff.

I don't know about MSU doing much late. Two walks and a hit batter would set anybody up. Then when MSU needed a hit, they couldn't produce. Back to Starkeville with 'em!

Now it's Go Beavers!

What was the final? Been at a wedding w/ no access. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, HitandRun5 said:

What was the final? Been at a wedding w/ no access. Thank you. 

5-2 OSU

Much thanks, @gr82b4au ! Doesn’t sound like much of a rally and it sounds like Henderson was late pulling the plug on Smalls........and might have given Cohen all he needs to get “his guy”.....whoever that may be. Great run though for the leg humpers, and IMO Henderson deserves to have the interim tag removed!

7 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

Much thanks, @gr82b4au ! Doesn’t sound like much of a rally and it sounds like Henderson was late pulling the plug on Smalls........and might have given Cohen all he needs to get “his guy”.....whoever that may be. Great run though for the leg humpers, and IMO Henderson deserves to have the interim tag removed!

Manager's most important decision is when to pull the pitcher....and it was clear as a bell last night when the score was 2-1 that Smalls was done....beavers have 3 consecutive hits in that inning and a couple the inning before.  Coach even went out to talk with the pitcher and for all the world it looked like it was time for the reliever...but I guess he let the pitcher talk him into letting him stay in the game...and that was all OSU needed for the night.  5 runs after two were out in the inning. 

Not the kind of decision that should cost a guy his job or every manager would be fired before mid season....but that was a blatant "miss" by Henderson.

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Manager's most important decision is when to pull the pitcher....and it was clear as a bell last night when the score was 2-1 that Smalls was done....beavers have 3 consecutive hits in that inning and a couple the inning before.  Coach even went out to talk with the pitcher and for all the world it looked like it was time for the reliever...but I guess he let the pitcher talk him into letting him stay in the game...and that was all OSU needed for the night.  5 runs after two were out in the inning. 

Not the kind of decision that should cost a guy his job or every manager would be fired before mid season....but that was a blatant "miss" by Henderson.

Before calling it blatant I'd like to know the reasons behind his decision. There are usually things going on that we know nothing about. 

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Before calling it blatant I'd like to know the reasons behind his decision. There are usually things going on that we know nothing about. 

Guess that would be interesting to know...but it was still a bad decision....results show that to be the case.     

JMO but the first coaching mistake was pitching to that big catcher with a base open...and then leaving the pitcher in after he had been knocked around in that inning...and then a wild pitch...and all that was following a pretty narrow escape the previous inning. 

AND  I bet an instant poll of MSU fans at the moment while GH was standing on the mound talking to the pitcher would have been about 98.4 % in favor of moving along to the next guy.

It appears that MSU is going to hire Chris Lemonis, current HC at Indiana, as their next HC. Henderson will not even be retained as Pitching Coach.  Some MSU fans are upset with AD Cohen because Lemonis doesn't fit the criteria laid out by Cohen for their next HC.  SMH! 

50 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It appears that MSU is going to hire Chris Lemonis, current HC at Indiana, as their next HC. Henderson will not even be retained as Pitching Coach.  Some MSU fans are upset with AD Cohen because Lemonis doesn't fit the criteria laid out by Cohen for their next HC.  SMH! 

Wow…...never saw that coming.....though he has made Indiana somewhat of a factor lately but only four years as a HC.  

https://www.landof10.com/indiana/indiana-baseball-coach-chris-lemonis-coach-mississippi-state

In 2007, Lemonis joined fellow Bulldog Dan McDonnell at Louisville as an assistant coach, where he helped the Cardinals to three College World Series appearances and seven NCAA appearances in eight seasons. Lemonis was responsible for recruiting and worked with hitters at Louisville, producing 33 professional players, several highly ranked recruiting classes, and three fifty win seasons.[

Don't know what Cohen's criteria was but this guy would seem to be an "up and comer"  and could be there for a long time if it works out.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Wow…...never saw that coming.....though he has made Indiana somewhat of a factor lately but only four years as a HC.  

https://www.landof10.com/indiana/indiana-baseball-coach-chris-lemonis-coach-mississippi-state

In 2007, Lemonis joined fellow Bulldog Dan McDonnell at Louisville as an assistant coach, where he helped the Cardinals to three College World Series appearances and seven NCAA appearances in eight seasons. Lemonis was responsible for recruiting and worked with hitters at Louisville, producing 33 professional players, several highly ranked recruiting classes, and three fifty win seasons.[

Don't know what Cohen's criteria was but this guy would seem to be an "up and comer"  and could be there for a long time if it works out.

Huge if

Big gamble by Cohen but the guy can recruit and coach. Anybody who can make Indiana somewhat relevant.......well you get the picture. 

On 6/24/2018 at 5:57 PM, AU64 said:

Guess that would be interesting to know...but it was still a bad decision....results show that to be the case.     

JMO but the first coaching mistake was pitching to that big catcher with a base open...and then leaving the pitcher in after he had been knocked around in that inning...and then a wild pitch...and all that was following a pretty narrow escape the previous inning. 

AND  I bet an instant poll of MSU fans at the moment while GH was standing on the mound talking to the pitcher would have been about 98.4 % in favor of moving along to the next guy.

Fans usually don't have any information on why decisions are made so their opinions aren't really a good measuring stick for the validity of a coaching decision.  

What do you mean.?  ...people question coaching decisions all day long on this site, what plays they call, which players are on the field and on it goes.   

This was about the easiest possible decision if Henderson was watching the game......his pitcher was getting hammered in a crucial game and not fooling anyone.  You don't have to know what a coach was thinking to know when he has made a bad decision.     Considering that Smalls had "lost it" the inning previous, this was a pretty easy decision......and probably cost his team the game....not knowing what a reliever might have done but it sure could not have worked out worse. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

What do you mean.?  ...people question coaching decisions all day long on this site, what plays they call, which players are on the field and on it goes.   

This was about the easiest possible decision if Henderson was watching the game......his pitcher was getting hammered in a crucial game and not fooling anyone.  You don't have to know what a coach was thinking to know when he has made a bad decision.     Considering that Smalls had "lost it" the inning previous, this was a pretty easy decision......and probably cost his team the game....not knowing what a reliever might have done but it sure could not have worked out worse. 

Just because fans have an opinion about something doesn't mean they are right. Most of the time fans don't really have a clue. Fans do not have all the information that coaches do, and they don't know the situation. Plus....most fans have never coached or played sports at an elite level. So...that's not a valid reason to say a decision was "blatantly" wrong. Fans rarely have the whole story. What they have is their OPINION. You can say it was a bad decision IN HINDSIGHT.  Henderson pulled that team together, and got them to Omaha so I'd say he's proved he is capable of making very good decisions about the team. Since you have no idea WHY he chose to leave Smalls in the game.....all you can say is that it didn't work out. That's just baseball. OSU can hit just about any pitcher anyway so Henderson could've been gambling no matter what he did. Maybe it was the wrong decision.....but just because fans think so doesn't automatically mean that it was.  

Most AU baseball fans thought Davis Daniel had little to no career left. You see how that worked out. 

On 6/24/2018 at 8:29 AM, AU64 said:

Not the kind of decision that should cost a guy his job or every manager would be fired before mid season...

I agree that it shouldn’t cost the guy his job.  I was saying Henderson’s “blatant miss“ gave Cohen the ammo to get “his” guy and most likely those 98.4% of fans would probably support that decision when he left Smalls in.

If the Lemonis to MSU reports are correct, I agree it’s a big gamble by Cohen and still believe Henderson should have gotten the position.

Lemonis has a reputation as a great recruiter. He’ll get the opportunity, real quickly, to show everyone at MSU how great he is starting with the current returning MSU players.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

I think GH should stay....and that call should have no effect...and probably didn't.....sounds to me that he was not in the picture....ever.,  however.  MSU is the kind of baseball school that could keep a coach as long as they want to ...and are taking the long view....

OK....Arky and Oregon State getting started a day late but looks like a nice evening.   Both pitchers off to a good start.....and teams looking sharp.

Score is 0-0 in the bottom of the 2nd.....OSU is the home team tonight. 

You beat me to it.  I was waiting until the end of the inning to post the score. 

OSU getting to the Arky pitcher. 

1-0, 1st and 2nd, 1 out. 

Arkie gets out of the inning....Knight looks good despite the run.....the beavers have some HITTERS.....lots of them....and they will apply pressure on the pitcher the entire game....meanwhile they need to get to Heimlich.....other teams have chased him early in the CWS.....will be interesting to see if the piggies can get to him...

Archived