NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

M

We don't agree on sac bunting as we have discussed before.  In certain situations, I still think a sac bunt is the right call.  The Beavers proved that when executed properly, it is beneficial.  Every player on the roster should know or be taught proper bunting technique.  It should be worked on every batting practice.  

I don't doubt that there's a time and place for a sacrifice. If it's very late in the game, one run is critical, and the player at bat has some likelihood of succeeding, fine. My biggest problem with a sacrifice earlier in games is that intentionally surrendering an out can kill what could potentially be a big inning.

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see OSU win it all. ordinarily I would be pulling for the SEC team, although that's hard in the case of the pigs. Buy my wife is an OSU grad who has become a big Auburn fan so I had to pull for the Beavers and a happy Beaver is a happy husband:hellyeah:

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Glad to see OSU win it all. ordinarily I would be pulling for the SEC team, although that's hard in the case of the pigs. Buy my wife is an OSU grad who has become a big Auburn fan so I had to pull for the Beavers and a happy Beaver is a happy husband:hellyeah:

Very same reason I was pulling for Miss St. The sacrifices one has to make sometimes. 

That play in the 9th inning with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the OSU player, was a play that will be remembered for a long time. All either of the 3 Arkansas players had to do was to catch a relatively easy foul ball just past 1st base and the pigs win the NC. I told my wife that OSU was going to come back and win the game and go on to win the NC. Boy was I ever right!

I feel sorry though for the young men who had the chance to catch the ball and end the game. That play will haunt each of them for a long, long time.

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

That play in the 9th inning with 2 outs and 2 strikes on the OSU player, was a play that will be remembered for a long time. All either of the 3 Arkansas players had to do was to catch a relatively easy foul ball just past 1st base and the pigs win the NC. I told my wife that OSU was going to come back and win the game and go on to win the NC. Boy was I ever right!

I feel sorry though for the young men who had the chance to catch the ball and end the game. That play will haunt each of them for a long, long time.

Yep...and worse still in my view is the guy who had the most difficult catch and had the longest run, (2B) had apparently called the other two off and then over ran the ball allowing it to hit behind him.   I'd have to see it again but seems to me I recall the RF had the best possible line to the ball...running right toward it and time to get there.    . 

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Couldn't resist adding to your post. ?

Especially since they are Beavers ?

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Dam Good Job Beavers!

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I agree. It will go down as the play that cost the pigs the Championship. It is already being compared to other such big plays like in this article.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/alcom_all-access_whats_the_col.html

On 6/29/2018 at 5:08 PM, AU64 said:

Yep...and worse still in my view is the guy who had the most difficult catch and had the longest run, (2B) had apparently called the other two off and then over ran the ball allowing it to hit behind him.   I'd have to see it again but seems to me I recall the RF had the best possible line to the ball...running right toward it and time to get there.    . 

Gates (1B) should have bailed way earlier and not even been in the vicinity.  Shaddy (2B) let desire override priority...Cole (RF) should have taken over that play.

5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Gates (1B) should have bailed way earlier and not even been in the vicinity.  Shaddy (2B) let desire override priority...Cole (RF) should have taken over that play.

Yep, the kind of thing these guys will still be thinking about when they are in their 60s......too bad for them because they had a good series but when there is a screw-up like this one, the memory of it probably never goes away. 

1B was there first but had a bad angle.  RF was there next and had the best angle and if he was calling it, should have taken priority.  2B was late, had a bad angle and overran the play terribly.   I really like Shaddy (2B) but he caused the entire fiasco. 

Archived