Gulf Coast fam

McLoofus

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Y'all good? 

Thanks for the thoughts Loof.

We good here.  Luckily for us, the worst had stayed out in the Gulf.  Lots of rain, as we try to paint our house...ugh!  But that's all.

Can't speak for the panhandle though.  They'll get the worst of it, God bless them.

Good to go here in Gulf Shores. Hardly even got any rain. Had to work today while lots of friends got to go surfing. Thanks for checking loof.

Hope y'all fare better down there than we have...first time in 20 years I have lived here....mudslides, roads closed and people killed.... Never even considered something like this could happen around here.   No way to prepare for what happened.  See this stuff in California sometimes but never in our mountains.  

http://wlos.com/news/local/more-than-100-evacuate-polk-county-homes-as-flood-threat-increases

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hope y'all fare better down there than we have...first time in 20 years I have lived here....mudslides, roads closed and people killed.... Never even considered something like this could happen around here.   No way to prepare for what happened.  See this stuff in California sometimes but never in our mountains.  

http://wlos.com/news/local/more-than-100-evacuate-polk-county-homes-as-flood-threat-increases

Wow. Stay safe 64!

No problems in Spanish Fort.  We didn’t even get much rain, but we did get a couple days of some nice surf down at Orange Beach. 

No problems in Panama City or Mexico Beach other a lot of wind and rain. Plus a  lost day of fishing, playing on the beach, and cooking out. Told Mrs. Salty this is first Memorial Day every having spaghetti for dinner. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sorry to hear that 64. Hard to believe

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sorry to hear that 64. Hard to believe

Thanks....Yep.....the two people killed today were news people ....anchor and photo guy and huge tree fell on their vehicle while they were driving along US176  to the area where one of the major slides took place.    We are on a ridge...down hill both ways from my house and despite more than 10 inches of rain in about a week, ..all is dry in the basement which amazes me.    

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks....Yep.....the two people killed today were news people ....anchor and photo guy and huge tree fell on their vehicle while they were driving along US176  to the area where one of the major slides took place.    We are on a ridge...down hill both ways from my house and despite more than 10 inches of rain in about a week, ..all is dry in the basement which amazes me.    

Sad to hear. Weather Channel has done a great job of making weather events "news". Not much else worth watching though. They really dramatized Alberto. Sounds like the slides occurred along man engineered embankments. Congrats on a dry basement.

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sad to hear. Weather Channel has done a great job of making weather events "news". Not much else worth watching though. They really dramatized Alberto. Sounds like the slides occurred along man engineered embankments. Congrats on a dry basement.

We laugh that around here that the weather channel names thunderstorms......but  no question weather channels have found a way to make every low pressure area sound like the next Camille or Katrina.    

Everyone here is mystified by the slides.....US176 is 75 years old and while there have been minor washouts from time to time where little water falls come off the mountain beside the road.....which is a beautiful drive south of Asheville......this week it's like the mountain just came apart....boulders bigger than cars and huge trees that toppled or washed down the mountainside and covered the road in five feet of mud plus boulders and trees...and trees with soaked root systems that just fall for no apparent reason other than a breeze.

But glad that Alberto is tame....wrong time of the year for a real hurricane of course..... 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We laugh that around here that the weather channel names thunderstorms......but  no question weather channels have found a way to make every low pressure area sound like the next Camille or Katrina.    

Everyone here is mystified by the slides.....US176 is 75 years old and while there have been minor washouts from time to time where little water falls come off the mountain beside the road.....which is a beautiful drive south of Asheville......this week it's like the mountain just came apart....boulders bigger than cars and huge trees that toppled or washed down the mountainside and covered the road in five feet of mud plus boulders and trees...and trees with soaked root systems that just fall for no apparent reason other than a breeze.

But glad that Alberto is tame....wrong time of the year for a real hurricane of course..... 

Hopefully it  does not become a common occurrence and doubt that it will in the area. Something that big starts to move it is going somewhere. 

My son informed that we are playing some baseball in NC this weekend. 

5 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Hopefully it  does not become a common occurrence and doubt that it will in the area. Something that big starts to move it is going somewhere. 

My son informed that we are playing some baseball in NC this weekend. 

NC State in Raleigh...my grand daughter is a student there...might be a good time to go see how she is getting along....:)

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

NC State in Raleigh...my grand daughter is a student there...might be a good time to go see how she is getting along....:)

Hope you can 64. With our pitching look forward to us doing extremely well in this type of play.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Thats terrible we had some rain no wind.

Pensacola, we got basically  nothing.  I think it rained for maybe 30 minutes and a slight breeze in the air.   We worked like we usually do on Memorial day.  :)   Very uneventful for us.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:42 AM, McLoofus said:

Y'all good? 

No thing, here.

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

Some forget that Camille killed more in VA than on the Gulf Coast.

Hope all was OK and is now past?

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Some forget that Camille killed more in VA than on the Gulf Coast.

Hope all was OK and is now past?

Still raining...a front settled over us I guess....4 inches more since yesterday evening.....folks down the hill from us starting to build their ark . 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Still raining...a front settled over us I guess....4 inches more since yesterday evening.....folks down the hill from us starting to build their ark . 

Do they know what a cubit is?

Stay safe and persevere, and

sorry our moisture fed your front.

28 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Do they know what a cubit is?

Stay safe and persevere, and

sorry our moisture fed your front.

Yep...can tell it is that Gulf moisture....warm rain and warm day...but lost the "gulf coast" fragrance along the way up here...

Archived