Pitcher Kara Bilodeau transfers

Kara Bilodeau posted on her Instagram that she is transferring to Florida State.

we have a no rumors policy here.  no link, no post

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is like baseball, most of the players are getting part scholarships which might not be enough to keep them if they are unhappy about something.....playing time or whatever.

Unless something has changed, softball players transferring will now have to sit out a transfer year. That's no so attractive to rising seniors. The youngsters can look at it differently.

Right now, I really don't see why a high quality player that can help AU win would transfer here. Too many questions.

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Unless something has changed, softball players transferring will now have to sit out a transfer year. That's no so attractive to rising seniors. The youngsters can look at it differently.

Right now, I really don't see why a high quality player that can help AU win would transfer here. Too many questions.

I Agree, especially with the Meyer's investigation and their leaving still fresh in everyone's mind. It could be a wait and see position for players looking to play for Dean.

OFC, the other reason is how good does his staff recruit? Recruiting in the SEC is a lot different that recruiting where he came from. 

A lot of unknowns. 

45 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I Agree, especially with the Meyer's investigation and their leaving still fresh in everyone's mind. It could be a wait and see position for players looking to play for Dean.

OFC, the other reason is how good does his staff recruit? Recruiting in the SEC is a lot different that recruiting where he came from. 

A lot of unknowns. 

Most of his players were Virginia, Pa and a few from the Midwest.  Only 1 from Florida ...maybe 2 but that was it.   Gonna have to learn to recruit an entire new area against a bunch of well established coaches.     Might take him a couple years to develop some contacts....especially with the travel league teams. 

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Is that a recent change?  I don't know of anyone who has done that, including Blaire Bass, Laney Joyner, or Carlee Wallace.

40 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Is that a recent change?  I don't know of anyone who has done that, including Blaire Bass, Laney Joyner, or Carlee Wallace.

Only if in conference and that can go to an arbitrator.  Baseball players are on full or nothing.  Softball can be partial scholarships.

20 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Only if in conference and that can go to an arbitrator.  Baseball players are on full or nothing.  Softball can be partial scholarships.

Unless there has been a recent change baseball can still give partial schollys. 

I would hate to see Bilodeau leave.  I felt like she showed a lot of promise.  She was not used late in the season.  Was there an internal issue or something between her and Coach Dean?  

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Softball doesn't have the same transfer rules as football or basketball. As long as the original school grants the release & the player is in good academic standing the player does not have to sit a year on their 1st transfer. See Kaylee Carlson from UNC to here & Carlee Wallace from here to Baylor.

37 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

Not sure about softball because of title nine, but D1 baseball only has 11.7 scholarship to give to the entire baseball team.   Only a select few are on a full ride.  Most get a partial scholarship.   My best guess is that it is the same for girls softball 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Softball doesn't have the same transfer rules as football or basketball. As long as the original school grants the release the player does not have to sit a year on their 1st transfer. See Kaylee Carlson from UNC to here & Carlee Wallace from here to Baylor.

I wonder why they tightened up baseball transfer rules and left softball alone? Or does this now apply to baseball too?

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure about softball because of title nine, but D1 baseball only has 11.7 scholarship to give to the entire baseball team.   Only a select few are on a full ride.  Most get a partial scholarship.   My best guess is that it is the same for girls softball 

It is but not as bad. Softball has 12 schollies to divide between no more than 25 player.

Baseball has to divide their 11.7 to at least 27 player but no more than32.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

It is but not as bad. Softball has 12 schollies to divide between no more than 25 player.

Baseball has to divide their 11.7 to at least 27 player but no more than32.

My opinion and we know what they say about opinions, but there should be at least 18 to 20 scholarships to hand out for baseball and softball.   Football has 82 and I can guarantee you that 10 to 15 will never see the playing field in their entire career.  

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I wonder why they tightened up baseball transfer rules and left softball alone?

No clue. I thought baseball transfers have had to sit a year for a while now.

Regardless here are the current transfer rules in terms of playing immediately from NCAA.org via questionaire for anyone curious.

You may be able to compete immediately after transferring if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• This is the first time you are transferring from a four-year college.
  • You will play a sport other than Division I baseball, basketball, football or men’s ice hockey at the second four-year school you plan to attend.
  • You are in good academic standing and making progress toward your degree.
  • The school from which you are transferring has given you a written release agreement allowing you to compete immediately at your new school

•  

Just now, aubaseball said:

My opinion and we know what they say about opinions, but there should be at least 18 to 20 scholarships to hand out for baseball and softball.   Football has 82 and I can guarantee you that 10 to 15 will never see the playing field in their entire career.  

Football has 85 FWIW. And football is the money maker. You would tick off way too many influential people cutting it beyond 85. Heck. The coaches & influentials had a conniption fit way back when it was dropped from 105 to 85.

33 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I would hate to see Bilodeau leave.  I felt like she showed a lot of promise.  She was not used late in the season.  Was there an internal issue or something between her and Coach Dean?  

I just thought that he had her as his #5 from the start.  She pitched only 2 conference innings, compared to 10 and 14 respectively for Swindle and Harris.  I was curious as to why Swindle seemed to move ahead of Harris late in the year; but maybe that's meaningless.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

Sorry...I pulled baseball back into a head count sport where it once was :) .  Not sure why her eligibility was ever even used, considering she was not going to be used much.  Not sure there are many good relationships between the coaches and players, unfortunately.  

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No clue. I thought baseball transfers have had to sit a year for a while now.

Regardless here are the current transfer rules in terms of playing immediately from NCAA.org via questionaire for anyone curious.

•  

Coaches can put stipulations on transferring when granting a player a release, which usually tries to prevent staying in same conference.

1 hour ago, 4WDE said:

Coaches can put stipulations on transferring when granting a player a release, which usually tries to prevent staying in same conference.

Yup. That's apart of bullet point 4 even though it wasn't expressly written.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yup. That's apart of bullet point 4 even though it wasn't expressly written.

Until recently softball  has not been very cutthroat among the coaches....but probably more so now with higher visibility of the sport.   But the stipulation about leaving the conference is pretty reasonable and leaves someone wanting to transfer lots of options.  

I just checked the roster, and, weirdly, Bilodeau's hometown block has been removed.  The remainder of the line entry is still there.

We're now down to 3 pitchers.  It may get interesting real soon.  If I'm Martin, I'm telling Dean I want a full ride, if she's not on one already.

4 hours ago, saminbama said:

We're now down to 3 pitchers.  It may get interesting real soon.  If I'm Martin, I'm telling Dean I want a full ride, if she's not on one already.

There may be some real nice pitching help coming. Can't say more as that would go against the rumor policy.

Archived