Marquis Daniels Joining AU Staff

jared52

Former Auburn All-SEC guard Marquis Daniels is joining Bruce Pearl's coaching staff as a graduate assistant.

Daniels, who played at Auburn from 1999-2003 and had a 10-year NBA career, takes over for Matt Gatens, who left to become the director of basketball operations at Drake.

"The advantage with Marquis in that position is he gets to be on the floor with the players," Pearl said at the SEC Spring Meetings in Destin on Tuesday. "The only people that can actually be on the court with the players is the head coach, the three full-time assistants and the graduate assistants. So bringing Marquis in this position at this time really will allow him to focus on player development and shooting and footwork and getting open and all the different things. I felt that was a part of our staff that we needed to add to."

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/05/marquis_daniels_joins_bruce_pe.html

AUsome.  He carried us in that Tourney we lost to Syracuse. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:AUsome.  He carried us in that Tourney we lost to Syracuse. 

Love him for that year, and Syracuse only barely escaped that one. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Vitale called him a diaper dandy on a telecast.  He sung high praise for him. 

10 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That was a great game I think it ended up a one point lost cause MD hit a three at the buzzer not sure

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

That was a great game I think it ended up a one point lost cause MD hit a three at the buzzer not sure

I don't think it was MD on the last shot but he played a heck of a game. We played them tough. They earned it. 

So anyone with good knowledge know what other spots on staff still need to be filled? It seems like a big puzzle and I’ve just lost track of all the moving pieces at this point 

I’m a little gun shy of ex AU players at the moment. But having the best AU b-ball player in the last 30 years on staff seems like a good idea. His first hand knowledge of the game and how to last so long in the nba should be a welcome addition he coaching staff. Hope this is a good intro to coaching for him

My favorite player in Auburn history because we were in school together. That sweet 16 run happened on spring break. My roommate and I had already planned a road trip to NYC to hang out with friends up there. We tacked on a “quick” (it’s actually a long way) trip from the City to Albany to support the guys. Lost but had a blast. 

We named my car Marquis because we rode him all the way to Albany. I put over 250k miles on that car. Great car. Great player. 

18 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I don't think it was MD on the last shot but he played a heck of a game. We played them tough. They earned it. 

Nathan Watson hit it I think. MD actually went cold at the end and didn’t score for like the last 10 minutes of the game or something like that. I do remember Carmelo had like 20 or...all coming in the second half. We were sooooo close!

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Nathan Watson hit it I think. MD actually went cold at the end and didn’t score for like the last 10 minutes of the game or something like that. I do remember Carmelo had like 20 or...all coming in the second half. We were sooooo close!

And most from the elbow at the top of the key haha.  Frustrating we never stopped it. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/30/2018 at 4:29 PM, boisnumber1 said:

If Marquis can coach our players to look as effortless as he always did, we will be fine.

I expect Doughty to have a very Marquis like style.

i know that Marquis is just a GA so he can’t go on visits but I wonder what type of impact he’s already having on recruiting bc he can help when kids are on campus. Definitely has to help having him

3 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

If every player at auburn strives to emulate a Daniels or Bryant Smith ... we’ll be awright 

Smith was one of my favorites as well. He was a much bigger piece of success for that great team than many people realize. Still as a matter of fact, to this day I don't think he gets the credit should.

I think my favorite player is Jamison Brewer though

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 1:45 PM, cole256 said:

Smith was one of my favorites as well. He was a much bigger piece of success for that great team than many people realize. Still as a matter of fact, to this day I don't think he gets the credit should.

I think my favorite player is Jamison Brewer though

Porter was the highlight of that team but I always thought Smith was the “glue” guy that did a lot of stuff without much recognition. Our underperforming the next year seemed to be largely the result of his absence....and perhaps some weed issues, lol

Archived