Greene Taking his Time with Pearl Decision

AU-24

CBP has the coaching acumen but even more important for the auburn basketball program ... he had the charisma that the fans and boosters needed.  He had fans buy in instantly.

as far as football and gus paying Bruce’s salary ... half the people on this board could turn a profit coaching Auburn’s football team ... and therefore pay everyone else’s salary.

fwiw, I think they all make too much to coach a kids game. I hate the professionalized nature of collegiate sports.

at least pearl openly professes to be a “teacher” on the college campus and has to be one of, if not the most open coach on campus.  Let me see gus open practices to the student body like pearl has. (Btw I like gus, but not nearly as much as i did before the last 2 Clemson games)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile...the government bringing the hammer down on Person....some more specifics on charges ...most related to how he mistreated Auburn University...

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/05/government_files_superseding_i.html#incart_river_index

Berman writes in the superseding indictment, "including in written agreements and certification forms submitted to Auburn University, that concealed the existence of bribe payments that Person had received in violation of NCAA rules and Person's duties to Auburn University, based on which Auburn University provided salary payment to Person, and further depriving Auburn University of the right to control the use of its assets, including, but not limited to, the decision of how to allocate a limited number of coaching staff positions, and further exposing Auburn University to tangible economic harm, including monetary and other penalties imposed by the NCAA."

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

That's fine Tiger...I disagree with most of what you have to say about both coaches.....but it's an opinion forum so nice to have some points of disagreement or there would be nothing to forum about....

Apologies if I came off as harsh. It truly was not my intent but could be taken that way after I re-read it. Feel free to expand on what you disagree with. I'm really just trying to understand how you're connecting the dots to get to your viewpoint. 

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Apologies if I came off as harsh. It truly was not my intent but could be taken that way after I re-read it. Feel free to expand on what you disagree with. I'm really just trying to understand how you're connecting the dots to get to your viewpoint. 

nah...we're good....and no point in kicking the same old arguments around endlessly.   

It's a what have you done for me lately world....well, at least college coaching is that way... and both coaches have a chance to validate themselves in the next 6-8 months ....so at this point it's all speculation anyway......

Just like I’m sure everyone on here does, I’ve got someone who is involved with the athleti department and I’ve gotten to meet Greene a few times. I think he’s a super nice guy and has student-athletes’ interests at the forefront, but I’m not sure he knows how to run a program as big as this. I think the athletes like him a lot but from what I’ve seen thus far, he doesn’t seem like he figures things out very quickly and it also seems as if he’s had his share of “yes man” moments with Leath. 

28 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Just like I’m sure everyone on here does, I’ve got someone who is involved with the athleti department and I’ve gotten to meet Greene a few times. I think he’s a super nice guy and has student-athletes’ interests at the forefront, but I’m not sure he knows how to run a program as big as this. I think the athletes like him a lot but from what I’ve seen thus far, he doesn’t seem like he figures things out very quickly and it also seems as if he’s had his share of “yes man” moments with Leath. 

Leath is his boss....Greene is not going to get much done unless Leath is on board ..and the Trustees.  Give him time and don't think he can just go his own way ...he has lots of bosses and better be listening to them.

Oh crap!  If the AD is telling a head coach who his assistant coaches will be....WE ARE SCREWED!  If there is a legitimate reason to let an assistant go, then do it.  But to tell a HC, "this is going to be your staff"......????

On Greene being a "yes" man to Leath:  a successful manager hires competent people and lets them make decisions.  If he micromanages, then it's all on Leath!  Will he be telling Gus what plays to run?!

11 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Oh crap!  If the AD is telling a head coach who his assistant coaches will be....WE ARE SCREWED!  If there is a legitimate reason to let an assistant go, then do it.  But to tell a HC, "this is going to be your staff"......????

On Greene being a "yes" man to Leath:  a successful manager hires competent people and lets them make decisions.  If he micromanages, then it's all on Leath!  Will he be telling Gus what plays to run?!

He can tell the HC who they are not going to be.....nothing wrong with that...happens all the time....coach wants to hire someone like Freeze or Briles for example and the AD or school president says...."better look around for someone else".    In case you have not noticed, coaches are often looking out for their own best interests and not necessarily the interests of their university....which is how you end up with the FBI or NCAA camped out on your campus.  

There is micromanaging but there is also letting a young and inexperienced guy know what is expected.    What's going on with basketball program has serious implications for the school....look at Ole Miss and the thread based on the article Crooked Letters posted elsewhere to see what happens when an AD and coach are turned loose to do what they want and nobody is looking out for the university. . 

Leath hired the guy and wants/needs him to be successful...  and JMO,  but it would be foolish to turn Greene loose to make a career killing mistake and the best way for that to happen is for him to ignore the boss. . 

I’m not panicking yet and this is all probably minor stuff considering we were all bracing for BP to be fired at the start of last season, but this is not good at all. 

If AG tells BP to let Prewitt and Steven Pearl go and bring in a new staff, I highly doubt BP will agree to remain as coach and let Steven go. Tomorrow will be telling, if the contracts expire things could get chaotic very fast and we could see a mass exodus of coaches and more players leaving. 

But this is worst case and if I had to guess they are probably on the same page and will pull something out soon. Just aggravating that we have such a great day with 3 big time players announcing they’re returning and now this drama 

6 hours ago, au302 said:

I’m not panicking yet and this is all probably minor stuff considering we were all bracing for BP to be fired at the start of last season, but this is not good at all. 

If AG tells BP to let Prewitt and Steven Pearl go and bring in a new staff, I highly doubt BP will agree to remain as coach and let Steven go. Tomorrow will be telling, if the contracts expire things could get chaotic very fast and we could see a mass exodus of coaches and more players leaving. 

But this is worst case and if I had to guess they are probably on the same page and will pull something out soon. Just aggravating that we have such a great day with 3 big time players announcing they’re returning and now this drama

I don't think your fears are unfounded. Time and time again we have proven that Auburn's worst enemy is Auburn. Doing something stupid in this case would be right in character for us.

6 hours ago, au302 said:

As Mikey said, you are probably right. Unless something happened last night or today, I guess these two assistants have been "fired". Since one of these guys is BP son I guess this will do it for him also. IF this goes down like in this manner, this is a colossal cluster (you know what) by Greene and Leath. Maybe it will not but I do not see these assistants returning at this point.

Not sure how BP will react but not a bad thing for SP to get out on his own and see what he can do....guess a lot depends on how this is handled.

If SP is a good and valuable coach he should land on his feet.

There really isn't any way they can just let these contracts expire, right?  RIGHT???  There hasn't been any real indication this was going to be a problem, 3 of the 4 future NBA players returned, one of the coaches is the head coach's son for goodness sake.  I simply can't believe they'd take a stand now, ask Pearl to clean house, and subsequently turn the program on its ear when Pearl walks over this.  No way.  (Right???)  

1 minute ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

There really isn't any way they can just let these contracts expire, right?  RIGHT???  There hasn't been any real indication this was going to be a problem, 3 of the 4 future NBA players returned, one of the coaches is the head coach's son for goodness sake.  I simply can't believe they'd take a stand now, ask Pearl to clean house, and subsequently turn the program on its ear when Pearl walks over this.  No way.  (Right???)  

I think we’re all in shock. I guess it’s possible they were waiting for those other things about Person to come out yesterday before going forward but if AG does indeed tell Pearl to let Steven go I’d be absolutely shocked if he agrees to do so and remain as coach. 

We’ll see what happens over the next 12 hours but things could get interesting. I’m just going to enjoy watching the baseball regional game and not worry too much until something comes out

On 5/31/2018 at 12:36 AM, Mikey said:

I thought the only question was how big of a raise Pearl is getting. It should be a huge one!

Agree!!

15 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Well, ofc he doesn't know how to run a big program; this is his first.

As basically new to a pressure packed conference such as the SEC, and somewhat on probation, i expect him to be a yes man at times to the President. That is his boss.

He will have to grow into the job, and hopefully we will see great results from him as he gets experience. I think JJ probably did a lot of yessing when he was hired, and he had much more experience within the SEC and Auburn than AG has.

5 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

As Mikey said, you are probably right. Unless something happened last night or today, I guess these two assistants have been "fired". Since one of these guys is BP son I guess this will do it for him also. IF this goes down like in this manner, this is a colossal cluster (you know what) by Greene and Leath. Maybe it will not but I do not see these assistants returning at this point.

Contracts can be extended on a month-to-month basis while under negotiation, and the employee continues to receive compensation & benefits.  Greene said they'd already discussed the expiring contracts internally and he had no concerns with it.

Leath/Greene have been in Destin at the SEC meetings, they've been tied up all week and I'm sure employee contracts have been placed on the back burner.

I admit, it's odd that the contracts weren't automatically renewed, especially Stephen's since they've had months to work through this.  It's also obvious that there's more to the story than the info that's been released for public consumption.  If BP is 100% clean and clear and his coaches are as well, then AU would've already executed BP's extension and renewed Bruce's asst coaches immediately after winning the conference.....now here we are 3 months after the fact.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

I admit, it's odd that the contracts weren't automatically renewed, especially Stephen's since they've had months to work through this.  It's also obvious that there's more to the story than the info that's been released for public consumption.  If BP is 100% clean and clear and his coaches are as well, then AU would've already executed BP's extension and renewed Bruce's asst coaches immediately after winning the conference.....now here we are 3 months after the fact.

I think the big issue we are dealing with is new AD still getting settled on top of having a coach who deserves a raise but had enough negative happen to his program last year that you want to be cautious about how big of a raise for fear of looking as if you are promoting those kinds of things happening.  It's also been stated that Bruce is pushing for increases for his staff which could easily slow down their contract process.

I honestly think this article is doing a really good job of taking something Green meant to be relatively innocuous and reading things between the lines that might not really be there.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I think the big issue we are dealing with is new AD still getting settled on top of having a coach who deserves a raise but had enough negative happen to his program last year that you want to be cautious about how big of a raise for fear of looking as if you are promoting those kinds of things happening.  It's also been stated that Bruce is pushing for increases for his staff which could easily slow down their contract process.

I honestly think this article is doing a really good job of taking something Green meant to be relatively innocuous and reading things between the lines that might not really be there.

Who knows?

All I know is that I'm personally not worried about the asst coaches contracts expiring today, because that doesn't necessarily mean they've been fired - they can be carried over month-to-month while under negotiation.  On the other hand, they've all had roughly 2 months since the end of the season to hash out the contract details and put ink to paper on the asst coaches contract extensions.  Perhaps Greene is being super cautious relative to BP & his staffers?  

Who knows?

Just a question but do we even know that Stephen Pearl is a good coach?    

Everyone got caught up in critiquing Flannigan when he was hired for example...yet I'm not sure I've seen anything about Stephen Pearl's salary or that we know much of anything about him except that he is the coach's son and is green as grass..

Until a year ago he did not have any direct coaching experience ......so other than how BP feels about it, losing him as a bench coach would not make much difference in how the team plays or develops..    JMO but I'm not big on coaches having family members in key positions anyway.   Seems this is more about making BP happy than doing much that will help the performance of the team.  

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Everyone got caught up in critiquing Flannigan when he was hired for example...yet I'm not sure I've seen anything about Stephen Pearl's salary or that we know much of anything about him except that he is the coach's son and is green as grass..

Until a year ago he did not have any direct coaching experience ......so other than how BP feels about it, losing him as a bench coach would not make much difference in how the team plays or develops..    JMO but I'm not big on coaches having family members in key positions anyway.   Seems this is more about making BP happy than doing much that will help the performance of the team.  

I guess it’s pretty understood it’s a package deal. A deal I’m totally down for as long as Bruce is coaching here. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think the article is, but it's clear some posters here are doing just that. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I guess it’s pretty understood it’s a package deal. A deal I’m totally down for as long as Bruce is coaching here. 

I'm not surprised by that....and maybe it's just me but I would like to have an experienced coach in that role....and glad we have hired one experienced assistant now but looks like we need at least one more.  

Our last package deal did not work out too well which means nothing in particular I guess .....but the risk is always there with family. 

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

There were a couple games where we were getting beat soundly, and Bruce said that it was Steven that suggested a change in defenses which helped us come back in the games. I'm not sure how much Defensive coaching we were getting when Person was here.

14 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

There were a couple games where we were getting beat soundly, and Bruce said that it was Steven that suggested a change in defenses which helped us come back in the games. I'm not sure how much Defensive coaching we were getting when Person was here.

I agree on Person but we can count on BP being sure to promote his son....family after all.   Hope we get another assistant with more than one year of coaching experience.

Still wondering about his salary....

Archived