Greene Taking his Time with Pearl Decision

AU-24

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/greene-taking-his-time-assessing-pearl-s-long-term-future

In other words, I don’t know what I’m doing yet, so be patient with me.

Greene taking his time assessing Pearl's long-term future

DESTIN, Fla. — Bruce Pearl said last week he's confident that "university leadership" is enthusiastic about keeping the Tigers' coaching staff in place, but athletic director Allen Greene was careful with his words when asked about the program Wednesday.

"We want him to be our coach here," Greene said at the SEC Spring Meetings. "So long as he has done things the right way and we don’t learn anything more and he continues to do what he’s been doing, then we’re fine moving forward."

Pearl has two seasons remaining on the five-year deal he signed when hired in 2015. He's been working behind the scenes on a contract extension, but has put more emphasis on added security for his assistants and perhaps adding at least one new position to the staff.

New assistant coach Wes Flanagan agreed to a two-year deal when hired in April. However, current assistants Steven Pearl and Chad Prewitt have only hours remaining on their current deals; both expire Thursday night.

"We’ve had discussions internally so I don’t have concerns about that," Greene said of the expiring deals.

The 2017-18 season was one of highs and lows for the Auburn program. Assistant coach Chuck Person was indicted by the Department of Justice in September for bribery and corruption — charges that led to a pair of Auburn players, center Austin Wiley and forward Danjel Purifoy, being ruled ineligible for the season. Person was fired in November.

The Tigers regrouped, however, and won the SEC's regular-season title for the first time since 1999. Auburn is expected to be a force next season as well with several key players returning and the suspended players aiming for reinstatement.

Greene said Wednesday that he's committed to keeping the program in position to win another title in 2019.

"We continue to talk about the program and the future of it with him at the helm and making sure that he has a staff that understands that we need to do things the right way at Auburn," Greene said. "We will do things the right way at Auburn and will be nationally competitive. We’ve only talked about the future and just helping make sure that we’re positioned to be competitive nationally and we certainly understand that consistency in coaching staff is really important."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm good with him taking his time and getting this right.  But if he lets a "clean" CBP slip away....the fans will be VERY restless.  With all of the great news of those returning next year....do not screw this up!

1 minute ago, penguin149 said:

I'm good with him taking his time and getting this right.  But if he lets a "clean" CBP slip away....the fans will be VERY restless.  With all of the great news of those returning next year....do not screw this up!

Agree!

I thought the only question was how big of a raise Pearl is getting. It should be a huge one!

Did Leath give him that statement to read? I've been pumped about Greene but I don't get publicly questioning Bruce's ability to do things the right way. A simple "We continue to work towards finalizing a new deal with Coach Pearl and are excited about the future here" would be great.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I thought the only question was how big of a raise Pearl is getting. It should be a huge one!

I thought it was more about Pearl wanting to make sure the assistants were going to be taken care of with their contracts. Maybe I interpreted it wrong previously.  If Pearl didn't do anything wrong and the players in question have been given the green light I am curious why Greene can't get this done. 

Sounds to me that Greene still does not know all he thinks he needs to know....

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sounds to me that Greene still does not know all he thinks he needs to know....

That makes some sense. A lot more sense than quibbling over a few dollars by either side of the salary issue. We do need to wrap this up very soon, from a public opinion standpoint if nothing else.

Well , 2 of our assistants contracts expire this Friday. So technically these assistants will no longer be employed by AU come the end of this week. This is beginning to become a cluster and Greene is failing in one of his first big issues IMO. AU basketball looks to be turning the corner and our AD and prez looks like they are trying to set us back.

6 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Well , 2 of our assistants contracts expire this Friday. So technically these assistants will no longer be employed by AU come the end of this week. This is beginning to become a cluster and Greene is failing in one of his first big issues IMO. AU basketball looks to be turning the corner and our AD and prez looks like they are trying to set us back.

Not saying he gonna do anything about BP, but this may be a  subtle way of cleaning house in the basketball program....will give BP the benefit of the doubt if nothing new comes up.......but perhaps thinking that we need a some new faces in the program....like Flannigan and Daniels to begin with.  .   

JMO but he could actually agree with me that it is hard to accept that Person was doing what he did and nobody on the staff caught wind of it. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not saying he gonna do anything about BP, but this may be a  subtle way of cleaning house in the basketball program....will give BP the benefit of the doubt if nothing new comes up.......but perhaps thinking that we need a some new faces in the program....like Flannigan and Daniels to begin with.  .   

JMO but he could actually agree with me that it is hard to accept that Person was doing what he did and nobody on the staff caught wind of it. 

I can understand the difficult time believing "nobody on staff caught wind of it" thought, but it's hard to monitor your employees when they go home at night.  The FBI was monitoring Person's phone.  If he and Pearl were in cahoots, surely there's at least one recording between the two of them.  A text.  A recorded conversation.  Something.  (If there was, we would've heard about it by now, because the taking down a coach of Pearl's magnitude would be top billing on every sports page.  And Person would likely do anything (including turning on a complicit head coach) to reduce the sentence he's going to get). 

Even if Pearl used a burner phone to secretly contact Person, there would be SOME evidence to point to. Seems like some of the other underlings may have had some knowledge given several others were suspended at the same time this was uncovered, but seems like Pearl wasn't involved at all.   Given this funneling players to a financial advisor had no real benefit to the AU basketball team or their wins/losses (which is what he's ultimately measured by) and you can see the proof that Person directly benefited monetarily and you can follow the money trail, it isn't hard for me to believe Pearl is innocent.  I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can, but it seems reasonable that Pearl wasn't part of it based on what we currently know.  I'd probably feel the same even if it was Bammer that was in this position.  

7 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

I can understand the difficult time believing "nobody on staff caught wind of it" thought, but it's hard to monitor your employees when they go home at night.  The FBI was monitoring Person's phone.  If he and Pearl were in cahoots, surely there's at least one recording between the two of them.  A text.  A recorded conversation.  Something.  (If there was, we would've heard about it by now, because the taking down a coach of Pearl's magnitude would be top billing on every sports page.  And Person would likely do anything (including turning on a complicit head coach) to reduce the sentence he's going to get). 

Even if Pearl used a burner phone to secretly contact Person, there would be SOME evidence to point to. Seems like some of the other underlings may have had some knowledge given several others were suspended at the same time this was uncovered, but seems like Pearl wasn't involved at all.   Given this funneling players to a financial advisor had no real benefit to the AU basketball team or their wins/losses (which is what he's ultimately measured by) and you can see the proof that Person directly benefited monetarily and you can follow the money trail, it isn't hard for me to believe Pearl is innocent.  I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can,  and, even if it was Bammer that was in this position, it seems reasonable that Pearl wasn't part of it based on what we currently know.    

I seriously doubt BP had any thing to do with what CP was doing.....he's way smarter than that and didn't need to do anything like that.

I'm just saying that teenagers don't keep secrets and if the coaching staff was as tight as we are often lead to believe,  there is reason to be worried.  I'm just thinking that AG is going to bring in a complete new staff other than BP. ....a process which apparently is under way.  I base my view on the fact that contracts are being allowed to expire for no good reason and speculation is not being addressed in those areas.   

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I seriously doubt BP had any thing to do with what CP was doing.....he's way smarter than that and didn't need to do anything like that.

I'm just saying that teenagers don't keep secrets and if the coaching staff was as tight as we are often lead to believe,  there is reason to be worried.  I'm just thinking that AG is going to bring in a complete new staff other than BP. ....a process which apparently is under way.  I base my view on the fact that contracts are being allowed to expire for no good reason and speculation is not being addressed in those areas.   

Yeah, I'm a little aggravated with that last point (contracts allowed to expire/speculation not being put to rest) as that does seem possible.  They have through tomorrow before expiration and maybe it's just some last minute wrangling....or maybe there's more to it.  Not sure if tomorrow's deadline is a hard target for them (I'd presume it would be) or if they'd have some arrangement in the interim if the contracts ARE allowed to expire, but we'll obviously know more in the next 48 hours or so.  It does seem to take the AU leadership a long time to put speculation to rest.  (They waited months after the Person arrest before actually coming out supporting Pearl and left him hanging in the wind for a long time.  Perhaps they're trying to make a statement here.)

When leath sent emails to fans and made boneheaded public comments ... he lost my faith in him regarding the basketball program.  Now I’ll be forever wondering if he’ll have an ax to grind with Pearl.  Therefore I wonder if green as full control of this situation.

in a loose way, it reminds me of Jacobs (insert leath) and Galloway (pearl) ... Jacobs eventually hung him on something most coaches would have gotten a wrist slap for.

at this point I won’t be surprised by anything.  On the horrible side ... I could see the admin toying with this through tomorrow and pearl saying goodbye ... ESPN would take him back as an analyst in a microsecond.

yes tinfoil is placed squarely on head while I’m out in the sun.

4 hours ago, CR said:

Did Leath give him that statement to read? I've been pumped about Greene but I don't get publicly questioning Bruce's ability to do things the right way. A simple "We continue to work towards finalizing a new deal with Coach Pearl and are excited about the future here" would be great.

Unfortunately Pearl put himself in this position with his lying to the NCAA when he was at Tennessee.

A new AD in such a high profile, high salaried job, makes Greene have to press hard to make sure, if he keeps Pearl and his current staff, it is because he is confident no other criminal or NCAA violations will be uncovered. 

He seems to be a straight shooter. That's better that previous ADs that say nothing but politically correct comments.

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Unfortunately Pearl put himself in this position with his lying to the NCAA when he was at Tennessee.

A new AD in such a high profile, high salaried job, makes Greene have to press hard to make sure, if he keeps Pearl and his current staff, it is because he is confident no other criminal or NCAA violations will be uncovered. 

He seems to be a straight shooter. That's better that previous ADs that say nothing but politically correct comments.

Agree though he is being just as "politically correct" and covering all bases and covering his backside too....which is the smart thing to do when you work for a state university.       He's not just talking to the media and fans......Greene is sending messages to people in the department.....hope folks realize that.

57 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't believe this logic. 

PEarl would be totally letting his feelings out through his own contacts that he is not pleased that his current staff will be let go when their contract runs out Friday (S. Pearl and Prewett). We have heard nothing about this.

I think we are reading too much negative in his comments to AL.com. 

I think he is saying he is not worried about the personnel contracts b/c he can remedy that with a quick action by Friday. He seemed to say that was minor and that he was more focused when he got involved with the future of the team.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I don't believe this logic. 

PEarl would be totally letting his feelings out through his own contacts that he is not pleased that his current staff will be let go when their contract runs out Friday (S. Pearl and Prewett). We have heard nothing about this.

I think we are reading too much negative in his comments to AL.com. 

I think he is saying he is not worried about the personnel contracts b/c he can remedy that with a quick action by Friday. He seemed to say that was minor and that he was more focused when he got involved with the future of the team.

You could be correct but I've never heard of a contract running out on a coach.....and the coach being retained.  This could be the first time of course but these guys make peanuts in the greater scheme of things and have little or no bargaining power.   If AU wants to keep them,  the AD or an assistant sends a letter with new salary and copy of the contract to be signed and returned. 

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Disagree. When AU hired Pearl, the Tennessee stuff is and should be behind him. It should not be part of any contract process now. From what has been reported there is nothing to show that Pearl was involved with CP and his issues. If there was , there would not be a contract negotiation going on. There would be a separation negotiation going on. As 64 said, it is almost unheard of allowing contracts to expire. IMO Green and Leath are doing harm to the men's basketball program by allowing this to drag on. BP is the coach, there should be no due diligence going about whether he should be our coach.

Sorry, if you misunderstood my comments.

Im not saying his prior violations are tied to his salary and contract extension negotiations. But his prior issues could be something that AG uses in his making sure that keeping his staff is a good thing. 

ANd none of us know what the AD or President currently has that might be connected to what the coach or assistants may have known regarding Person. If there is any dangling info that simply can't be supported, then AG is just being cautious and wants the staff to know there is zero tolerance now and moving forward.

And the contracts haven't expired yet. Let's see what happens after Friday and then we may be even more confused.

I think its been easier working to get a deal done between Trump and NoKo Kim than to get something resolved between the AU President/AD and Coach Pearl and his staff.

Literally the whole damn money making college basketball world is playing in the mud and our new leadership thinks after we have a guy who turned the worst P5 basketball program in the nation into an SEC title winner that "hmm maybe this is the time to start doing things in a squeaky clean manner even though nobodddyyyy does that"

Gimme a break. Extend him. If he did something wrong then fire him for cause. But we throw all the money we can at Gus who is not 1/4th of the coach that Bruce is...this is freaking pathetic.

We can find a bevy of other coaches to get us Gus type on-field results. There are only a few men in hoops who could've constructed the turnaround job that Bruce has done.

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Literally the whole damn money making college basketball world is playing in the mud and our new leadership thinks after we have a guy who turned the worst P5 basketball program in the nation into an SEC title winner that "hmm maybe this is the time to start doing things in a squeaky clean manner even though nobodddyyyy does that"

Gimme a break. Extend him. If he did something wrong then fire him for cause. But we throw all the money we can at Gus who is not 1/4th of the coach that Bruce is...this is freaking pathetic.

We can find a bevy of other coaches to get us Gus type on-field results. There are only a few men in hoops who could've constructed the turnaround job that Bruce has done.

Of course you realize that Gus is probably paying a good part of Bruces's salary don't you ?     BP seems to have a good contract with some years yet to run.   Other than Calipari, he is right in there with the rest of the SEC coaches depending on his incentives and such.     Just thinking ..... BP has one good year out of 4....so maybe we wait a little longer before anointing him.     JMO

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Of course you realize that Gus is probably paying a good part of Bruces's salary don't you ?     BP seems to have a good contract with some years yet to run.   Other than Calipari, he is right in there with the rest of the SEC coaches depending on his incentives and such.     Just thinking ..... BP has one good year out of 4....so maybe we wait a little longer before anointing him.     JMO

There are 22 years of data on Bruce Pearl's accomplishments and win/loss records from his time as a DII/mid-major HC all the way to P5 coaching.

Hypothetically, are you telling me if we had hired Bill Self miraculously instead of Bruce Pearl and he had the same exact results (3 building years culminating in 1 SEC championship in year 4) that you would say "well it's just 1 good year out of 4"? Self obviously has a national title, but nobody in the game questions or would question his acumen as a coach even if he had subpar years just to find a foundation. Just like nobody, except you apparently lol, questions Bruce's ability as a coach. His track record at every stop (this is not hyperbole) speaks for itself. Do you think he walked into a good situation at AU or that it was going to be some 2 year turnaround after a decade of being a joke?? C'mon, 64 you're not one of these microwave mindset kids!

And my original point was that there are probably 40 coaches in the nation we could find to give us the same exact W/L records Gus has given us and we made him a top 5 paid coach in the country. There are not nearly as many college hoops coaches that would have turned the hell hole that AU basketball was into an SEC champion in 4 years.

I am not at all saying give Bruce the bank. I'm saying extend him at the very least so we can get back to recruiting because otherwise we are basically putting ourselves on lifetime probation if we let Bruce go. And if we don't extend him he's not gonna have a very successful time recruiting and we have a ton of players leaving us after next season.

That's fine Tiger...I disagree with most of what you have to say about both coaches.....but it's an opinion forum so nice to have some points of disagreement or there would be nothing to forum about....

Archived