Greene Taking his Time with Pearl Decision

AU-24

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm not surprised by that....and maybe it's just me but I would like to have an experienced coach in that role....and glad we have hired one experienced assistant now but looks like we need at least one more.  

Our last package deal did not work out too well which means nothing in particular I guess .....but the risk is always there with family. 

Considering we won just our 3rd conference title ever, I’d say do whatever Bruce thinks is right and roll with it. No need to fix what’s not broke. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Considering we won just our 3rd conference title ever, I’d say do whatever Bruce thinks is right and roll with it. No need to fix what’s not broke. 

Hey...if it ain't broke, it sure is severely damaged. 

FBI calling on the school, assistant coaches suspended, two players suspended for a season, one top Assistant Coach likely going to jail and the HC in limbo while university administration wait to see if any other bad news is coming our way.   Winning one conference championship should not give a coach a blank check IMO.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Hey...if it ain't broke, it sure is severely damaged. 

FBI calling on the school, assistant coaches suspended, two players suspended for a season, one top Assistant Coach likely going to jail and the HC in limbo while university administration wait to see if any other bad news is coming our way.   Winning one conference championship should not give a coach a blank check IMO.

A blank check no, the ability to choose his assistants, yes. Unless there is new information the general public doesn’t know, the man has more than earned that right. 

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

A blank check no, the ability to choose his assistants, yes. Unless there is new information the general public doesn’t know, the man has more than earned that right. 

just noting that no coach ...not even Nick has unlimited right to hire whoever he wants as a coach.....but still wondering what SP makes in the way of salary and how that might fit in with other coaches with similar experience ….

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

just noting that no coach ...not even Nick has unlimited right to hire whoever he wants as a coach.....but still wondering what SP makes in the way of salary and how that might fit in with other coaches with similar experience ….

I think coaching salaries at a public institution are a matter of public record and can be found somewhere on the internet. Enjoy your hunt!

49 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think coaching salaries at a public institution are a matter of public record and can be found somewhere on the internet. Enjoy your hunt!

I looked but could find nothing that has been made public which is usually done when a person is promoted or signs a new contract....  Maybe a FOI request might shake it loose.....in a couple years..:)

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I looked but could find nothing that has been made public which is usually done when a person is promoted or signs a new contract....  Maybe a FOI request might shake it loose.....in a couple years..:)

Somewhere there is a list of what every employee of Auburn University is paid and that list should be accessible to the public. Now, accessible and easy to find are not synonymous. I wouldn't know how to start.

6 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

no news is good news?

Rarely when it comes to questions about college sports..... anywhere.......often means that folks are still trying to come up with a believable story.   .:)

Just announced we extended him through 2022-2023.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/060418aab.html

After earning its third Southeastern Conference title in program history, Auburn Athletics has extended the contract of head coach Bruce Pearl through the 2022-2023 season.

“It was a historic season for Auburn basketball and one that was matched by excellence in the classroom as well,” Director of Athletics Allen Greene said.

Over the past five years, the Auburn men’s basketball program has produced the highest NCAA academic progress rate (APR) in program history while leading the SEC with 18 graduates and three seasons of perfect APR scores.

“We take great pride in providing our student-athletes with an abundance of resources to help with their overall development,” Greene said. “Coach Pearl shares my commitment to ensuring the holistic development of our student-athletes and adhering to the mission of Auburn University as an institution of higher learning.”

“Our coaches and student-athletes believe in Auburn and we love it,” Pearl said. “We came here to work hard, make a positive difference on the campus and in the community and bring credibility and championships back to Auburn basketball. I’m grateful to President Dr. Steven Leath and Director of Athletics Allen Greene for their commitment and support. My family is blessed to be a part of the Auburn Family.”

1 hour ago, lutzcammed said:

ok I just read where his contract is extended which is huge.  what is the status of the assistants?

Another site (al.com) noted that the assistant issue was one of the final lynchpins in the renewal negotiation with Bruce, so sounds like it's just a matter of time until the announcement is made that the assistants are good to go.  

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/06/auburn_extends_bruce_pearls_co.html#incart_river_index

Increasing compensation for Pearl's staff, which ranked at the bottom of the SEC last season, was a key factor in the contract extension negotiations. Pearl recently hired Wes Flanigan as an assistant and brought on Marquis Daniels as a graduate assistant and though the contracts for Chad Prewett and Steven Pearl, Bruce Pearl's son, expired Friday, they are expected to be retained.

Archived