World Cup 2018

aucanucktiger

11 hours ago, AUDub said:

Yes. All three automatically qualify.

Wish we hosted this year haha. Seriously 2026 could be very good for us as far as roster.  Pulisic will be in his prime, and the youth we are building with the rebirth will be in their 2nd round of qualifying.  We played well in 94 while hosting. 2026 should be the year to seriously contend if we don't seriously screw it up as we are prone to do. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Wish we hosted this year haha. Seriously 2026 could be very good for us as far as roster.  Pulisic will be in his prime, and the youth we are building with the rebirth will be in their 2nd round of qualifying.  We played well in 94 while hosting. 2026 should be the year to seriously contend if we don't seriously screw it up as we are prone to do. 

Hear, hear. On all a dat.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Maybe missing this year will turn this into the catharsis we need to overcome our recent struggles. Get us to move on, you know? Seems to already be happening with all the youth we’re playing in friendlies. 

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Maybe missing this year will turn this into the catharsis we need to overcome our recent struggles. Get us to move on, you know? Seems to already be happening with all the youth we’re playing in friendlies. 

Agree. 

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

I'm not letting go of my over-reactive anger yet. Stop trying to make me. 

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Saudi Arabia... ouch

Didn’t even think Russia looked that much stronger for the first 70 minutes. Not holding possession killed SA. Personally I’m pulling for Egypt to grab the second spot from that group

19 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Didn’t even think Russia looked that much stronger for the first 70 minutes. Not holding possession killed SA. Personally I’m pulling for Egypt to grab the second spot from that group

Barely got to watch any Liverpool this season so I'm hoping we get to see as much Egypt as possible. 

And you're right, Russia is not good. SA just has no clue how to hold a defense together. Wow. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Barely got to watch any Liverpool this season so I'm hoping we get to see as much Egypt as possible. 

And you're right, Russia is not good. SA just has no clue how to hold a defense together. Wow. 

Yep, fundamentals and positioning were terrible, but they seemed inexperienced more than anything, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Saudis back in 2022.

And Mo is just too fun to only get to see him for 2-3 games, so I really hope they can get past Russia and obviously take care of business against SA.

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And yet the US team is spending June and july at the beach or somewhere......hard to understand that.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And yet the US team is spending June and july at the beach or somewhere......hard to understand that.

Indeed. Hopefully a lesson was learned and urgency is renewed. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Indeed. Hopefully a lesson was learned and urgency is renewed. 

Seems also that maybe we were playing in the "SEC west" version of playoffs where the power teams mostly reside....but out of 30 countries, sure is reasonable that we could qualify....but also maybe some bad match-ups in the prelims.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems also that maybe we were playing in the "SEC west" version of playoffs where the power teams mostly reside....but out of 30 countries, sure is reasonable that we could qualify....but also maybe some bad match-ups in the prelims.

There will never, ever be a good excuse for the US not to qualify out of Concacaf. There are reasons to drop the occasional road game because the stadiums we sometimes play in might as well be uneven, muddy minefields surrounded by extremely hostile enemies fortified by liquid courage and armed with liquid human waste, but we should always qualify.

But the current SEC West is a good analogy. bama, Auburn and nobody else. Difference is we by and large failed to beat the nobody else. 

Hindsight is 20/20, but with Mo Salah , Egypt may have been able to steal a win

He should be fresh against Russia and Saudi Arabia though

I'll be shocked if Egypt doesn't advance, even without Salah and even assuming that Russia benefits from friendly officiating. Although it might be tough to get up off the mat after that. 89th minute... oof. 

Morocco and Iran... only watching bits and pieces but haven't seen much to be excited about other than one crazy little sequence in front of the Iranian goal. 

Hope I get to focus a little more on the big boys at 2:00. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Crazy. Just watched the replay. Hate that for the player and Morocco. Wow. 

Don't I recall that a Colombian player did an "own goal" a number of years ago and he was murdered not that long afterward.   The guy from Morocco probably qualifies for immigration to the US since his life is probably in danger.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Don't I recall that a Colombian player did an "own goal" a number of years ago and he was murdered not that long afterward.   

That did happen, but he wasn't actually murdered because of the own goal. 

The documentary is supposed to be really great.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't I recall that a Colombian player did an "own goal" a number of years ago and he was murdered not that long afterward.   The guy from Morocco probably qualifies for immigration to the US since his life is probably in danger.

Also from that game, one of the greatest shots ever taken by an American didn't go in. I remember  the announcer saying that it was good that it didn't go in because if it had, the entire stadium might have spontaneously combusted. Or something like that.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That did happen, but he wasn't actually murdered because of the own goal. 

The documentary is supposed to be really great.

I was traveling to Colombia on business back in those days ….and recall some conversations among a couple of  my customers about the incident...and I recall that  Bogata was about shut down every time there was a World Cup match on TV....people crowded around the entrances to just about every little store watching the games.  No point in scheduling a sales call during the time any of the games were being televised. 

Just now, AU64 said:

I was traveling to Colombia on business back in those days ….and recall some conversations among a couple of  my customers about the incident...and I recall that  Bogata was about shut down every time there was a World Cup match on TV....people crowded around the entrances to just about every little store watching the games.  No point in scheduling a sales call during the time any of the games were being televised. 

Oh, wow. Interesting time to be visiting Columbia. 

I hear it's quite nice now. Would really like to go. Love the food. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, wow. Interesting time to be visiting Columbia. 

I hear it's quite nice now. Would really like to go. Love the food. 

I was down there a 2 or 3 times a year from about  1990-1997..... Colombia was very nice back then too.....temperate weather.   Oh...but there were armed guards on about every street corner and when you visited some companies they looked under your car with mirrors.   It took three levels of TSA type inspection to board an airplane,  the sidewalk outside,  ticket and baggage check area …..and the Sala when boarding the plane....and you had to touch and claim you bag on the ground by the stairway into the plane as you got on the plane..   Funny that all that security did not make me feel very secure......this was during the civil war with FARC.

Remember one of my customers (Ga Tech grad)  met me at my hotel in his new Toyoda Highlander....brand new and on it's way to the armorer later in the day.    I understand he was kidnapped and killed a couple years later. ☹️

BUT a beautiful country and nice people....for the most part.   

Archived