World Cup 2018

aucanucktiger

8 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

The international soccer community always feels compelled to call somebody "best in the world. But every era does not have a player that's clearly best. Michelle Platini and Lev Yashin won it mostly from media buildup rather than dominating play. Like the Heisman some years. Right now is such an era - Messi and "Chrissy" Ronaldo have been clearly excellent, entertaining players for a long time but neither have ever done much when not surrounded by phenomenal talent or playing against twinkies. Media are doing their best to hype Neymar as heir apparent but he needs to do something consistently other than just being Brazil's forward (kind of like a USC RB or U of Miami's QB constantly being on the Heisman watch...regardless).

I was a Messi guy and a very anti-Ronaldo guy, but then Messi missed a crucial penalty (again) and Ronaldo is looking like a god. And King Mo is not 100%. Maybe that makes Sergio Ramos the best player in the world? Shrug. 

As of right this very minute, it seems like Ronaldo is playing the best ball in the world. But, to your point, that could change today.

Agreed about Neymar. I don't see him approaching the true greats of Brazil just yet, much less all of world football. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well of course Messi didnt miss vs Iceland, it was a lethargic pk saved by a keeper that guessed correctly. Copa America - now THAT was a missed Messi pk. Sky'd it over everything! Only 4 players have EVER played in 4 world cups, chrissy is one of them and although a forward, he entered this his 4th world cup tied for 29th (!) in all time world cup goals. He did well against Spain's, er, defense then was back to his diving ways against minnow Morocco. 

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Well of course Messi didnt miss vs Iceland, it was a lethargic pk saved by a keeper that guessed correctly. 

It was a poor shot that didn't deserve to find the back of the net. He missed.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It was a poor shot that didn't deserve to find the back of the net. He missed.

Waist high about 5 feet to my right? As as former keeper I'd love for shooters to locate it there.

Just now, AUDub said:

Waist high about 5 feet to my right? As as former keeper I'd love for shooters to locate it there.

Several feet inside the post. Almost a 90 degree bend in that elbow. Didn't even have to extend the right arm. And it was a shot that really, really mattered. Messi's simply got to do better there. 

image.jpeg

Belgium looked good today.  Very fun to watch.  The Belgium striker #21 had a chance to score 2-3 more in the 2nd half. Of course they have #9 that had multiple goals today. They are a contender. 

Well Mexico is 2-0 and advances. hmc.gif Their defense has been outstanding though.  

Holy Crap! Germany ?? was a min from being all but eliminated before a phenomenal give and go Set play in the final seconds to give them a 2-1 win over Sweden ??. Wow!

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Belgium looked good today.  Very fun to watch.  The Belgium striker #21 had a chance to score 2-3 more in the 2nd half. Of course they have #9 that had multiple goals today. They are a contender. 

21 is Michy Batshuayi, a striker for chelsea

9 is Romelu Lukaku, a great striker for Everton and now Manchester United. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

21 is Michy Batshuayi, a striker for chelsea

9 is Romelu Lukaku, a great striker for Everton and now Manchester United. 

I just didn't want to spell their names ☺️  they are both very good. 

4 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I just didn't want to spell their names ☺️  they are both very good. 

Hazard played well too. 3 goals by 2 Chelsea players and a good showing from Chelsea goal keeper Courtois

6 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Hazard played well too. 3 goals by 2 Chelsea players and a good showing from Chelsea goal keeper Courtois

My team.............................Chelsea Blue

England put on a clinic this morning. Poor Peru. 

ETA: Pardon, poor Panama. 

On 6/23/2018 at 10:02 AM, AUBwins said:

Have honestly never seen a guy get as many chances in as short a time as Batshuayi did. Unreal.

22 hours ago, AUDub said:

England put on a clinic this morning. Poor Peru. 

ETA: Pardon, poor Panama. 

When you get thumped like that, you'd rather your name be forgotten. 

The natural and expected order of things seems to be reestablishing itself.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Have honestly never seen a guy get as many chances in as short a time as Batshuayi did. Unreal.

When you get thumped like that, you'd rather your name be forgotten. 

The natural and expected order of things seems to be reestablishing itself.

True on both comments. With Nigeria ?? winning and breathing life into Argentina ??, I would not be surprised to see Messi show up and win while making up the GD to advance. 

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maradona still very fond of the booger sugar it appears

He’s a great guy when he’s not slamming rails of that sweet Colombian nose candy.  

Didn't quickly find a dedicated USMNT thread but Matias Almeyda from Chivas evidently has an offer on the table for the manager position. Should have his answer in the next week or two. Some Qatari club has also offered him, and I would presume it's a lot more money. He's Argentinian.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't quickly find a dedicated USMNT thread but Matias Almeyda from Chivas evidently has an offer on the table for the manager position. Should have his answer in the next week or two. Some Qatari club has also offered him, and I would presume it's a lot more money. He's Argentinian.

He has a hell of a CV from his time at Guadalajara alone.

Archived