World Cup 2018

aucanucktiger

Watched some of the games today.  Both Argentina’s goals were great and they missed a couple of chances but the yin and yang of the contrasting styles with Nigeria was not enjoyable to me.

had Iceland/Croatia going also and every time I looked up something exciting was happening.  Iceland was really fun to watch.  I’ll have to watch them in the future some more.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Iceland was really fun to watch.  I’ll have to watch them in the future some more.

Today was the best attacking soccer they’ve played all tournament, and it was by necessity. Just didn’t have the horses, 

10 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Watched some of the games today.  Both Argentina’s goals were great and they missed a couple of chances but the yin and yang of the contrasting styles with Nigeria was not enjoyable to me.

had Iceland/Croatia going also and every time I looked up something exciting was happening.  Iceland was really fun to watch.  I’ll have to watch them in the future some more.

Croatia is easily one of the most fun teams in the tournament to watch IMO.

it seemed everything that Croatia and Iceland did, going forward, was positive.  Keepers were pretty good and the defense was kind of left hanging in the wind.  It was a fun game to watch.  I probably watched a total of 30 minutes of the 90 - off and on.  The other game was mundane.  However, I will say, evertime Nigeria made a counter, it was gripping to watch.  Musa down the left flank seemed to consistently abuse the Argentine defense.  Someone even approaching the skill set and speed of Ronaldo would abuse that area of the field against Argentina. 

I think Argentina is gonna get thrashed by France.  I mean embarrassing to the point of wishing they didn't make it out of the group kind of thrashed.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

I'm gobsmacked. Mexico gets thrashed by Sweden and what the hell has happened to the Germans? 

Still only the second worst trip to Russia for Germany. 

Sweden will be a tough out, Mexico could either win the whole thing or lose by 4 goals in the knockouts, Korea is young and will be good in the future, Germany is aging and on the decline

12 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I'm gobsmacked. Mexico gets thrashed by Sweden and what the hell has happened to the Germans? 

8 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Sweden will be a tough out, Mexico could either win the whole thing or lose by 4 goals in the knockouts, Korea is young and will be good in the future, Germany is aging and on the decline

Seems Germany had neither the veteran leadership (Schweinsteiger) nor the young hotness (Sane). Just a bunch of "middle aged" dudes waiting for someone else to do something. Kind of like Argentina minus Messi. 

Roger Bennett from Men in Blazers has spoken quite a bit about how much he enjoyed whichever Cup that was several years ago- 82? 90?- that England missed. While I will fight anyone who says it's good that the US missed this cup, I can see what he means. And I will recant earlier comments that there are no silver linings. It's still an embarrassing and lopsided loss, but it's not a shutout. Maybe a garbage time field goal, but not a shutout. 

I wish the U.S. could have qualified, but honestly we are just a team built for the next two or three World Cups instead of 2018 — kind of like Nigeria, they are still a few years off. But you’re right Loof, this has been a much different yet pleasant experience of watching. I really didn’t think I would care much, but I’ve actually become fairly invested in the teams I’m pulling for in the knockouts.

I just hate it all the games are during working hours.  I agree I have enjoyed the other games more since no one is a threat to US in next round etc. Mexico ?? can crash and burn though. Nice to hear they got creamed. 

Simply from the 4 minute highlight real, Germany had some really great chances ... I’d consider them more “unlucky” than having played poor offensively.  Of course that was just highlights ... and their D could have been really poor.  Neuer had some bad plays from the highlights.

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Simply from the 4 minute highlight real, Germany had some really great chances ... I’d consider them more “unlucky” than having played poor offensively.  Of course that was just highlights ... and their D could have been really poor.  Neuer had some bad plays from the highlights.

Been injured. Probably still trying to get his feet back underneath him.

France takes down Argentina 4-3 in the first Knockout game.  Game got pretty exciting with Argentina taking a lead in 48'. Then a marvelous onetime strike by Padua to tie.  Mbappe broke through and scored the last 2 for the French. He was torching the defense all game with his speed.  Argentina had a header in stoppage time to get to 3 and had a good look on the final opportunity of the game but the ball got deflected off goal.  Messi finished with 1 goal for the tourney.  

Forgive the spellings of the names.  Lol

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

France takes down Argentina 4-3 in the first Knockout game.  Game got pretty exciting with Argentina taking a lead in 48'. Then a marvelous onetime strike by Padua to tie.  Mbappe broke through and scored the last 2 for the French. He was torching the defense all game with his speed.  Argentina had a header in stoppage time to get to 3 and had a good look on the final opportunity of the game but the ball got deflected off goal.  Messi finished with 1 goal for the tourney.  

Forgive the spellings of the names.  Lol

That second Hald from France was amazing.  The pressure they put on Argentina, those poor fools just couldn't handle in any shape, form, or fashion.  But the Frogs have some serious holes in the back line on defense...

On the other hand, Uruguay's defending is superb.  Absolutely outstanding!!  It's amazing when a team accepts who they are and doesn't try to play outside of that.

Honestly, if there are thirteen teams ahead of Uruguay, I want to see them.

Uruguay looked good today.  Their goals were beautiful. 

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Uruguay looked good today.  Their goals were beautiful. 

That striker combo of Chewy Suarez and Edinson Cavani is top class. Hope Cavani is OK. 

Cavani is a boss, and I prefer him to Suarez actually. Uruguay looked good but France is just too good for them to handle if both teams play their best

Starting with second half of arg/France I watched most of the 2 games.  Was great soccer.  Best Argentina looked and they put up a fight.  Right down to a missed opportunities to tie in finals seconds.

Same goes for Portugal... fought till end but Uruguay was better.  I hate Suarez but the dude can play.  The back and forth between him and Cavani on the first goal ... world class.

messi made some phenomenal passes also but he just doesn’t have the talent around him the others do.

was fun to watch yesterday

Russia - Spain is an exhibition in tenacity. 

Spain is incredibly hard to watch.  I get what they're doing, but that plan just let an inferior Russian team get to the crap shoot that is penalties.

In Soviet Russia, penalty kicks you! 

Russia leadsin the third bracket. 

Archived