Heron Transferring to St. John's

Proud Tiger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comments on his departure message ...Auburn's best player..?   maybe ?  or maybe not.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Interesting comments on his departure message ...Auburn's best player..?   maybe ?  or maybe not.

Yeah I thought calling yourself the “best player on the team” was a bit much, whether true or not. 

That'll rub some people the wrong way. I hope it pisses Brown and Harper off to elevate their games to even more..

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Somewhere Danjel fell out laughing

I can't wait to see how Danjel has improved since we last saw him. The jump Harper/Brown/Anfernee made has me very optimistic.

Well....we see what he learned in the NBA evaluation session don't we/

Hate to see him go but I'm OK with him taking that attitude along to some other school......although I do recall BP saying that about him so maybe he took it to heart...kinda like........".I was my mom's favorite...  I know that because she told me so". 

I do really hope Heron goes on to big things in his life. I appreciate what he gave to auburn the last couple years. I really don't see how this transfer gets him closer to his NBA dream but if it was just to get closer to his mom and family then mission accomplished. But this guarantees he won't be any closer to the NBA after next season. 

I think the team is going to run a bit smoother next year with him gone. Offense got stagnant a couple times with Brown and Heron playing iso ball. Hoping we see less of that next year.

His usage will go through the roof which will ultimately help his pro stock IMO.

But Mustapha is not a bad guy, even though I know nobody is saying that even with his less-than-ideal comments as he departed. He's actually very mature for his age based on what I have read. Taking big time personal initiative to work with younger kids in his community and things of that nature. I think he created some sort of reading academy for kids in his hometown. That's very impressive for a kid who's probably just 20 years old IMO

to be honest there were several times during his days at auburn he did look like auburns best player. a couple of times folks would go in a slump and he would appear to carry the team. i am not mad about him and his ego. most successful people have an ego. if you do ot believe in yourself it is not often others will either. i wish him well and will pull for him at the new school as long as st johns and auburn do not cross paths.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

to be honest there were several times during his days at auburn he did look like auburns best player. a couple of times folks would go in a slump and he would appear to carry the team. i am not mad about him and his ego. most successful people have an ego. if you do ot believe in yourself it is not often others will either. i wish him well and will pull for him at the new school as long as st johns and auburn do not cross paths.

Definitely our most consistent player

I'd say he was the best player on last year's team. He wasn't the most important. That was Harper, but he scored consistently, he was a defensive hawk for us, and he rebounded the ball well, which was essential for a small team. Usually it's a better move to let other folks say nice things about you, but he's not wrong.

37 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I'd say he was the best player on last year's team. He wasn't the most important. That was Harper, but he scored consistently, he was a defensive hawk for us, and he rebounded the ball well, which was essential for a small team. Usually it's a better move to let other folks say nice things about you, but he's not wrong.

I also think I heard Pearl say on one of his radio talks maybe after a game, that Heron was his best player. So, I have no problem for Heron saying it. Plus he said some nice things about Auburn in his interview, so I'm not going to micro-analyze all of his comments .

He said he was the best player because he was, and because his teammates think he was. Why was the other thread locked about him?

Every team in every sport ever played has a best player, you just rarely hear them say it. Personally, I would have been more impressed had he said it during the season when he had to face his teammates than in an interview after he had already bolted but that’s just me. 

I appreciate him moving closer to his mom.

with that said-i hope St John's loses every single game they play next year. no reason for me to root for them.

I see no problem with his comment.  He knows he was the school's first five star as a big deal was made about that and heck Pearl probably used it as a recruiting pitch on him.  I didn't take it as a dig at Harper or Brown, those guys seem to get along really well.  And, to echo others, I'm actually excited to see the offense run without him, especially with the reappearance of two of our more dynamic players.  Best of luck to Mu, he won't win a conference at St. Johns, and I'm sure there are many more trips to the Plains in the decades to come as I think once the "hurt" of him leaving wears off (best wishes for hs mom), he'll definitely remain a fan favorite.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:30 AM, Tiger said:

His usage will go through the roof which will ultimately help his pro stock IMO.

But Mustapha is not a bad guy, even though I know nobody is saying that even with his less-than-ideal comments as he departed. He's actually very mature for his age based on what I have read. Taking big time personal initiative to work with younger kids in his community and things of that nature. I think he created some sort of reading academy for kids in his hometown. That's very impressive for a kid who's probably just 20 years old IMO

Shamorie Ponds was the leading scorer in the Big East last year. Certainly no guarantee Heron will be the best player on that team. I would imagine if he gets a hardship waiver, St. Johns could be a pretty good team next year.

Man I don’t think I will ever get used to seeing him in another college’s uniform.  This is probably on same level as seeing KD in a Golden State uniform (long time OKC fan here).

Having said this, I wish him nothing but the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Really hope to see big things for him! I went to the Auburn-Uconn game in Hartford in December 2016 with all my Uconn alumni friends while being fully decked out in Auburn gear (including my Auburn ugly Christmas sweater). I was very loudly cheering on Auburn and caught the eye of Heron's family.

They introduced themselves to me and we talked about Auburn; I taught them the origin of War Eagle and the history of our rivalries with UGA and Bama... Etc. I told them how much it meant to me for Auburn to get our first ever 5* recruit from 20 miles up the road from me, here in CT. They loved my enthusiasm and pure love for Auburn and invited me to meet Mustapha after our victory! The picture is hilarious because I am 5'6" and standing next to him, I only rise to his chest. He was the nicest guy, very family oriented. I am not surprised at all that he would move back up here for his mother. I wish her and their whole family the best! 

WDE

*Edit* I have attached the picture of us at the Hartford XL Center after the game. I think it was actually his mom who took the picture because all of my friends had left to go to the bar and drink their sorrows away ?

20180625_115515.jpg

2 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

Really hope to see big things for him! I went to the Auburn-Uconn game in Hartford in December 2016 with all my Uconn alumni friends while being fully decked out in Auburn gear (including my Auburn ugly Christmas sweater). I was very loudly cheering on Auburn and caught the eye of Heron's family.

They introduced themselves to me and we talked about Auburn; I taught them the origin of War Eagle and the history of our rivalries with UGA and Bama... Etc. I told them how much it meant to me for Auburn to get our first ever 5* recruit from 20 miles up the road from me, here in CT. They loved my enthusiasm and pure love for Auburn and invited me to meet Mustapha after our victory! The picture is hilarious because I am 5'6" and standing next to him, I only rise to his chest. He was the nicest guy, very family oriented. I am not surprised at all that he would move back up here for his mother. I wish her and their whole family the best! 

WDE

*Edit* I have attached the picture of us at the Hartford XL Center after the game. I think it was actually his mom who took the picture because all of my friends had left to go to the bar and drink their sorrows away ?

Good stuff man, thanks for sharing.

4 hours ago, CT Tiger said:

WDE

20180625_115515.jpg

Great story and your right that is one ugly sweater..lol

Good luck at St. Johns I'll be a fan for one year( the school colors are a little off, but I'll survive)best wishes to your mom          WAR EAGLE

• 3 months later...

Archived