Heron Transferring to St. John's

Proud Tiger

I wish there was some type of season long shot chart out there where we could see just how many times he flashed right inside the arc and took that long range 2 that inevitably never went in. Even though he was technically the team's leading scorer, I think that's gonna be replaced this season. We'll miss his rebounding the most imo. He was pretty ferocious on the boards

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but in light of Heron's hardship waiver being granted for immediate eligibility, could anyone in "the know" explain what his mother is going through? I have heard anything from "she hit her head and is dealing with long-term effects of a concussion" to "things are tough at home with his mom's health," as if to imply that doctor's have told her that her demise may be somewhat imminent (apologies for not knowing the best way to phrase such a difficult thing). Does anyone know what the deal is?

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but in light of Heron's hardship waiver being granted for immediate eligibility, could anyone in "the know" explain what his mother is going through? I have heard anything from "she hit her head and is dealing with long-term effects of a concussion" to "things are tough at home with his mom's health," as if to imply that doctor's have told her that her demise may be somewhat imminent (apologies for not knowing the best way to phrase such a difficult thing). Does anyone know what the deal is?

My understanding is that it was an existing condition before he ever came to AU and that it isn’t any worse than it was. He just wanted to transfer and they used it as a way to get him immediately eligible 

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I really liked heron but if he wants to be a pro then he needs to up his game or learn how to share. (Says the person who doesn’t watch pro ball ...)

I’ve seen that before ... did he perceive more or less discipline was needed and regarding whom?

He wanted more discipline as I understood it. I think team wide. Our offense Heron's frosh year, particularly down the stretch, was probably the most undisciplined and selfish basketball in the conference. Also guys kept making the same mistakes - like not cutting AT ALL vs zone Ds even though Bruce was having a heart attack over it during games. 

31 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I really liked heron but if he wants to be a pro then he needs to up his game or learn how to share. (Says the person who doesn’t watch pro ball ...)

I’ve seen that before ... did he perceive more or less discipline was needed and regarding whom?

I think everyone on the team had a big problem with Dunnans that year. And I imagine Stapha did the most bc they played the same position 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-the-top-100-and-one-best-players-for-the-2018-19-season/

Heron ranked ahead of all of our AU players in this CBS top 101 players article. Which I find interesting considering his terrible %s last year. Probably was the 4th best player on the team last season behind Harper, Bryce and Mac. But whatever. More motivation for our guys.

I've wondered if the big serving of humble pie he received from the nba made it very unlikely for him to return to AU. Back with those players that he believed he was so much better than but then found out he wasnt.

I never understood why a guy can't just play and get genuine love from "fans" . You loved this guy when he chose to play here. His mom has a condition he doesn't stay for whatever reason and now he sucks? Hilarious

No one has said he sucks.  Quite the opposite, at least from my comments.  I thought heron was absolutely rock solid.  Seemed like a great team player and was the model of consistency.  I hate he transferred.  

Personally, I think he handled the transfer well.  Even if he didn’t have the reason of the family illness, I appreciate the way he handled himself.  

For “fans” to opine that he isn’t top shelf nba or that maybe he might need some humble, isn’t necessarily a dig at him personally - more of his self evaluation as a player.  

Im a fan of auburn college basketball, not beyond.  I’d like to have a couple herons on our roster at all times. 

On 6/25/2018 at 10:51 AM, CT Tiger said:

Really hope to see big things for him! I went to the Auburn-Uconn game in Hartford in December 2016 with all my Uconn alumni friends while being fully decked out in Auburn gear (including my Auburn ugly Christmas sweater). I was very loudly cheering on Auburn and caught the eye of Heron's family.

They introduced themselves to me and we talked about Auburn; I taught them the origin of War Eagle and the history of our rivalries with UGA and Bama... Etc. I told them how much it meant to me for Auburn to get our first ever 5* recruit from 20 miles up the road from me, here in CT. They loved my enthusiasm and pure love for Auburn and invited me to meet Mustapha after our victory! The picture is hilarious because I am 5'6" and standing next to him, I only rise to his chest. He was the nicest guy, very family oriented. I am not surprised at all that he would move back up here for his mother. I wish her and their whole family the best! 

WDE

*Edit* I have attached the picture of us at the Hartford XL Center after the game. I think it was actually his mom who took the picture because all of my friends had left to go to the bar and drink their sorrows away ?

20180625_115515.jpg

5'6......dont sweat it........I would gladly trade you 4 inches for your zero body fat👍

10 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

No one has said he sucks.  Quite the opposite, at least from my comments.  I thought heron was absolutely rock solid.  Seemed like a great team player and was the model of consistency.  I hate he transferred.  

Personally, I think he handled the transfer well.  Even if he didn’t have the reason of the family illness, I appreciate the way he handled himself.  

For “fans” to opine that he isn’t top shelf nba or that maybe he might need some humble, isn’t necessarily a dig at him personally - more of his self evaluation as a player.  

Im a fan of auburn college basketball, not beyond.  I’d like to have a couple herons on our roster at all times. 

You're right about the sucks part didn't say that but people are definitely downing his character saying he used his mom illness to leave, he didn't want to share the spotlight and all that, which nobody here really knows it's probably all fabricated. The way he carried his self.

Saying he was the 4th beat player and served humble pie and all of that....just funny to me. Especially if you were a fan of Brown. How in the world could you not be frustrated with Brown but have problems with Herron is mind boggling to me

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You're right about the sucks part didn't say that but people are definitely downing his character saying he used his mom illness to leave, he didn't want to share the spotlight and all that, which nobody here really knows it's probably all fabricated. The way he carried his self.

Saying he was the 4th beat player and served humble pie and all of that....just funny to me. Especially if you were a fan of Brown. How in the world could you not be frustrated with Brown but have problems with Herron is mind boggling to me

Can you list your top 5 players from last year then?

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

1. Not Brown. If we just talking overall play it's Herron. Talking potential. Chuma. Scorer Herron. Just depends on what I'm looking at

8 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Mac

Heron

Chuma

Harper

Murray

33 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Omg. Yikes. Not gonna derail the thread but yikes 

Don't hold back.  It's a place for debate.

IDK how Brown's not in the top 5. He was 7th in the SEC in scoring just below Mustapha and one of our better perimeter defenders

Brown was both a better defender (best on ball defender on the team) and a better scorer if you go by %s and efficiency than Heron. I’m pretty baffled how anyone could leave him out of their top 5

I agree look at impact on team when Brown hurt his shoulder.  My order would be:

1. Harper - Floor General who could take on scoring role when needed

2. Mclemore - Rim defender and key 3 point baskets to pull big man away from paint helping others to get to basket. Tremendous drop when he went down might even be number 1.

3. Brown - Best on Ball defender and when hot was instant O and could carry team

4. Murray -  a lot of intangibles for him, rebounding, pesky defender, took the charge, scored inside somehow, probably our best post player

5. Chuma - As he reaches his potential he will probably be best of this group of players versatile played 3, 4 and 5 and could have played 2.

6. Herron - Scored and could carry team when scoring, solid rebounder but when he was out Dunbar had his best game. D was ok but not great.

Wow it’s really hard to rank the players on last year’s team. Just shows how much everyone contributed. Here is my list of just overall importance to last season

1. Harper. Leader made the offense go 

2. Brown. Best scorer when on and best defender 

3. Mcclemore. When we lost him we had no defense. 

4. Heron. Most consistent scorer and overall player

5. Murray. Glue guy who did everything. 

But i I can see ranking these guys in about any order and I think that is why we were so good last season. 

Brown being best defender is one of the more over used terms people say. He wasn't though. And the only reason defense worked is because Herron played out of position had he not been able to be ok to play bigger than his position we'd been screwed on defense with a back court of Brown and Harper on D. 

Also Brown isn't extraordinary at creating his own shot. He didn't really have the workload Herron did. But we'll probably see when the season start. I imagine it will be similar to when Bryant Smith graduated but we brought the same 4 starters back but it wasn't the same

But once again that's just my opinion I expect others to disagree but stuff everybody disagreed with me about a couple of seasons ago turned out to be true

Archived