Something to read and ponder about AU softball

yep, speculation on my part ... but they inferred, if not out-right stated in the article that Clint was backing out and the associate head coach was doing the coaching.  If that was the case, then they should have recruited players that could hit ... that could replace the ones that left.  who else is responsible?

edit: or teach the ones they had how to hit

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about a tale of blind ambition meets "family comes first". At least I finally now know why Clint quit. It's not far off from what I speculated, but I didn't quite understand the extent of his commitment to building the Meyer's dynasty at Auburn. Still, it's good to read that the girls truly believe that he and Auburn had their best interest in mind and, as was expected, there was really just one villain in the tail who, sadly, apparently still doesn't get he was wrong... and based on one statement, it appears his whole family, including his wife, may be enabling him.

The one thing that intrigues me most, however, is how the girls took it upon themselves to take him down, but there was no indication at all that they tried to support the girl in the situation. In fact, the writer continually describes her as being separated from the team both before and after everything went down. That makes me sad.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Talk about a tale of blind ambition meets "family comes first". At least I finally now know why Clint quit. It's not far off from what I speculated, but I didn't quite understand the extent of his commitment to building the Meyer's dynasty at Auburn. Still, it's good to read that the girls truly believe that he and Auburn had their best interest in mind and, as was expected, there was really just one villain in the tail who, sadly, apparently still doesn't get he was wrong... and based on one statement, it appears his whole family, including his wife, may be enabling him.

The one thing that intrigues me most, however, is how the girls took it upon themselves to take him down, but there was no indication at all that they tried to support the girl in the situation. In fact, the writer continually describes her as being separated from the team both before and after everything went down. That makes me sad.

1.  It's Myers.  2.  Wondering if that very good double entendre was deliberate or a result of autocorrect or something.  3.  It seems to me that the girls were not after Corey so much as the player herself.  " If she gets on the bus, we get off."  She apparently was not seen as a victim, but as a co-conspirator.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

1.  It's Myers.  2.  Wondering if that very good double entendre was deliberate or a result of autocorrect or something.  3.  It seems to me that the girls were not after Corey so much as the player herself.  " If she gets on the bus, we get off."  She apparently was not seen as a victim, but as a co-conspirator.

If that player received special treatment and playing time as a result of her relationship with Corey....then that would cause a lot of animosity towards her.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I was obviously very sloppy with my typing this morning. Thank you for the corrections. 

I agree that the girls appeared to vilify the other player, but based on the story, it seems as if she wasn't popular even before the truth came to light. Arguably that could be part of why she was an easy target for him, but it also plays into the national narrative that our youth need to be nicer to each other.  Had she been less isolated, she may not have been so easily coerced into his trap.

12 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

If that player received special treatment and playing time as a result of her relationship with Corey....then that would cause a lot of animosity towards her.

Yes... or if they feared that her actions could derail the team's success (which, ironically, their actions did, to a point). The thing that I don't get is, if they felt Corey was doing something wrong, why didn't they treat their fellow player as a victim? They acted more like they were jealous than concerned. It just seems like nearly everyone in this situation was wrong in one way or another... Corey was wrong for being a letch, Papa Myers was wrong for putting his son and his dream before rational thought, the victim was wrong for getting into the relationship (though she was likely manipulated to some degree, she still knew she was breaking the rules), and the other girls were wrong for being vindictive about the situation instead of trying to help their teammate see what was really happening.

Again, I hearken back to the fact that our youth need to treat each other better.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I was obviously very sloppy with my typing this morning. Thank you for the corrections. 

I agree that the girls appeared to vilify the other player, but based on the story, it seems as if she wasn't popular even before the truth came to light. Arguably that could be part of why she was an easy target for him, but it also plays into the national narrative that our youth need to be nicer to each other.  Had she been less isolated, she may not have been so easily coerced into his trap.

Yes... or if they feared that her actions could derail the team's success (which, ironically, their actions did, to a point). The thing that I don't get is, if they felt Corey was doing something wrong, why didn't they treat their fellow player as a victim? They acted more like they were jealous than concerned. It just seems like nearly everyone in this situation was wrong in one way or another... Corey was wrong for being a letch, Papa Myers was wrong for putting his son and his dream before rational thought, the victim was wrong for getting into the relationship (though she was likely manipulated to some degree, she still knew she was breaking the rules), and the other girls were wrong for being vindictive about the situation instead of trying to help their teammate see what was really happening.

Again, I hearken back to the fact that our youth need to treat each other better.

Since we have no idea what transpired between the rest of the team and the player that was isolated.......I'm not sure we can say the rest of the team was vindictive. No matter what happened between those girls.....Clint Myers allowed a toxic environment to develop within his little softball empire and student athletes were harmed in one way or another.

41 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Since we have no idea what transpired between the rest of the team and the player that was isolated.......I'm not sure we can say the rest of the team was vindictive. No matter what happened between those girls.....Clint Myers allowed a toxic environment to develop within his little softball empire and student athletes were harmed in one way or another.

The fact that they refused to get on the bus if she did is pretty much the definition of vindictive.  They didn't say they wouldn't get in the bus if Corey did... they singled her out.

As for Clint, his intentions towards the girls were good, which is evidenced in the fact that they still stand up for him and want to emulate him as a coach. He just couldn't see his son for what he really was. It reminds me of a mother in band, back when I was in school, who would insist that her daughter was the only one doing it right, when she was completely out of step with the rest of the band. Parents desire for their children to succeed can be blinding.

It just seems like nearly everyone in this situation was wrong in one way or another...

Nailed it!

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The fact that they refused to get on the bus if she did is pretty much the definition of vindictive.  They didn't say they wouldn't get in the bus if Corey did... they singled her out.

As for Clint, his intentions towards the girls were good, which is evidenced in the fact that they still stand up for him and want to emulate him as a coach. He just couldn't see his son for what he really was. It reminds me of a mother in band, back when I was in school, who would insist that her daughter was the only one doing it right, when she was completely out of step with the rest of the band. Parents desire for their children to succeed can be blinding.

You are making judgments and drawing conclusions about the situation ....and you know NOTHING about what happened between that girl and the rest of the team.  For all you know.....they may have had a good reason for snubbing her. We DO NOT have all the facts. It could've been vindictive and it could've been justified, but it's not conclusive one way or the other. It's still ultimately the fault of Clint Myers for allowing his troubled son to be a part of the program., and on Corey for not getting his problems under control when they surfaced in Arizona.

13 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Greene is cleaning house......

Looking that way.....wonder if that is all.  Also maybe doing a little overhead reduction at the same time.   Been lots of complaints about the size of the bureaucracy and a good time to re-organize too. 

12 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's still ultimately the fault of Clint Myers for allowing his troubled son to be a part of the program., and on Corey for not getting his problems under control when they surfaced in Arizona.

Corey's problems in Arizona had nothing to do with relationships with players. That was financial. Now, I agree that Clint should have acted quickly at Auburn and he didn't but there were no warning flags before hand.

13 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

For all you know.....they may have had a good reason for snubbing her.

There is NEVER... NEVER a good reason for snubbing someone like they did. Period. It's an immature and vindictive reaction. She could have been totally awful to every single person on the team and there is still a better way of handling it than playing the "it's her or us" game. If they didn't want to hang with her after games, fine... that's a personal prerogative, but she is part of the team and they are supposed to be grown women. They need to learn to work with someone to fix their differences, not pull some grade school level, "I'm taking my ball and going home" crap.

I have nothing against anyone on the team. I think they are probably all great girls. At the same time, their actions in several situations were WRONG (stealing her cell phone and copying texts was also wrong, and highly illegal), and you can try to defend them until you are blue in the face, but it's not going to change that. That being said, it's not entirely their fault. Our society has lost all perspective on how to handle disagreements and they were probably not taught any better.

Now feel free to accuse me of "mansplaining"... I'll wait.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Corey's problems in Arizona had nothing to do with relationships with players. That was financial. Now, I agree that Clint should have acted quickly at Auburn and he didn't but there were no warning flags before hand.

Exactly... and he did act quickly once he had proof. The problem was that Corey is his kid. It he had been just another staffer and someone had come to him with a complaint but no proof, he would likely had been more diligent, but since Corey is his son, his immediate thought is "my son would never do that" and to take his side. Then, when other members of the team also took Corey's side, he brushed it off. When he was brought proof, Corey was gone in a matter of days and Clint was broken. It's a very sad situation especially for someone who really had the best intentions for everyone... he was failed by the one he cared about most which, in turn, caused him to fail everyone else he was trying to do good for.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Looking that way.....wonder if that is all.  Also maybe doing a little overhead reduction at the same time.   Been lots of complaints about the size of the bureaucracy and a good time to re-organize too. 

Could be that Jenkins was in an unnecessary position, but I would also think that she might be collateral damage. When you have names all over the news, in a not so positive light, sometimes the only way to make everyone happy is to make those names go away. It's sad, because it appears that she was really trying to do her best to protect the students, but when the school is attacked, and you are in the middle of the fight, its hard not to catch some shrapnel. 

Pretty much agree with lionheartkc.  The lady had been working for Auburn for over 20 years.  I'm glad I wasn't the one confronted with that situation on the bus or AD's office.  Which of us would have made the exactly correct decision?  I'm not sure I know what it is even now.

There is NEVER... NEVER a good reason for snubbing someone like they did. Period. It's an immature and vindictive reaction. She could have been totally awful to every single person on the team and there is still a better way of handling it than playing the "it's her or us" game. If they didn't want to hang with her after games, fine... that's a personal prerogative, but she is part of the team and they are supposed to be grown women. They need to learn to work with someone to fix their differences, not pull some grade school level, "I'm taking my ball and going home" crap.

I have nothing against anyone on the team. I think they are probably all great girls. At the same time, their actions in several situations were WRONG (stealing her cell phone and copying texts was also wrong, and highly illegal), and you can try to defend them until you are blue in the face, but it's not going to change that. That being said, it's not entirely their fault. Our society has lost all perspective on how to handle disagreements and they were probably not taught any better.

Now feel free to accuse me of "mansplaining"... I'll wait.

Again....you are assuming a lot based on your own feelings and a serious lack of information. And yes you are mansplaining which is really unnecessary. I'm aware of what vindictive behavior means but I disagree with labeling this situation because we don't know what happened in detail. And FYI....those players are 18,19,20....etc. which means they ARE immature, and some are still teenagers. I'm sure you handled everything impeccably your entire life and can sit in judgment of girls in college even when you have no detailed information about what actually happened. If I felt harmed and betrayed by someone who should've been trustworthy then I can guarantee you that even as a grown woman I'd cut that person out of my life and not bat an eye.  That's what those girls appear to have done. I have no idea but there's every possibility they did feel betrayed, and hurt.

The only people who should be condemned for certain are Clint, Corey and possibly Casey if he knew and did nothing. I suspect Casey was also aware of Corey's behavior and chose to keep going anyway.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Mikey, not completely true.  Although, there were never official complaints filed about inappropriate relationships, there were insinuations.  Corey did allow a player to live in his home with his family.  

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Mikey, not completely true.  Although, there were never official complaints filed about inappropriate relationships, there were insinuations.  Corey did allow a player to live in his home with his family.  

Too serious an issue for insinuations to be used to support an argument.      JMO

58 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Too serious an issue for insinuations to be used to support an argument.      JMO

I suspect that ASU had no desire to air their dirty softball laundry with all the salacious details.  They got rid of Corey and that was that.

9 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I suspect that ASU had no desire to air their dirty softball laundry with all the salacious details.  They got rid of Corey and that was that.

suspect what you will....there is nothing to support your view and basically they just nailed Corey for moonlighting on ASU facilities....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

suspect what you will....there is nothing to support your view and basically they just nailed Corey for moonlighting on ASU facilities....

Yes I wasn't stating it as a fact.....but IMHO leopards don't change their spots. I just have the opinion that ASU took that way out to get rid of Corey and never looked at anything else. He didn't suddenly become a creep when he moved to Auburn.  That kind of behavior was already there.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Again....you are assuming a lot based on your own feelings and a serious lack of information. And yes you are mansplaining which is really unnecessary. I'm aware of what vindictive behavior means but I disagree with labeling this situation because we don't know what happened in detail. And FYI....those players are 18,19,20....etc. which means they ARE immature, and some are still teenagers. I'm sure you handled everything impeccably your entire life and can sit in judgment of girls in college even when you have no detailed information about what actually happened. If I felt harmed and betrayed by someone who should've been trustworthy then I can guarantee you that even as a grown woman I'd cut that person out of my life and not bat an eye.  That's what those girls appear to have done. I have no idea but there's every possibility they did feel betrayed, and hurt.

The only people who should be condemned for certain are Clint, Corey and possibly Casey if he knew and did nothing. I suspect Casey was also aware of Corey's behavior and chose to keep going anyway.

I always love how you accuse people of basing thing on feelings, then turn around and attack the rest of the Myers family as if they were conspiring to hand off every girl on the team to Corey as his own personal harem when there is zero evidence that Casey was involved and massive evidence that Clint did the right thing once he knew what the truth was. Your agenda is as transparent as glass... 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, AUBwins said:

Thank you for the story. A very long read, but a resolving read.  It is sad to see the true goings on during that time.  I am sad for the girls as well as what the Myers family was/is also going through. I am proud of the girls that felt the need to speak up, but also a bit disappointed in the way they sacrificed one of their own.  Family has so many meanings in this one story.  I am hoping the girls remaining from 2017 can find peace within themselves and that we can move forward as a program full of joy again. 

When I read your response I thought to myself.....cant be that long.........My sincerest appologies for doubting you?

Thanks for posting story......was it AU64.....First thing they teach you before coaching at the YMCA is NEVER pat a player on or near the rear end........sad story like AUBwins stated, " resolving"

Archived