Null



AU64

Something to read and ponder about AU softball

Recommended Posts





21 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Again....you are assuming a lot based on your own feelings and a serious lack of information. And yes you are mansplaining which is really unnecessary. I'm aware of what vindictive behavior means but I disagree with labeling this situation because we don't know what happened in detail. And FYI....those players are 18,19,20....etc. which means they ARE immature, and some are still teenagers. I'm sure you handled everything impeccably your entire life and can sit in judgment of girls in college even when you have no detailed information about what actually happened. If I felt harmed and betrayed by someone who should've been trustworthy then I can guarantee you that even as a grown woman I'd cut that person out of my life and not bat an eye.  That's what those girls appear to have done. I have no idea but there's every possibility they did feel betrayed, and hurt.

The only people who should be condemned for certain are Clint, Corey and possibly Casey if he knew and did nothing. I suspect Casey was also aware of Corey's behavior and chose to keep going anyway.

A couple of things:

You are making as many assumptions as everyone else you are accusing of doing it and it is ok.  That is why it is a discussion board.

I totally agree with your last two sentences.

I am not one to buy into immaturity as an excuse.   Not sure this is exactly a fitting situation but here it is.   The GA that taught my English class was a knock out(Casey Mize's GF is a clone of her).  Not one guy missed a class.  Needless to say every guy and even one of the girls would have hooked up with her in a heart beat.  We all knew that would be wrong but we would have done it.   It really had nothing to do with maturity.

Every college student/high school graduate, etc  sees themselves as an adult until they get in trouble and then some claim they are just a kid in hopes of getting in less trouble.  I made plenty of bad decisions and knew the consequences.  I made plenty of good decisions because I knew the consequences.

One last thing and this is not directed at you:  Part of the team without a doubt blamed the girl and the one leading the pack I have been very vocal about from the beginning.  They did not see her as a victim but as an opportunist. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gulftiger66 said:

I'm surprised that she lasted this long.

One thing you learn early on...when there are legal problems, you don't fire a key figure who could do you harm …...until things have been settled. 

Plus she had been at AU a long time, school felt some loyalty to her and she seems to have made a mistake in judgment, but was apparently trying to do the right thing....and I bet she had gotten advice from someone above her in the Athletic Department. 

22 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

They did not see her as a victim but as an opportunist. 

 I saw it that way too....and some folks figure that because she was maybe 18 or 19 or 20 that she was "immature" and therefore was automatically a victim......as if some young women don't know how to used their charms to get their way.   That's pretty naïve.   And,  it was just as likely that some of her team mates questioned her innocence which is probably why they refused to get on the bus with her.     Lots we don't know or understand about motives.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

A couple of things:

You are making as many assumptions as everyone else you are accusing of doing it and it is ok.  That is why it is a discussion board.

I totally agree with your last two sentences.

I am not one to buy into immaturity as an excuse.   Not sure this is exactly a fitting situation but here it is.   The GA that taught my English class was a knock out(Casey Mize's GF is a clone of her).  Not one guy missed a class.  Needless to say every guy and even one of the girls would have hooked up with her in a heart beat.  We all knew that would be wrong but we would have done it.   It really had nothing to do with maturity.

Every college student/high school graduate, etc  sees themselves as an adult until they get in trouble and then some claim they are just a kid in hopes of getting in less trouble.  I made plenty of bad decisions and knew the consequences.  I made plenty of good decisions because I knew the consequences.

One last thing and this is not directed at you:  Part of the team without a doubt blamed the girl and the one leading the pack I have been very vocal about from the beginning.  They did not see her as a victim but as an opportunist. 

I am not  making assumptions.....and I am not  labeling anyone as vindictive or as an opportunist or anything else.  Comprehension is your fiend here. I was presenting another possibility that could  be just as true. We don't know what really happened between those girls. That was my point. I made no concrete assertions about the team's behavior.

If you think a teenager or early twenties college student has the same capacity for using good judgment  as a mature adult, especially in stressful situations they haven't faced before....then all I can say is that you are uninformed. I have brought this up before on any number of threads in the past but it seems to be hard for people to accept because so many have been going by old myths that were established before any research was done. Science has proven otherwise. That area of the brain in human beings is developing well into the twenties.

https://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/The-Teen-Brain-Behavior-Problem-Solving-and-Decision-Making-095.aspx

I'm not really sure what you were trying to prove with your points....but doing something wrong even knowing it will have very negative consequences is textbook bad judgment and very poor decision making.

Clint and his sons were the grown-ups here. They had positions of authority and control.  They should have been trustworthy, but as it turns out....they really were not. That is the only thing we do know. And that is not an assumption by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing to take into consideration here: The situation at Auburn was far, far from the first time these girls had been around such circumstances. That's a fact of life. They weren't wide-eyed rookies about these unfortunate events. By age 17 they'd all seen it, talked about it and probably had some personal experience with being on teams where such sad things happened. That in no way excuses the behavior of the adults involved, but the players were not naive children having to deal with something they'd never before experienced. When they gave that girl the cold shoulder, they knew full well what they were doing and why.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this isnt an either/or thing ... there is blame alllllllll over the place in this story.  Everyone has a difference of opinion on who MIGHT shoulder what percentage of the blame ... but there was plenty to go around.  I assume it is universal that regardless of where you fall in your view of this sordid tail ... Corey bears the largest blame percentage.  I don't see any "group" that shouldn't, in retrospect, behaved at least a little bit differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

One other thing to take into consideration here: The situation at Auburn was far, far from the first time these girls had been around such circumstances. That's a fact of life. They weren't wide-eyed rookies about these unfortunate events. By age 17 they'd all seen it, talked about it and probably had some personal experience with being on teams where such sad things happened. That in no way excuses the behavior of the adults involved, but the players were not naive children having to deal with something they'd never before experienced. When they gave that girl the cold shoulder, they knew full well what they were doing and why.

I am not sure who you were responding to, so I may be answering this based on the wrong thread.

Ofc, those girls knew what they were doing when giving that girl the cold shoulder. But they felt they had no choice to take matters into their own hands when some of them brought this issue up in the fall, and it was dealt with little punishment for Corey Myers.

And the girl involved with Corey Myers, may not be as mature as some girls at that age. To use a blanket statement that girls know whats going on and should have known how to handle Corey's comeons. If that was true, then there are plenty of WOMEN who SHould have known what Weinstein was doing and stopped his advancements. 

Bottom line, there is no cookie cutter answer to the whys and should-have-knowns. To also blanket state that 'these girls had been around such circumstances' is just an opinion. I had 2 daughters who went to AUburn and we raised them the same way. But i can guarantee you, that one of my girls was far more mature in college and the other not so mature in being strong and confident to handle guys or men who might try to seduce them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Bottom line, there is no cookie cutter answer to the whys and should-have-knowns.

No, but when you have a group of girls who have been socializing with others in groups of 20 or so since age 12 and have been moving from team to team they've seen and heard a lot more than we'd like to think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.