Raleigh Regional

De0JbycXcAESfRa.jpg

RALEIGH, N.C. – Who needs or wants a Monday game, really? Apparently not the 2018 Auburn Tigers.

For the first time in 19 years, the Auburn baseball program will participate in a super regional round following a 15-7 blowout victory over host North Carolina State on Sunday night and avoiding a Monday winner-take-all contest.

"It's an unbelievable feeling. I'm still full of emotion right now. I knew what it was going to take to win this game tonight. It was going to take a battle until the last pitch of the game, the very last pitch of the game," Auburn first baseman Josh Anthony said. "There were a couple of times throughout the game I would just keep saying to keep their heads in the game because I knew that once we lost them, we probably wasn't going to be able to get them back in this type of game."

After N.C. State was forced to battle back from the losers bracket following an opening round loss to Army Friday night, the Wolfpack (42-18) basically ran out of pitching depth by Sunday night. After using its last quality starting pitcher in a 11-1 win over Army Sunday afternoon, N.C. State pitching coach Scott Foxhall was forced to turn to freshman left-hander David Harrison (1-4) and the freshman who had a 11.57 ERA in Atlantic Coast Conference, got only four outs in the midst of allowing four runs.

Once Auburn jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, N.C. State had little choice but to turn to All-ACC closer Joe O'Donnell for some form of relief but the fifth-year senior struggled as Auburn pounded N.C. State's bullpen for 11 runs over the final 7 2/3 innings. The Tigers got multi-hit efforts from Jay Estes and Steven Williams while Brendan Venter had his 11th multi-RBI game.

"Auburn has a great offensive club right now," N.C. State head coach Elliott Avent said. "We knew we'd need everybody available tonight. I thought David (Harrison) started out okay and was a good matchup for them with his changeup."

For the first time in school history, Auburn (42-21) gets through a four-team NCAA Regional undefeated after defeating Northeastern, Army and N.C. State by a combined total of 40-12.

Anthony, who came in to Sunday's game 5 of 8 with four runs scored and two RBIs including a solo home run against Army, continued his torrid pace with the bat by finishing the Sunday finale 4 of 5 with five RBIs. Anthony, who was named Raleigh Regional Most Valuable Player, is one of eight seniors on this Auburn roster who suffered through the back-to-back losses to Florida State one year ago.

"These guys, the whole lineup was just unbelievable the whole weekend," Auburn senior Luke Jarvis said. "It did just show when everybody is locked in, all nine guys, what we're capable of. To have it at this time of the year is awesome, especially going into supers."

N.C. State got some momentum and the partial Doak Field crowd involved in the fourth inning with a trio of runs but were unable to solve the puzzle of Auburn freshman closer Cody Greenhill. The Russellville native worked the 4 1/3 innings of relief for his fifth win of the season after Auburn was able to save its quality bullpen pieces in back-to-back blowout wins in the NCAA Raleigh Regional.

"I think we had a poor matchup to be honest because of the two relievers that we were committed to throw tonight were right-handed with good fastballs and these guys eat these great fastballs for breakfast," Auburn head coach Butch Thompson said. "I think we just beat a solid ball club that won 42 games and we have a ton of respect for them."

Davis Daniel, a former N.C. State verbal commit who has family and friends in the North Carolina and South Carolina area, finished the final four outs of the game to clinch the regional title.

Auburn scored in each of the first three innings giving fifth-year senior Andrew Mitchell six runs of support as the New Orleans native had his stuff working early by allowing just a walk in the second inning as the only damage. However, the control and command issues sprung up in the fourth inning causing Auburn pitching coach Steve Smith to signal for Greenhill out of the bullpen after just 3 1/3 innings of work.

N.C. State got the bases loaded in the seventh inning while down just 8-3 but Greenhill struck out Wolfpack home run leader Brett Kinneman to end the frame and what was the Wolfpack's final comeback threat.

Edouard Julien added to the offensive explosion in the ninth inning with a two-run home run, his 17th of the season and second of the tournament. The Quebec City native ended Sunday night 2 of 5 with two RBIs and three runs scored as he was named to the Raleigh Regional All-Tournament team.

In year three of his tenure of Auburn baseball, Thompson gets his program one step further than the previous year after the Tigers lost back-to-back Regional Championship games in Tallahassee. The last time Thompson coached in a super regional was his last trip to the College World Series as an assistant coach at Mississippi State.

"I'm extremely happy for our program because when you have a vision of seeing this over and over in your head, I thought it would be more and more exciting," Thompson said. "I've just been playing it in my head since I got the opportunity at Auburn and to see it is pretty neat."

Auburn will face the winner of the NCAA Gainesville Regional which is currently being dominated by No. 1 overall seed Florida but has been delayed to at least Monday night due to weather issues. Auburn lost two out of three games in a Southeastern Conference series on April 26-28 to the Gators.

This article is written by Matt Stevens from The Montgomery Advertiser

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-06-04/college-baseball-auburn-clinches-super-regional-bid-first-time-19

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Army takes a 1-0 lead after 3 innings.  I told you they love to run.  Army runner scored from 2nd on a ground out to 1st baseman who non chalantly underhanded the ball to the pitcher running to 1st.  The runner from 2nd never checked up rounding 3rd. 

At this small sample, I'd love to see our guys play NCSU.  That said, of course they'll limp thru and pull this one out and put up 10 runs tomorrow and look like the Dodgers

22 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Army takes a 1-0 lead after 3 innings.  I told you they love to run.  Army runner scored from 2nd on a ground out to 1st baseman who non chalantly underhanded the ball to the pitcher running to 1st.  The runner from 2nd never checked up rounding 3rd. 

Hopefully our bats remain awake tomorrow and we can save Casey for Sunday. 

Army is pretty fun to watch. 4-0 now. 

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Army is pretty fun to watch. 4-0 now. 

I was thinking the same thing.  They are fun to watch.   I hope they will be fun to play tomorrow night. 

NC State with a one out single in the B6. Comes to nothing as Army turns the DP on the next batter. Damn straight. State down to 9 outs. 

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Didn't FSU lose to the 4 seed last year too? ? 

Yeah, but they haven't lost this one yet. 

Army having absolutely no trouble getting their lead off batter on the bases every inning right now. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Yeah, but they haven't lost this one yet. 

Just making the (traumatizing) connection if NCSU loses that it'll be the second straight year the host in Auburn's regional takes an opening L.  Fingers crossed my superstitious self is just overreacting lol

Got dang what a steal. Caught him with the pickoff and he still slides in safely to second.

1 minute ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Do NOT walk a single Army hitter tomorrow.  Dang, nightmares on the basepaths.

Fast and fearless. 

Caught stealing there though, but Army stretches their lead. 5-0 at the stretch. 

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

How about Samford?  They are up 3-1 on FSU going to the bottom of the 4th. 

I'm watching that game. FSU seems a little shocked right now.

I don't know if any of you are watching the Samford-FSU game but this big freshman from Briarwood, Sam Strickland is dealing from the mound.  He is giving FSU fits. I think they have 2 hits in 4 innings. 

That NCSU thread link our NCSU friend posted in the overall tournament forum is not a happy place to be right now for a Pack fan.  I like their fanbase so not taking glee so much in their pain as much as I'm taking glee in their pain being our pleasure for this weekend lol.

Samford hitters showed up tonight....now up 4-1 and bases loaded...

Army needs to go to the pen. Control is about gone. 

Just now, SCTiger2011 said:

Army leaving an opening here B7.  Pack with runners on 1st and 2nd and only 1 out.

Walked them loaded now. 

Archived