2019 3* RB Tye Edwards

ellitor

A while back I thought we were pretty solid for Cain. What has changed that some are saying he is leaning towards LSU?   If you had to guess what are our odds on getting him as he seemed to be the perfect fit for our offense.  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A while back I thought we were pretty solid for Cain. What has changed that some are saying he is leaning towards LSU?   If you had to guess what are our odds on getting him as he seemed to be the perfect fit for our offense.  

AU has never lead for Cain. Been a solid 3rd. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do we led for any top RB's ?

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. Told we are trying to get back on the Emery kid for Louisiana. 

What do you think is the problem with RB recruiting, is it Horton or what?

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

What do you think is the problem with RB recruiting, is it Horton or what?

Some of Horton and the way Gus has run his primary back into the ground every year. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Some of Horton and the way Gus has run his primary back into the ground every year. 

Coaches at ALL levels of football are doing RB by committee to reduce wear and tear on the players and Gus runs the main guy's legs off. It makes no sense.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Supposedly top 2 now per Keith but likely a distant 2nd to LSU.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Do we led for any top RB's ?

To add to what WDE said, as far as top rated RBs there's 3 we like but are a ways behind the leader on 2 (Cain-LSU, Richards-Miami) & not even on the map on the 3rd (Emery).

With all that said however, I don't worry about RB recruiting. We just need a kid that can do physical work between the tackles. See former 3*s CAP, Barber, & Pettway.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To add to what WDE said, as far as top rated RBs there's 3 we like but are a ways behind the leader on 2 (Cain-LSU, Richards-Miami) & not even on the map on the 3rd (Emery).

With all that said however, I don't worry about RB recruiting. We just need a kid that can do physical work between the tackles. See former 3*s CAP, Barber, & Pettway.

Yeah, it just seems that with our run-heavy offense we should have elite guys lining up to play for us but for our propensity to run them until the wheels fall off. Man, I’d love to see what some of these 5* studs could do if we could just get them to come to AU. Production will likely be good regardless but just, damn.....

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, it just seems that with our run-heavy offense we should have elite guys lining up to play for us but for our propensity to run them until the wheels fall off. Man, I’d love to see what some of these 5* studs could do if we could just get them to come to AU. Production will likely be good regardless but just, damn.....

Well the just Damn is squarely on Gus & his RB philosophy. I'm sure he gets negatively pounded hard on the recruiting trail. I would do it & it would be easy...Well if you go to AU you will mostly only play if you are RB1 & you will get run into the ground. If you aren't RB1 you won't play much at all barring mop up work.

you guys with this stuff of Gus running his back into the ground need to go back in history and look at Bo's last year, 1985 or Hershel's last year.  I only took the time to review Bo's but in 12 games, all that was played then, he carried the ball 278 times or 23.16 carries per game. Kerryon, just for comparison last year in 12 games, SEC championship and bowl game not counted, he carried the ball 285 times or 23.8 carries per game. I can assure you any studd back thinks and should think he can carry the ball 20 to 25 times a game. In fact i bet you they want the ball this much. This theory of Gus running backs in the ground is AU people just playing into the hands of the competitors. Why does no one say that the great Saban ran Trent Richardson into the ground in 2011 when in 13 games he had 283 carries which was 21.8 carries or Derrick henry who in 14 games in 2015 had an amazing 395 carries for 28.2 per game and he is still going strong in the NFL. This is just a hoax and good AU people should not continue its spread.

3 minutes ago, auol72 said:

you guys with this stuff of Gus running his back into the ground need to go back in history and look at Bo's last year, 1985 or Hershel's last year.  I only took the time to review Bo's but in 12 games, all that was played then, he carried the ball 278 times or 23.16 carries per game. Kerryon, just for comparison last year in 12 games, SEC championship and bowl game not counted, he carried the ball 285 times or 23.8 carries per game. I can assure you any studd back thinks and should think he can carry the ball 20 to 25 times a game. In fact i bet you they want the ball this much. This theory of Gus running backs in the ground is AU people just playing into the hands of the competitors. Why does no one say that the great Saban ran Trent Richardson into the ground in 2011 when in 13 games he had 283 carries which was 21.8 carries or Derrick henry who in 14 games in 2015 had an amazing 395 carries for 28.2 per game and he is still going strong in the NFL. This is just a hoax and good AU people should not continue its spread.

You make good points and I basically agree with you. That said the trend is two spread the load as many people feel an RB only has so many carries before he starts falling apart. Even a lot of Pro Scouts will tell you that whether it is true or not doesn't matter as much as if the kids think it is true and it impacts their choice. You are probably right that we should not help other coaches to use it against us by constantly repeating it here.

12 minutes ago, auol72 said:

I caveat to this. 1980s football is very different from 2018 football. Most of the athletes are smarter in terms of body preservation & stronger than back then. It's not a hoax. You need more than 1 back that can carry the load, especially with AU in games where we get good running HUNH drives going. That RB will need a break in a future drive in the game.

29 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Because 1980’s football and 2018 football are very similar right? 

30 minutes ago, auol72 said:

1985 was 33 years ago so we might not want to focus on that too much, or anything before it. Sorry, took me too long. Others already hit on this. 

Trent Richardson has a lot to do with why people are moving away from that workhorse model. 

Derrick Henry is a better example. He's also a freak and a phenom and just a rare specimen. There will be exceptions, but as a rule, the sport is definitely moving towards a committee approach. 

Also, let's look at the top rushing offenses in CFB in 2017. We were 18th. Pretty good, except of the 17 teams above us, only 1 matched our 4.8 YPC- Air Force. All 16 other teams had an average YPC of at least 5.0. uga and bama were at 5 and 7 with 5.8 and 5.7, respectively. Neither one had a back with more than 223 carries (despite them both playing an extra game). Derrius Guice had 237 at LSU. 

I'll concede that Gus might not be physically damaging these guys with all these carries, but as we saw in the SECCG and as we have repeatedly seen with our passing game, our overall efficiency is lacking and we're screwed when plan A gets taken away. 

And to point back to the topic, it seems this recruiting cycle is showing that the top RBs are not buying what we're selling. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Well the just Damn is squarely on Gus & his RB philosophy. I'm sure he gets negatively pounded hard on the recruiting trail. I would do it & it would be easy...Well if you go to AU you will mostly only play if you are RB1 & you will get run into the ground. If you aren't RB1 you won't play much at all barring mop up work.

To be completely fair, each back since Gus took over has had only a single year where they were run into the ground.  They've all gotten a fair shot... it just helps to be a junior or senior.

The crazy part is when our guy is clearly tired and they keep trotting him out there for more abuse.  Remember the LAMo game last year?  We had a lackadaisical approach to that game and wound up using Kerryon deep into the second half...which was absolutely bonkers.  22 attempts in a game in which he should've had no more than 10.

good responses and for the record i agree 100% that Gus has appeared to be unable to adjust when plan A does not work. I also cannot possibly understand why we used the same Kerryon game plan in the SEC championship game when we knew he was hurt. If someone knows why we cannot make adjustments i would love to hear it. Just so that is clear i am with you on that. I also think against lesser competition we should work on the passing game and/or give our other guys some carries. But i cannot support what only helps our competition for us internally to keep saying he is running our No. 1 back into the ground. That only helps the other guys.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't worry about RB recruiting

Wouldn't call it worried as much as frustrated that we can not seem to land the top rated RB's. Considering the track record of the 3 and 4 star RB's we have had such great production from in our offense. I do think we will still be good running the ball no matter who we sign.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Trent Richardson has a lot to do with why people are moving away from that workhorse model. 

The workhorse model brings bad vision? I don’t get what you’re saying. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Also, let's look at the top rushing offenses in CFB in 2017. We were 18th. Pretty good, except of the 17 teams above us, only 1 matched our 4.8 YPC- Air Force. All 16 other teams had an average YPC of at least 5.0. uga and bama were at 5 and 7 with 5.8 and 5.7, respectively. Neither one had a back with more than 223 carries (despite them both playing an extra game). Derrius Guice had 237 at LSU. 

Kerryon wasn’t really a home run threat and he got the bulk of the carries. It would’ve been nice if Martin and Willis could’ve gotten more carries as HR threats but both would’ve been liabilities at times. We also really didn’t have a lot of RB options. We all agree here to add more quality to the depth chart.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And to point back to the topic, it seems this recruiting cycle is showing that the top RBs are not buying what we're selling. 

I question this as well. Maybe it has something to do with our position coach. Maybe it has something to do with Gus only relying on the upperclassmen. Maybe we are just not having any luck. I do remember when Emery pissed off the LSU fans by calling Auburn RBU though. Now he’s not feeling Auburn at all. 

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Remember the LAMo game last year?  We had a lackadaisical approach to that game and wound up using Kerryon deep into the second half...which was absolutely bonkers.  22 attempts in a game in which he should've had no more than 10.

I remember this as well. Had to work during the game so I had to listen on the radio. Our Auburn play by play men seemed to think that Gus was trying to pry offensive chemistry out of that game before rolling into Amen Corner. If I had to guess, Malzahn didn’t want Kerryon taking so many hits going into that game.

2 hours ago, auol72 said:

I also think against lesser competition we should work on the passing game and/or give our other guys some carries.

I agree. I do want more quality reps even if it’s not against quality competition. Albeit, I’d prefer for the vast majority of the quality reps for the underclassmen occr while our W game is already in hand. I feel like Gus would be smart to let Willis and Gatewood make decisions in the pocket and make some throws. Willis and Gatewood have already shown they can pull the ball down and run, make them throw some passes and read the coverages. Then on the sidelines, quiz them on what they saw, and then ask them if they felt like they could’ve done anything differently. 

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Wouldn't call it worried as much as frustrated that we can not seem to land the top rated RB's. Considering the track record of the 3 and 4 star RB's we have had such great production from in our offense. I do think we will still be good running the ball no matter who we sign.

As I’ve said a number of times you have 16 or 17 programs with rich running back history. It’s hard for everyone of them to get elite rated talent. Especially when you’re one of the teams that runs its primary horse more than he probably should.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

1985 was 33 years ago so we might not want to focus on that too much, or anything before it. Sorry, took me too long. Others already hit on this. 

Derrick Henry is a better example. He's also a freak and a phenom and just a rare specimen. There will be exceptions, but as a rule, the sport is definitely moving towards a committee approach. 

I'll concede that Gus might not be physically damaging these guys with all these carries, but as we saw in the SECCG and as we have repeatedly seen with our passing game, our overall efficiency is lacking and we're screwed when plan A gets taken away. 

Damn, Loof, I liked you until you mentioned that 1985 was 33 years ago. You couldn’t just let me kinda pretend that wasn’t the case, could you? Our barbecue get-together May be off after this....

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Damn, Loof, I liked you until you mentioned that 1985 was 33 years ago. You couldn’t just let me kinda pretend that wasn’t the case, could you? Our barbecue get-together May be off after this....

Don't put it off too long. The conversation's not going to get any better. 

Image result for grumpy old men gif

On 7/17/2018 at 12:22 PM, ellitor said:

Supposedly top 2 now per Keith but likely a distant 2nd to LSU.

Everyone is sleeping on Texas here. Still going to say AU is 3rd. We are dang sure putting a lot of effort into more RB's than we were a month or two ago. Which tells us/me that at we are way behind for Cain now.  Still a longs ways to go. 

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Everyone is sleeping on Texas here. Still going to say AU is 3rd. We are dang sure putting a lot of effort into more RB's than we were a month or two ago. Which tells us/me that at we are way behind for Cain now.  Still a longs ways to go. 

You just keep sticking that stake into our hearts huh?

Archived