What was your first Auburn game?

RunInRed

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first game I remember was the '76 thUga game.

The two things I remember most was discovering the magic of binoculars and my first experience with thUga fans out in the wild.

I've mentioned this before but after that ugly beat down of Barfield's first team I was playing in the dirt at our tailgating spot and some young thUga fans walked by me saying all snarky "bet you wish you were a Ga fan".  ....I was FOUR!

My first game was AU vs Chattanooga, 1972 we won 7-0, thought we were awful, but it was an Amazin's year! 

Auburn and Ga Tech 1976. Didn't win that day but I still had fun. Stadium only had lower level seats but it was still bigger than anything I had ever seen. I was hooked. From then on I had a visual reference when I had to listen on the radio. 

56 minutes ago, Roos said:

My first game was AU vs Chattanooga, 1972 we won 7-0, thought we were awful, but it was an Amazin's year! 

Slightly incorrect, final score was 14-7 and Chattanooga intercepted the ball near mid way through the 4th quarter with a chance to tie/win.  Their starting tailback was Joe Lee Dunn (former Ole Miss head coach, MSU and Arkansas DC and inventor of the 3-3-5 defense) who was 5'8" and 165#.  Tennessee coach said Shug Jordan was intentionally playing vanilla with only 7 different offensive plays.  Knew they would come out high octane offense a la Sullivan/Beasley the next week.  Beat UT 10-6 at Legion Field the next week,  the rest is Amazin Auburn history with the same 7 plays.

1981 LSU at Jordan-Hare. Dye's 1st year. Joe Sullivan among others playing QB for AU. 19-7 AU.

37 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Make that three of us...

My sister(3 years older than me) kept yelling, " BOO BUMBLEBEES". I was 5 and kept having to correct her that they weren't the " bumblebees" 

Orange Bowl game, January 1, 1964. Lost to Nebraska 13-7. Sidle, Fredrickson & co. Helluva team. That was two years before I enrolled at AU as a student. Sat four seats away from Richard Nixon.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Orange Bowl game, January 1, 1964. Lost to Nebraska 13-7. Sidle, Fredrickson & co. Helluva team. That was two years before I enrolled at AU as a student. Sat four seats away from Richard Nixon.

giphy.gif

Part of me is envious of those who grew up in the 60s because so many individuals of notoriety lived during that time, but other times I am like nah.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

Part of me is envious of those who grew up in the 60s because so many individuals of notoriety lived during that time, but other times I am like nah.

I was born in 60 and it's true what they say, the golden age of anything is your childhood. Sports especially for me. I loved the Wonder Years TV show because I could definitely relate to Kevin as a kid. I think it was due in part to media coverage or the lack thereof. At that time you were limited to what was covered on 3 stations. Grew up liking the Celtics and the Reds because that who I saw weekly.  TV made the heroes and villains. Now social media has made it possible for just about anyone to make the news. We're inundated with more bad than good. I wonder about the future for kids today when they will look back at the current times and think these are golden years. Scary. 

28 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I was born in 60 and it's true what they say, the golden age of anything is your childhood. Sports especially for me. I loved the Wonder Years TV show because I could definitely relate to Kevin as a kid. I think it was due in part to media coverage or the lack thereof. At that time you were limited to what was covered on 3 stations. Grew up liking the Celtics and the Reds because that who I saw weekly.  TV made the heroes and villains. Now social media has made it possible for just about anyone to make the news. We're inundated with more bad than good. I wonder about the future for kids today when they will look back at the current times and think these are golden years. Scary. 

So much truth in this post.

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I think mine was Nov 10, 1984 vs Cinncinati.... W 60-0

I think that was Bo's 1st game back from his separated shoulder.

October 7, 1978. Lost to Miami 15-17. Ottis Anderson ran all over us; he ended up having a good NFL career with the NY Giants. Very sad young man that day as I expected a win after watching us thrash UTK the week before....f’ing Barfield?

Archived