RunInRed

What was your first Auburn game?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

 

Part of me is envious of those who grew up in the 60s because so many individuals of notoriety lived during that time, but other times I am like nah.

If I had to pick a decade, I actually "grew up" in the '50's. (born in 1942) What wasn't to like? Elvis, Chuck Berry, The Platters, Buddy Holly. Where I grew up in downtown Miami it wasn't "Leave it to Beaver". More like the movie "Blackboard Jungle' but that was Ok too.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

2000 AU vs Wyoming. RUDI JOHNSON!! RUDI JOHNSON!!! RUUUUDI JOHNSONNN!!!!!!!

Body language says so much in football...it’s whats happening right now. It can change in one snap though....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first game was Auburn vs Mississippi State, October 9th, 1993.

Second game was a week later watching us beat #4 Florida in the rain. 

 

I was given tickets to both for my birthday that year. 

 

I've seen us play every team in the conference except Bama.... Well i should say I've not seen us play Mizzou or Texas A&M, but they were both added to the conference while I was in Oregon. But of the teams from 93 to conference expansion, I've seen us play every team except for Bama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DAG said:

11/01/97

We got shut out by Mississippi State 20-0.

I was working that day and listened to on radio........I feel for you.....that game was painful to listen to.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn vs. Georgia Tech on September 3rd, 2005.  Auburn lost 23-14 but it is where I really fell in love with Auburn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gr82be said:

I was born in 60 and it's true what they say, the golden age of anything is your childhood. Sports especially for me. I loved the Wonder Years TV show because I could definitely relate to Kevin as a kid. I think it was due in part to media coverage or the lack thereof. At that time you were limited to what was covered on 3 stations. Grew up liking the Celtics and the Reds because that who I saw weekly.  TV made the heroes and villains. Now social media has made it possible for just about anyone to make the news. We're inundated with more bad than good. I wonder about the future for kids today when they will look back at the current times and think these are golden years. Scary. 

.....and those 3 stations signed off at night........our version of Google was an encyclopedia.......I claimed Pirates as favorite but could name every starting Red in those days?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I was born in 60 and it's true what they say, the golden age of anything is your childhood. Sports especially for me. I loved the Wonder Years TV show because I could definitely relate to Kevin as a kid. I think it was due in part to media coverage or the lack thereof. At that time you were limited to what was covered on 3 stations. Grew up liking the Celtics and the Reds because that who I saw weekly.  TV made the heroes and villains. Now social media has made it possible for just about anyone to make the news. We're inundated with more bad than good. I wonder about the future for kids today when they will look back at the current times and think these are golden years. Scary. 

I grew up in the 70s. You were either a fan of the Cowboys or the Steelers, the Jedi or the Dark Side, Auburn or Alabama, the Celtics or the Lakers, etc....

We still had those 3 TV stations that you had to locate by going outside to spin the antenna until someone said the picture came in clearly.  We had Stretch Armstrong (toy), Evel Knievel, The Incredible Hulk, The 6 Million Dollar Man, Mash, and those little electronic football games with the red dots that went across the screen. Mine was before the passing. You could only run the ball, but if you could remember a few moves, you could score a TD every single time. 

 

(Edit: Sorry, that quote was misplaced. I cut it out of another post.)

Edited by johnnyAU
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I grew up in the 70s. You were either a fan of the Cowboys or the Steelers, the Jedi or the Dark Side, Auburn or Alabama, the Celtics or the Lakers, etc....

We still had those 3 TV stations that you had to locate by going outside to spin the antenna until someone said the picture came in clearly.  We had Stretch Armstrong (toy), Evel Knievel, The Incredible Hulk, The 6 Million Dollar Man, Mash, and those little electronic football games with the red dots that went across the screen. Mine was before the passing. You could only run the ball, but if you could remember a few moves, you could score a TD every single time. 

 

(Edit: Sorry, that quote was misplaced. I cut it out of another post.)

I cut my Stretch with a butcher knife to see what he was made of?........I also had the 12 inch G.I. Joe with kung fu grip....complete with seasonal clothing......ahhh the memories........ooooooooo almost forgot Super Toe?

Edited by kevon67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I had Super Toe as well. Also, the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle that you wound up from the side, and the plastic rocket that you poured water into and pumped in air with a small pump.  Hours of fun.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man... @kevon67 & @johnnyAU You guys are bringing tears to my eyes...

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who else was so eager to emulate your football heroes that you turned your K-Mart T-shirts into authentic tear away jerseys for backyard Nerf football games? I destroyed my whole wardrobe, but it was worth it. I was impossible to tackle (for the first carry or two) ?

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Who else was so eager to emulate your football heroes that you turned your K-Mart T-shirts into authentic tear away jerseys for backyard Nerf football games? I destroyed my whole wardrobe, but it was worth it. I was impossible to tackle (for the first carry or two) ?

Oh yea......I pretended I was O.J. Simpson, Bob Greise, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Grogan etc.....on more than one occasion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first Auburn game was September 28th, 1957 in Knoxville, TN. I was invited up there by a high school classmate from Nashville. It was quite an experience. We won the game 7-0 and little did I know that that day  was the start of our run for the National Championship. The stadium was Shields-Watkins Field then, now known as Neyland Stadium. 

Back then Knoxville was dry so if you wanted any alcohol to drink you had to go see the local bootlegger. That was also quite an experience. Had a great time watching the Tigers the whole year. What was really sweet was beating bama 40-0 on that cold November day. Great start to my Auburn experience.

WDE

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Yep, I had Super Toe as well. Also, the Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle that you wound up from the side, and the plastic rocket that you poured water into and pumped in air with a small pump.  Hours of fun.

Good thing is we can go to youtube and watch all our favorite commercials of our time.....we learn how many commercials Tom Sellick was in prior to Magnum and that a well built and actually quite handsome John Goodman was in those funny Skin Bracer commercials?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fredst said:

October 7, 1978. Lost to Miami 15-17. Ottis Anderson ran all over us; he ended up having a good NFL career with the NY Giants. Very sad young man that day as I expected a win after watching us thrash UTK the week before....f’ing Barfield?

I was at that game. I think every AU defender bounced off Otis Anderson as he ran for about a 60yd TD .

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Who else was so eager to emulate your football heroes that you turned your K-Mart T-shirts into authentic tear away jerseys for backyard Nerf football games? I destroyed my whole wardrobe, but it was worth it. I was impossible to tackle (for the first carry or two) ?

 

17 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Oh yea......I pretended I was O.J. Simpson, Bob Greise, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Grogan etc.....on more than one occasion 

Growing up outside Atlanta... William Andrews & Steve Bartkowski here, haha!

We hung around after the high school games and collected the actual tear-away jerseys from the bins.  Mom would wash them, sew them up and voila.... genuine tear aways in front yard football!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

 

Growing up outside Atlanta... William Andrews & Steve Bartkowski here, haha!

We hung around after the high school games and collected the actual tear-away jerseys from the bins.  Mom would wash them, sew them up and voila.... genuine tear aways in front yard football!

Just about in tears.....dated a girl for 4 years that lived in Kennesaw?..........met her on a hiking trip at Blood Mountain..........Drove from Mobile to Kennesaw 2 to 3 times a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AU -UF- 1969. Sat in the wooden bleachers in the north end zone. Buckets of interceptions by AU that day and first glimpse of Sullivan to Beasly

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DAG said:

giphy.gif

 

Part of me is envious of those who grew up in the 60s because so many individuals of notoriety lived during that time, but other times I am like nah.

Many reminiscing about the good-old-days seem to forget the horse manure in the streets.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Many reminiscing about the good-old-days seem to forget the horse manure in the streets.

Lol how could we forget........3 channels like it or not we were force fed Watergate.?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

.....and those 3 stations signed off at night........our version of Google was an encyclopedia.......I claimed Pirates as favorite but could name every starting Red in those days?

AwqXhW0.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now