What was your first Auburn game?

RunInRed

On 6/4/2018 at 5:55 PM, grandpajay said:

1958 Auburn 13 Tennessee 0

September in Birmingham.

Of course it was in B'ham we always had to play certain team in B'ham cause they would not come to Auburn. man has times changed

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/4/2018 at 6:21 PM, grandpajay said:

You are correct, 1958 and yes LSU won thanks to Billy Cannon. I believe that was the year that he had the return against ole miss to win the game and lost the Sugar Bowl to Ole Miss

Halloween night

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

1966 Auburn @ Florida, 27-30 in Gainesville, Spurrier's Heisman year.  Having grown up in Florida it was a really big game for me. I think Florida cheated but I'm not sure.  ;D

Steve kicked the frickin field goal to win it

7 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Very disappointing back to back losses........we looked horrible against Tech and Tech wasnt even that good in my opinion........Went to OK Diner in Atlanta after game.......was waiting for table surrouned by Tech fans.......arrogantly talking as if they were going to win a National Title?

I have to admit was my first time attending game in Atlanta.....loved the way the buildings set up a nice back drop at the stadium....and the Rambling Wreck looked pretty cool as the team takes the field.

I use to like you but........................................tech sucks

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I use to like you but........................................tech sucks

? NOOOOOO I totally agree Tech sucks fans as well........and sitting there that day watching us loose to a team that was not nearly as talented with a below average coach....:puke:

Technically the game where the stadium caught on fire against LSU... I was too young to remember though (3 years old).

The first one I remember was in 2000 when we played Arkansas. A lot of their fans kept saying, "get'er'done" and doing the stupid pig call. I remember asking my dad, "what's wrong with these people." To which he simply replied, "they're from Arkansas son they can't help it."

Oct 23, 1954 AUBURN vs. Florida State  - Auburn Won 33 - 0

Also that year my Dad took me to the Clemson game on Nov 19 - Auburn Won 27 - 6

1969 Florida.  John Reeves was supposed to be the stud, but threw 9 interceptions.  Sullivan dominated. I was eight years old.

Most interceptions thrown in a game

Record: 9, by Florida's John Reaves vs. Auburn on Nov. 1, 1969.
Buzz: Florida came in 6-0, thanks mostly to the passing arm of Reaves, who eventually was drafted in the first round by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1972. That day, though, Reaves attempted 66 passes and completed nine to Tigers defenders; Auburn LB Sonny Ferguson had three picks, and LB Bobby Strickland and DBs Buddy McLinton and Larry Willingham had two interceptions each. McClinton finished with a school-record nine picks that season. Auburn won 38-12. The loss was the Gators' only setback that season, as they finished 9-1-1. Reaves finished the season with 24 TD passes and 19 interceptions; he graduated with 7,549 passing yards, which was the most in NCAA history at the time.

On the way home driving out of the stadium, got to see Pat Sullivan jogging along the road after the game.  I was already hooked, but that sealed the deal.  Sorry if already posted.

14 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

UGA @ AUBURN 2000

I was there that night.  Really up and down game.  UGA had a 10 point lead, AU took a 10 point lead, UGA ties it and sends it to OT (Terrance Edwards BARELY stepped out of bounds or they would have won in regulation).  OT was the Rudy/Ben Leard show.  Fun night on the Plains.

1974 Auburn vs Tennessee. Auburn wins 21-0. In the 4th quarter, Auburn fans were calling down to Coach Jordan to have the offense punt on 3rd down. Seems Tennessee had done just that in a 21-0 win over Auburn the year before in Knoxville. Shug, being the gentleman he was, declined to stoop to that level.

Season opener, September 1990 vs Cal State-Fullerton. P.A Announcer calls planning to be RS Freshmen Otis Mounds out of stands to report to the locker room and get dressed. RB unit running thin and Dye asks where the Mounds kid is. Can’t make this stuff up. 

Also think it was Stan Whites first game as starter. 

39 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Season opener, September 1990 vs Cal State-Fullerton. P.A Announcer calls planning to be RS Freshmen Otis Mounds out of stands to report to the locker room and get dressed. RB unit running thin and Dye asks where the Mounds kid is. Can’t make this stuff up. 

Also think it was Stan Whites first game as starter. 

You wouldn't, by any chance, remember what color uniforms they wore?

Just asking for a friend.

4 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

1974 Auburn vs Tennessee. Auburn wins 21-0. In the 4th quarter, Auburn fans were calling down to Coach Jordan to have the offense punt on 3rd down. Seems Tennessee had done just that in a 21-0 win over Auburn the year before in Knoxville. Shug, being the gentleman he was, declined to stoop to that level.

nailed it

5 September 1987 vs Texas with Eric Metcalf, man that dude was fast.  AU 31 - 3

Auburn won SEC that year, Dye went for the field goal in the Sugar Bowl against Syracuse.

On offense we had names like Jeff Burger, Reggie Ware, Stacy Danley, James Joseph, Lawyer Tillman, Duke Donaldson, Walter Reeves, Freddy Weygand, Stacy Searls.

Defense we had names like Tracy Rocker, Ron Stallworth, Aundray Bruce, Kurt Crain, Quentin Riggins, Kurt Ogletree, Kevin Porter

and Win Lyle

That team was loaded

5 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

You wouldn't, by any chance, remember what color uniforms they wore?

Just asking for a friend.

Sorry, do not. Spent most of the game roaming around enjoying the “scenery” as many a red blooded, 17 year old kid would do. Paid very little attention to the game now that I think about it. :) Good times though. 

23 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Sorry, do not. Spent most of the game roaming around enjoying the “scenery” as many a red blooded, 17 year old kid would do. Paid very little attention to the game now that I think about it. :) Good times though. 

Season opener. Bet it was warm that day. Clothing has a well known aversion to heat. 

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:
22 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

nailed it

And that's why I love Auburn football. A tradition of class that continues today. (we'll give Tubbs a pass for that one cigar incident)

Think we discussed this some time back but my first game was AU-Clemson in Mobile....think 1953....and AU vs Tulane down there was the next.  

I never saw a game on the AU campus until I enrolled in June 1959.....in fact I never had seen the AU campus until my parents dropped me off in front of Mag Hall and headed back to Mobile.  Hardly ever missed an AU game while I was there and made road trips as often as I could find a ride...Miss State, Georgia, Tennessee ...and games in B'ham during the 1960s.  Great times....student tickers were reserved seats and cost ONE DOLLAR....'

11/18/1989

Auburn vs UGA in Athens. 20-3 good guys. My dad took me. He's a die hard UGA fan. I've been a Dye hard AU fan since the age of 5, even growing up just north of Athens, GA.

WDE!

12 hours ago, doug3020 said:

11/18/1989

Auburn vs UGA in Athens. 20-3 good guys. My dad took me. He's a die hard UGA fan. I've been a Dye hard AU fan since the age of 5, even growing up just north of Athens, GA.

WDE!

Something about sons picking up their dad's rival as their favorite team.....my son has been a bama since he was about 8 or 10 ...guess that is a kid's way of rebelling against a parent in a manner that won't get him spanked or grounded....

23 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Something about sons picking up their dad's rival as their favorite team.....my son has been a bama since he was about 8 or 10 ...guess that is a kid's way of rebelling against a parent in a manner that won't get him spanked or grounded....

Happens?

Mostly raising my kids in Tloosa, I ended up ended up w./ a Crimson-veined daughter and a son who would rather eat a bug than watch football.

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Have you had him tested? It could be a tumor...

Archived