What was your first Auburn game?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

http://football.stassen.c

Let's try it this way, my previous link didn't work.

Click here http://football.stassen.com/records/

Then scroll down a little and choose "All opponent records"

Then fill in "Auburn"

Then scroll down to "Tennessee-Chatanooga"

Maybe your former boss had enough bammer in him to have the paper made up. I remember being in New Orleans one time and you could get about any page you wanted printed for a small price. I'm not saying this source is infallible but I'd put it up against something a bammer saved to rag on people with.

Maybe it was a Dewy-Truman thing. Maybe AL.com's history goes back to a bama biased newspaper who saw Auburn was losing in the 1st quarter, wrote their negative article about our defeat, and then high-tailed it to T-Town to be with his people.

Incidentally, Winsipedia backs up Stassen on the 21-0-0 record against the Mocs.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, augolf1716 said:

My Dad/Mom were huge turd fans even took me to see bama before my first Auburn game. I got a Joe Namath autograph still have the damn thing somewhere. My uncle had graduated from bama in 1939 and all the family just assumed I would go to bama and play golf. When I went to Auburn both ofmy parents saw the light and changed into big Auburn fans

When I was a boy I attended a golf exhibition which hosted Bear Bryant, Steve Sloan and Bobby Nichols.  I was thrilled when all 3 signed my autograph sheet.  When I came across it as an adult I wasn't so thrilled so I gave it away.  If SS hadn't been such a butt and signed over BN's signature I would've clipped and kept his. 

If you happen to come across Namath's signature,  you might want to burn it, preferably in the presence of a flaming UpDyke.

WDE !!!

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

When I was a boy I attended a golf exhibition which hosted Bear Bryant, Steve Sloan and Bobby Nichols.  I was thrilled when all 3 signed my autograph sheet.  When I came across it as an adult I wasn't so thrilled so I gave it away.  If SS hadn't been such a butt and signed over BN's signature I would've clipped and kept his. 

If you happen to come across Namath's signature,  you might want to burn it, preferably in the presence of a flaming UpDyke.

WDE !!!

I have one my Dad got

What's up everybody? Just got back from Africa and getting caught up on here. 

My first Auburn game will be the Iron Bowl this year!!! I will be in row 3 FF(excuse me if i typed it wrong). I will be attending with wife(Notre Dame fan. Maybe this will change her heathen ways), my Dad (Bama fan, but roots for Auburn other than the Iron Bowl), and my brother-in-law. 

It will be my first Auburn game ever. And also my Dads first Alabama game ever. And just happens to be the Iron Bowl. 

17 minutes ago, far_away_fan said:

What's up everybody? Just got back from Africa and getting caught up on here. 

My first Auburn game will be the Iton Bowl this year!!! I will be in row 3 FF(excuse me if i typed it wrong). I will be attending with wife(Notre Dame fan. Maybe this will change her heathen ways), my Dad (Bama fan, but roots for Auburn other than the Irin Bowl), and my brother-in-law. 

It will be my first Auburn game ever. And also my Dads first Alabama game ever. And just happens to be the Iron Bowl. 

Just to bad its at bammer land stadium but hope it turns out great for you

October 15, 1966 Auburn vs Tech at Legion Field on a rainy Saturday. Larry Blakeney was a sophomore and starting quarterback that year. Think we lost 17-3. Coach Jordan elected to punt on third down about every time. Given the weather conditions he said he felt better about our defense scoring than the offense.

7 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

October 15, 1966 Auburn vs Tech at Legion Field on a rainy Saturday. Larry Blakeney was a sophomore and starting quarterback that year. Think we lost 17-3. Coach Jordan elected to punt on third down about every time. Given the weather conditions he said he felt better about our defense scoring than the offense.

Was at that game as well.......did I ever tell ya'll I hate ga tech

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I think you have have. A rivalry that a lot of miss. Different era and much more enjoyable imho.

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I will never forget that game as long as I am on this earth. Me and a fellow Marine flight instructor flew up to Bham from Pensacola just for that game. I was so mad at Shug  that day for punting on third down every time we had the ball I could have shot him, after all it was raining on Tech also. At one point we were on Tech's thirty something yard line and Shug punted on third down.!!! The "boos" from Auburn fans, including myself, was deafening. The next series Shug ran three more mud plays and then punted. Unbelievable, Shug actually gave me a tension headache that day. Totally senseless. The final score that day, Tech  17, Auburn 3. It was a long flight back to Pensacola.

WDE

I think it was sometime around 2000 for me. So my memory's not good enough.

What I remember as my first game against an SEC opponent was against Ole Miss in 2005. We had just suffered the heartbreaking five missed field goals loss to LSU. Fairly ho-hum game that we were never in any serious danger of losing.

Games I can remember attending:

2004: Louisiana-Monroe, Citadel, Louisiana Tech (lame, I know)

2005: Georgia Tech, Western Kentucky, Ole Miss

2006: Buffalo, Arkansas State (again, lame, I know)

2007: Kansas State, Vanderbilt, Tennessee Tech

2008: Louisiana-Monroe

2009: Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Ball State, Furman

2010: Every home game except Arkansas (had a cold)

2011: Florida, Ole Miss, Samford

2013: Every home game :)

2014: Arkansas, San Jose State, LSU, South Carolina, Texas A&M ?

Haven't been able to attend a game since (scheduling/location conflicts).

My first Auburn game was 2006 Arkansas State.

Other games I've went to:

2008 Arkansas

2009 Ole Miss

2010 Arkansas State, Arkansas(this was the last game I've been to)

1980 Tennessee 42-0. I was an Alabama fan at the time and it was the first time I had seen the campus. Had no idea I would be an Auburn student the following year. A great twist of fate.

44 minutes ago, The lions roar said:

1980 Tennessee 42-0. I was an Alabama fan at the time and it was the first time I had seen the campus. Had no idea I would be an Auburn student the following year. A great twist of fate.

Interesting.  I know we wouldn't get an answer on either team/school's boards but I'd be curious to know the % of bammers who convert to the good guys after seeing the campus & people vs Auburn fans who convert to the dark side after the same.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, augolf1716 said:

My brother and I were at that game as well.   We had great seats on the 45 yard line on the first row of the upper deck.  Or at least we thought they were great until the rain was coming down in buckets and all the drains stopped up and the water was over our ankles.   A drunk Bama fan almost passed out and fell over and draped himself on our umbrella.     And Auburn lost.

37 minutes ago, Tigermike said:

My brother and I were at that game as well.   We had great seats on the 45 yard line on the first row of the upper deck.  Or at least we thought they were great until the rain was coming down in buckets and all the drains stopped up and the water was over our ankles.   A drunk Bama fan almost passed out and fell over and draped himself on our umbrella.     And Auburn lost.

Happen to me a few times at Legion Field

My first Auburn game, my Dad took me to see the 1973 Auburn versus Oregon State opener in Birmingham at Legion Field. It was part of a double header with Alabama playing earlier in the day against California. Auburn won 18-9 I think. My Dad bought me a blue felt hat with an orange A on the front and an orange feather on the side.LOL! I was also at that 1980 Auburn/Georgia game. That was the last time Auburn wore Orange jerseys. Georgia won 31-21, but I got to see Herschel Walker and James Brooks.

On 6/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, SaltyTiger said:

My classmate, DB Hank Hall, had a Tech pass hit him right in the chest and he dropped what should have been a pick 6. First thing he said to me Monday morning before class was "That damn ball was slippery as owl sh**!" Best laugh I'd had since the final, soaking wet whistle.

I can’t remember my first game (early 80s as a very small child), but the game where my fandom turned into a lifelong passion was in Oct. 1990 vs FSU.  As a 13 year old boy, I watched this AUsome come back with a game winning FG as time expired against a top 5 team!  It was also the first time I bought a pizza from a guy on a bicycle (I thought that was so cool at the time).  I loved yelling “War Eagle” to total strangers who I knew shared a very special bond with me.  We celebrated until the wee hours of the morning.  It was a wonderful, life changing experience for me!

Just as a nod to Father's Day, my last game with my Dad was in 1992 at home vs UGA.  Unfortunately that game ended with a L as the seconds ticked away as we were about to snap it on the 1 yd line or so going in for the W.   I'll never forget that one. 

Man I hate UGA. 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:50 AM, Roos said:

My first game was AU vs Chattanooga, 1972 we won 7-0, thought we were awful, but it was an Amazin's year! 

14-7, I believe.

1983 vs Texas.  We lost 20-7, the only game we lost that year and we should have won the national championship.  Also attended the Maryland game (Boomer Esiason was QB) and went to Athens for the UGA game that year.

• 2 weeks later...

I turned 6 on https://www.onthisday.com/date/1948/december/4 and was present at the first "Iron Bowl" since https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl 1906. It was cold and I don't remember the first thing about the game. But I was there! Bama won. Big time! It would have been on into the 1950s before I knew enough to enjoy a game, but I'm not sure of the actual date. Most of the memorable Iron Bowls have been courtesy of TV and the last one I can remember being at was at Legion Field. I'm pretty sure that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_Bama_Punt was one I saw on TV but it was the most exciting one I can recall seeing -- until (of course) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l68ORsNYqE

1980 IB for me.   First college game I ever went to.   Couldn't believe how fast James Brooks was.   AU lost, Bammer had a much better team, unfortunately.

13 hours ago, BeasFan said:

I turned 6 on https://www.onthisday.com/date/1948/december/4 and was present at the first "Iron Bowl" since https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Bowl 1906. It was cold and I don't remember the first thing about the game. But I was there! Bama won. Big time! It would have been on into the 1950s before I knew enough to enjoy a game, but I'm not sure of the actual date. Most of the memorable Iron Bowls have been courtesy of TV and the last one I can remember being at was at Legion Field. I'm pretty sure that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_Bama_Punt was one I saw on TV but it was the most exciting one I can recall seeing -- until (of course) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l68ORsNYqE

10 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

1980 IB for me.   First college game I ever went to.   Couldn't believe how fast James Brooks was.   AU lost, Bammer had a much better team, unfortunately.

I too remember the 1948 game. I was 9 and within a month of being 10 but because of us not playing bama on a regular basis  I had no idea what the rivalry was all about.What I do remember is how the Auburn students reacted after the game. As a lot of families did back then my folks and I went out to dinner and a movie. We went to Britlings on 20th street in downtown Bham  and then went to the Alabama theater and saw "Casablanca". During all this time I kept hearing "War Eagle" all over the place, in the restaurant, on the street corners and even in the theater. I don't remember hearing one "roll tide" although I am sure there were a few. The next morning I saw in the Bham news that bama beat us 55-0. My only thought was how would the Auburn fan base react when we won one. Well  1957 was my first year at API/AU and we won 40-0, in fact we won 'em all and had our first NC. and that  folks is why I chose Auburn over bama and have never regretted my decision.

WDE!!!

Archived