What was your first Auburn game?

RunInRed

On 6/3/2018 at 11:17 AM, imaolgatiger said:

1983 Auburn vs. Florida State...we won 27-24.

truth. me and one of my old bands played the lanette holiday inn in the buckskin lounge that weekend and it was ninetyfive percent fsu fans. not sure about now but back then the fsu fans were pretty nice.....

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, im4aual said:

1970 Auburn vs Georgia Tech, Auburn won 35-20.  First time the Tech game was played in Auburn.

what about the auburn students greasing the railroad tracks? i thought that was like the fifties or something?

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:43 AM, yngwie1995 said:

First one I remember is vs Wake Forest. We lost, so it must have been 1981. 

Same here.

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

what about the auburn students greasing the railroad tracks? i thought that was like the fifties or something?

As I posted earlier that event actually happened on November 7th, 1896 but the Wreck Tech pajama parade in Auburn  went on every year until we quit playing Tech on a regular yearly basis. FWIW

WDE

Tennessee vs. Auburn 1990. Marched in with my Sousaphone in hand and was blown away so much I missed my mark. The assistant band director chewed me a new one. 

Game ended in a #$*_!@*%_! tie at 26 a piece. Tennessee would break the tie a year later in Neyland. 

15 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Was this the year we lost to USC and Georgia Tech? If so it was hot hot hotter than hell in Atlanta for the Tech game.

It was... I wasn't at the Tech Game... just flew in from KC for the USC game because we were supposed to kick butt and take names that year.

1997 AU vs La Tech

I grew up a Bama fan for the first 14-15 years of my life and saw a ton of games at Legion/BDS growing up, including Peyton Manning's coming out party against Bama in '94.  Didn't make the full conversion to AU until 2000.  I've now easily been to over 100 games with at least 20-25 being away from JHS.

1966 Auburn @ Florida, 27-30 in Gainesville, Spurrier's Heisman year.  Having grown up in Florida it was a really big game for me. I think Florida cheated but I'm not sure.  ;D

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

It was... I wasn't at the Tech Game... just flew in from KC for the USC game because we were supposed to kick butt and take names that year.

Very disappointing back to back losses........we looked horrible against Tech and Tech wasnt even that good in my opinion........Went to OK Diner in Atlanta after game.......was waiting for table surrouned by Tech fans.......arrogantly talking as if they were going to win a National Title?

I have to admit was my first time attending game in Atlanta.....loved the way the buildings set up a nice back drop at the stadium....and the Rambling Wreck looked pretty cool as the team takes the field.

On 6/3/2018 at 5:53 PM, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

2000 AU vs Wyoming. RUDI JOHNSON!! RUDI JOHNSON!!! RUUUUDI JOHNSONNN!!!!!!!

I was there for that one.  It was on a Thursday night and not even a sellout.  That’s also the game in which Rashard Gilyard completely knocked the helmet off the receiver from Wyoming.  And...if memory serves me correctly this was also the night they began the tradition of flying the eagle before kickoff.

4 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I was there for that one.  It was on a Thursday night and not even a sellout.  That’s also the game in which Rashard Gilyard completely knocked the helmet off the receiver from Wyoming.  And...if memory serves me correctly this was also the night they began the tradition of flying the eagle before kickoff.

1 hour ago, kevon67 said:

Very disappointing back to back losses........we looked horrible against Tech and Tech wasnt even that good in my opinion........Went to OK Diner in Atlanta after game.......was waiting for table surrouned by Tech fans.......arrogantly talking as if they were going to win a National Title?

I have to admit was my first time attending game in Atlanta.....loved the way the buildings set up a nice back drop at the stadium....and the Rambling Wreck looked pretty cool as the team takes the field.

I never went to a game at Tech.  My one friend who was a student was an Auburn fan. He didn't care a lick about Tech football.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I never went to a game at Tech.  My one friend who was a student was an Auburn fan. He didn't care a lick about Tech football.

Lol you can believe I would not have been there if Auburn wasnt playing  Tech that day?

Auburn - Miami August 27 1984 in the old Meadowlands stadium. Lost 18-20, but as I recall it never felt that close.

We were sitting right in front of Kevin Greene's family.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

1997 AU vs La Tech

I grew up a Bama fan for the first 14-15 years of my life and saw a ton of games at Legion/BDS growing up, including Peyton Manning's coming out party against Bama in '94.  Didn't make the full conversion to AU until 2000.  I've now easily been to over 100 games with at least 20-25 being away from JHS.

I want to hear that story in detail?......no matter the road just glad to have you?

Back in 2001 was on a buisness trip with a good friend and die hard bama fan.....unlike most this one had class.

I drove him around the campus and stopped at Toomers Drug Store where I purchased a white Auburn Golf hat...when they shaped like the hat Greg Norman used to wear...we got in the Yukon and was leaving Auburn......my friend reaches in the bag and says....you tell anyone I'll say your lying....he puts on the hat, lets the window down and shouts Warrr Eagle!!!!! ?

53 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I want to hear that story in detail?......no matter the road just glad to have you?

Back in 2001 was on a buisness trip with a good friend and die hard bama fan.....unlike most this one had class.

I drove him around the campus and stopped at Toomers Drug Store where I purchased a white Auburn Golf hat...when they shaped like the hat Greg Norman used to wear...we got in the Yukon and was leaving Auburn......my friend reaches in the bag and says....you tell anyone I'll say your lying....he puts on the hat, lets the window down and shouts Warrr Eagle!!!!! ?

That's an awesome story!

Mine is actually pretty fun.  My whole family (dad, grandpa, grandma, uncles) were Bama fans, so I grew up that way.  My parents got divorced when I was five and my dad moved away, so I stayed a Bama fan mostly because that's all I knew.  A friend of mine's family had season tickets and often took me to games for free at Legion or BDS.  I hated Auburn (I promise, I've atoned for this).

When I was a teenager, my mom started dating my soon to be step-dad, who is an AU grad.  He got free tickets to games often and invited us along.  I'm also a huge Denver Broncos fan, so I started going to AU games by wearing my Broncos jersey so that I didn't insult him and the teams had the same colors.  This happened in 98 & 99.

But what really turned me was basketball.  I LOVED going to Beard-Eaves for games and went to nearly every home game during the great '99-2000 season.  The cool thing was that my step-dad never pressured me.  He let my conversion happen naturally and taught me about the school/traditions as we went along.

The nail in the coffin was in 2000 when I was looking at where to go to school.  I knew that I was more advanced than most high school kids in my field (I already had two years of professional experience by age 17), so I wanted to go somewhere that I could jump right in to student media.  I couldn't afford to go out-of-state, so I had three choices:  Troy, Alabama, or Auburn.

My Troy visit went fine, but the campus was just too small for my liking.  On my visit to Alabama, the department head said that I couldn't touch equipment for two years.  I told her "you'll regret that" and then went to Auburn for a visit.  They told me I could do as much as I wanted to right away, so I was in.  Two years later, I won an Associated Press award for student reporting and found that UA department head at the ceremony just to remind her of the mistake she made.

My AU visit happened to be about a week before the 2000 UGA game (we won 29-26 in OT).  My step-dad took me on the visit and I told him that day after our tours and meetings I was coming to Auburn.  He broke out the biggest smile I've ever seen, took me to Tiger Rags and said "Get anything you want".  I picked out a nice polo and wore it to the tailgate/game the next week.  At the tailgate, his college buddy gave me crap for wearing an Auburn shirt and that's when I  said "It's rude to say that to a future fellow alum".  He dropped his beer and bear hugged me.

The rest is history.  I now hold two degrees from AU and refuse to wear red, with the exception of one Colorado Avalanche shirt that I own because they are my favorite hockey team.  Been to both national title games, far too many road games to count (football, basketball, and baseball), was the local Alumni Club President for a few years, have taught at AU, etc.  I love the place more than just about anything in my life.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:05 PM, Mikey said:

If I had to pick a decade, I actually "grew up" in the '50's. (born in 1942) What wasn't to like? Elvis, Chuck Berry, The Platters, Buddy Holly. Where I grew up in downtown Miami it wasn't "Leave it to Beaver". More like the movie "Blackboard Jungle' but that was Ok too.

wow watched it again a few nights ago

On 6/4/2018 at 9:38 AM, 80Tiger said:

AU -UF- 1969. Sat in the wooden bleachers in the north end zone. Buckets of interceptions by AU that day and first glimpse of Sullivan to Beasly

Seems like we had 7 picks not sure

1933 vs Howard aka Samford won 18-7.........j/k. 

Seriously 1959 vs Ms. St. in B'ham yes we use to play Ms. St. in B'ham as a home game we won 31-0. yep @Slammer1has me beat

First game at Cliff Hare 1960 vs Miami we won 20-7 took my Dad about 6 hours to drive there from northwest Al. due to lack of interstates hyw. 

Archived