What was your first Auburn game?

RunInRed

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Something about sons picking up their dad's rival as their favorite team.....my son has been a bama since he was about 8 or 10 ...guess that is a kid's way of rebelling against a parent in a manner that won't get him spanked or grounded....

Won't get him spanked or grounded?  Why not?

;)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Happens?

Mostly raising my kids in Tloosa, I ended up ended up w./ a Crimson-veined daughter and a son who would rather eat a bug than watch football.

My uncle's (he was a bammer grad) family was sorta that way except they hated T'loosa so bad my one cousin, he liked Auburn (ended up at UAB) and the other cousin.....yes, she would rather eat a bug than follow ANY sports.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Something about sons picking up their dad's rival as their favorite team.....my son has been a bama since he was about 8 or 10 ...guess that is a kid's way of rebelling against a parent in a manner that won't get him spanked or grounded....

My Dad/Mom were huge turd fans even took me to see bama before my first Auburn game. I got a Joe Namath autograph still have the damn thing somewhere. My uncle had graduated from bama in 1939 and all the family just assumed I would go to bama and play golf. When I went to Auburn both ofmy parents saw the light and changed into big Auburn fans

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

My Dad/Mom were huge turd fans even took me to see bama before my first Auburn game. I got a Joe Namath autograph still have the damn thing somewhere. My uncle had graduated from bama in 1939 and all the family just assumed I would go to bama and play golf. When I went to Auburn both ofmy parents saw the light and changed into big Auburn fans

And a child shall lead them.....

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

;)

He's pretty innocuous about it...became a Wake Forest fan when we moved to North Carolina in elementary school and went to UNCH.  And like most bama fans, I doubt he could find Tuscaloosa on a map without the help of his GPS.  

One thing I can guarantee....he NEVER had a bama pennant on his wall...was more of a baseball fan anyway so it was mostly Red Sox...and how could you not love a kid who was a big Red Sox fan  ?  ?

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

;)

52e1bfbe0cbad8d42b224ccc87df2973-2.gif

14 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Happens?

Mostly raising my kids in Tloosa, I ended up ended up w./ a Crimson-veined daughter and a son who would rather eat a bug than watch football.

I feel like your son at times. Depends on who’s calling plays for us......

On 6/6/2018 at 1:11 PM, SumterAubie said:

1974 Auburn vs Tennessee. Auburn wins 21-0. In the 4th quarter, Auburn fans were calling down to Coach Jordan to have the offense punt on 3rd down. Seems Tennessee had done just that in a 21-0 win over Auburn the year before in Knoxville. Shug, being the gentleman he was, declined to stoop to that level.

First off, I was at both games. I have never understood why AU fans took exception to UT punting on 1st down. The game was being played in a driving rain storm. Both teams were fumbling almost every other snap. The only way UT could lose that game was to fumble the ball away. I think that had the score been reversed, we'd have punted on 1st down too, it was the smart thing to do. The next year was a fine, dry day in Auburn. There was no need to punt early. Though Shug was indeed a gentleman, not punting on 1st down had nothing to do with his character. He was also a smart football coach and knew very well why UT punted on 1st down the previous year.

23 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

And a child shall lead them.....

I guess I was that child in my family. My dad is 100% Bama. The rest of the family was supposed to follow suit I suppose. Well, thank God and Pat Sullivan, I became an Auburn fan. My sister's later switched and now all the kids, niece's and nephews are all Auburn. My dad is the lone Bama fan in the family. I love him for many reasons and especially for the fact that he never bought me a crimson jersey as a kid. 

I was 15 on October 31, 1970 in Gainesville.  I am a Florida Tiger.  Florida was crowing about John Reaves and Carlos Alvarez.  We brought in the lesser-known Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley.  Auburn won 63-14 . It was not as close as the score indicated.  I have never seen a score-board cut off so quickly after the gun!  

On 6/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, augolf1716 said:

I thought you were older that Namath....

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

I thought you were older that Namath....

Actually now that you say that my Dad got Namath autograph not me cause I did not go to see bama at that time. Yes I am older then Joe my memory slips at times

On 6/8/2018 at 9:49 AM, augolf1716 said:

i love a happy ending. gosh someone hand me a tissue i am getting misty here....waves

not trying to be a downer but for one of the older guys than me i would like someone to tell me what happened when tennessee chatanooga beat us.

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually now that you say that my Dad got Namath autograph not me cause I did not go to see bama at that time. Yes I am older then Joe my memory slips at times

nice one alexava

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, alexava said:

‘93 New Mexico St. 55-7 maybe? Stan set a record for consecutive completions. 

Very cold that day and windy if I remember correctly.

1st time ever....1970 at Florida Field...Sullivan and the offense went off...destroyed Florida...don't remember the score, but there were a lot of Auburn TD's and a lot of John Reeve's interceptions...

On 6/10/2018 at 9:09 AM, aubiefifty said:

not trying to be a downer but for one of the older guys than me i would like someone to tell me what happened when tennessee chatanooga beat us.

I don't think they ever beat us. I looked it up on the below source and it shows AU to be 21-0-0 vs the Mocs. I'm pretty sure we had a close one with them back in the late 1960's, maybe 14-7? Their excellent coach, Sparky Moore, kicked a pile of towels during his "fire 'em up" halftime locker-room speech. There was a water pipe under the towels so he broke his foot in the AU locker room. That was memorable but I don't think they ever beat us.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/all-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2017&team=

My first Auburn Football game was as a student Sept 20th 1969 Auburn we spanked Wake Forest at the beginning of the Sullivan Beasley era.  I graduated from HS in Mission Bay, Ca. and came to Auburn pretty much on a whim. Really knew nothing about Auburn. Orientation was first time in Alabama. That whim was one of the best decisions of my life. What a first game and what an introduction to Auburn football.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't think they ever beat us. I looked it up on the below source and it shows AU to be 21-0-0 vs the Mocs. I'm pretty sure we had a close one with them back in the late 1960's, maybe 14-7? Their excellent coach, Sparky Moore, kicked a pile of towels during his "fire 'em up" halftime locker-room speech. There was a water pipe under the towels so he broke his foot in the AU locker room. That was memorable but I don't think they ever beat us.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/all-opp.pl?start=1869&end=2017&team=

an old boss of mine who was a bama fan kept the sports headline in his desk to mess with auburn fans. i assumed it was true but i could never get my head around how they beat us and no one i asked ever knew..........shrugs

i just tried googling it and it came up all vols stuff.......sighs

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

an old boss of mine who was a bama fan kept the sports headline in his desk to mess with auburn fans. i assumed it was true but i could never get my head around how they beat us and no one i asked ever knew..........shrugs

The same way that bama keeps adding fictional championships. If someone says it and it's pro-bama or anti-Auburn, then to a bama fan it's gospel truth.

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The same way that bama keeps adding fictional championships. If someone says it and it's pro-bama or anti-Auburn, then to a bama fan it's gospel truth.

to be fair it was the whole sports section he showed me. maybe a misprint is all i can think of. sure looked legit to me and i took the paper all my life

http://football.stassen.c

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

to be fair it was the whole sports section he showed me. maybe a misprint is all i can think of. sure looked legit to me and i took the paper all my life

Let's try it this way, my previous link didn't work.

Click here http://football.stassen.com/records/

Then scroll down a little and choose "All opponent records"

Then fill in "Auburn"

Then scroll down to "Tennessee-Chatanooga"

Maybe your former boss had enough bammer in him to have the paper made up. I remember being in New Orleans one time and you could get about any page you wanted printed for a small price. I'm not saying this source is infallible but I'd put it up against something a bammer saved to rag on people with.

Archived